The 6.8 Western, By Jesse Werner

gerry35

WKR
The 6.5PRC barrel I'll be using is a factory take off. I've had great luck with Tikka barrels, and try to use them when available in the twist I'm looking for.

I've used the MT long action Billet Mag for short magnums, and function has been flawless. I run them with a long action bolt stop. That set up will yield all the COAL you can use in a short mag. The OEM long action mags might also work well, but as I think about it, I can't recall ever running them with short mags.

I'm running a 7mm RM in a Tikka with 3.715 AICS mags. Functions flawlessly, but I'm not the biggest fan of the mag hanging down on a rifle that gets carried in hand a lot. Would be nice if someone would offer a near flush mount, long action AICS. I know there used to be some available, but they appear to be discontinued.
That's how I ended up with my 260 Rem, a barrel from a RH Tikka swapped over to a LH gun and love it. Super accurate. I'm saving the 300 WSM barrel for when the 6.8 barrel gets burned up.

I was leery about that long action MT magazine for a short mag but it seems a few guys are running them with no issues. The standard long action OEM mag from my wife's Tikka 6.5x55 is too narrow inside for the fat WSM rounds as is. I have read that people have used a dremel tool on the inside to give it a bit more room to make it work. I would personally just go with the Mountain Tactical magazine first.

MDT has a 3 round WSM magazine that might sit flush but it looks like they only offer 5 round and 10 round for the belted magnums.

I can't speak to the MDT AICS for short mags, but I am running the MDT 3 round, 3.715 AICS in a 7mm RM Tikka.

They protrude about even with the bottom of the trigger guard, so they don't catch on anything that the trigger guard wouldn't have already, but, depending on the rig's balance, they can still adversely affect how one carries a rifle in hand. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, more of a preference/intended use thing. And, like everyone else, I want it all without compromise.

It is very handy to have the option for 5 and 10 round mags at the range and when messing around. I guess next rig I'll have to go with the Hawkins M5 bottom metal.

People keep saying this, but it's not remotely true.

Hornady makes an eld-x in 277 with a .536G1, though they really should made a better one.
Berger make's a VLD and an EOL with .518 and .662 G1 BC's respectively
Barnes makes an LRX and is rumored to make a better one. .46G1
Nosler makes the BT with a .56 and LRAB at .62
Sierra makes the TGK at .56
Badlands makes a SBD-2 with a .71 G1.

The only BC you can argue is low there is Barnes, but that's not different than their 6.5 or 7mm offerings.

Just curious, what other bullet manufactures are you wanting to put out high BC 277 bullets? Or is .5-.7 not high BC anymore?

I know you can get into the .7's with the 7mm stuff, but to push those heavy bullets at the same speeds you're talking a significant increase in recoil.
For that matter, some 338s and 375s have some really high BC's approaching 1.0.
Availability is the elephant in the room here. I can't get anything on that list and the only loaded ammo is the Copper impact which I picked up 2 boxes for break-in and brass.

Availability is the elephant in the room here. I can't get anything on that list and the only loaded ammo is the Copper impact which I picked up 2 boxes for break-in and brass.

Great point.

Certain readers don't care to acknowledge it, but availability isn't synonymous with being listed in manufacturers' catalogs.

Last edited:

todd m

FNG
"...Copper impact which I picked up 2 boxes for break-in and brass"... all it's good for. Berger 170 EOL supposed to come out in next week or so. Hammer has plenty 162s but damn they're spendy.

gerry35

WKR
Yes it's tough to find components right now, so you got to jump on them when you can. Picked up some 170 gr Ballistic Tip's last week which I'm pumped about to go with some Berger 170's and Sierra 175's already here. Have lots of 150's to go through from my 270 Win, that's the beauty of this round, you can still shoot lighter weight bullets. Just got to find some brass, if not I'll neck down some 300 WSM brass, did a few which other than a bunch of trimming was easy to do. Have some brass and factory ammo on order locally.

I read on a 6.8 Western Facebook group that Peterson is coming out with brass fairly soon which is awesome news!

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
For ammo I can easily find 162 coppers, 170 Ballistic Silvertip, 170 BTHP and 170 PowerPoint online currently. As low as $2 per pop.

As far as bullets, I buy 170EOL and 165 ABLR when you can find them for hunting and then burn 145 ELD-X for plinking/targets because they're cheap and constructed too light for hunting (IMO)

z987k

WKR
You can order the badland's on their website.
Nosler's have been impossible to find, but that's not unique to the 277 caliber.

