The 6.8 Western, By Jesse Werner

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a really great cartridge. Despite the terminal performance, it shoots soft on the shoulder. That’s one consideration that seems to be lacking from the magnum folks. I had a similar experience with a mule deer Buck this year. Quartered toward at 50 yds, blew out the front shoulder and both lungs, ran - more like stumbled - 20 yards downhill and folded like a pile of bricks.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hows the recoil?
I have a .270 for reference
Before I put the TiPro brake on it just using the worthless factory Browning brake, it was pretty stout