I've bought the LRX locally, so I know those are available. I've also bought them last year direct from Barnes. On their website right now, the only LRX available is in 30 cal.
The EOL isn't available in any other caliber either.
The Sierra's are also unavailable in any other caliber.

So I don't see anything unique about the 277 here.

todd m

FNG
I read on a 6.8 Western Facebook group that Peterson is coming out with brass fairly soon which is awesome news!
I emailed Peterson, Lapua, ADG, and Starline. Your sources are incorrect. Peterson said it's not in the cards for at least 2 more years and they'd need to see a large increase in demand. Lapua and ADG said no way never. Starline said they would consider it if they could meet current demand with all their other cartridges but can't so...no.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
You can order the badland's on their website.
Nosler's have been impossible to find, but that's not unique to the 277 caliber.

I've bought the LRX locally, so I know those are available. I've also bought them last year direct from Barnes. On their website right now, the only LRX available is in 30 cal.
The EOL isn't available in any other caliber either.
The Sierra's are also unavailable in any other caliber.

So I don't see anything unique about the 277 here.
On Wednesday, Midway had some Noslers in stock.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Great point.

Certain readers don't care to acknowledge it, but availability isn't synonymous with being listed in manufacturers' catalogs.
At the time of this article being posted...there were several choices in ammo available. As you know...it ebbs and flows. Lets hope they get their a$$es in gear again!

At the time of this article being posted...there were several choices in ammo available. As you know...it ebbs and flows. Lets hope they get their a$$es in gear again!
I didn't look at what load they are specifically, but a local retailer I frequent had several different 6.8W loads in stock earlier this week. Looked to be a lot of boxes in each slot. Price seemed decent.

There was also 2 boxes of 7PRC 175 ELD-X in stock. They are in my gun room now. I don't currently have a 7PRC, and I need another fast .284 like higher taxes . . . but I can feel it in the air that some way or another one's coming my way at some point. Was going to wait till a 7mm RM Tikka I have needed a new barrel, but not sure I care to be that patient. We'll see.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Over the past couple of years that I've been shooting this round, I've had overall great success finding availability of components. Just wishing someone beside Winchester/Browning would make brass.

IMG_3887.JPEG Personally, I had better luck finding the components for my 6.8 over my 30-06 until recently.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Peterson, Lapua, ADG, and Starline. Your sources are incorrect. Peterson said it's not in the cards for at least 2 more years and they'd need to see a large increase in demand. Lapua and ADG said no way never. Starline said they would consider it if they could meet current demand with all their other cartridges but can't so...no.
This is what Lapua emailed me:

Hi Lou,

We have not heard of any plans for the 6.8 Western anytime soon, but it's been a very popular request. Lapua didn't bring out anything new last year at all and are likely going to be playing catchup most of this year as well. I will add that request to our list we keep for them to show interest in potential new products but it likely will not happen in the immediate future. We'll certainly ask though!

Doesn’t sound quite as negative as no way never. Keep sending in requests folks. It will happen. The guns are rolling now. 66 models from 4 different makers on sportsmans. I thought I saw on one of the 6.8FB pages peterson was looking at later this year as well. Maybe that changed or misread it

Lou

Last edited:

todd m

FNG
This is what Lapua emailed me:

Hi Lou,

We have not heard of any plans for the 6.8 Western anytime soon, but it's been a very popular request. Lapua didn't bring out anything new last year at all and are likely going to be playing catchup most of this year as well. I will add that request to our list we keep for them to show interest in potential new products but it likely will not happen in the immediate future. We'll certainly ask though!

Doesn’t sound quite as negative as no way never. Keep sending in requests folks. It will happen. The guns are rolling now. 66 models from 4 different makers on sportsmans. I thought I saw on one of the 6.8FB pages peterson was looking at later this year as well. Maybe that changed or misread it

Lou
I was mistaken - went back and checked my emails to the manufacturers. Here's what my email said:

Hi Todd,

We've not heard of any official plans for the 6.8 Western yet, but it's been a fairly popular request. I will add yours to our list we keep for Lapua when they want input on potential new products. Since they didn't bring out anything new this year anything already planned has likely been pushed back into 2023 or later. I wouldn't expect to see it in the immediate future, but we'll certainly ask for it though!

Corey Schwanz
Technical Support

Capstone Precision Group, LLC.

The others from a FB group I'm in who've mailed have received the same reply.

That said, there's 7 SAUM, 6.5 SAUM, or WSM brass that can be had for fireforming/modifying....when you can find it.

todd m

FNG
I just emailed peterson and all they said was we do have plans but no details. Lol

Lou
Here's the response I got from Peterson several months ago:

"That is a caliber that has been discussed in our development meetings, but nothing has been decided so far."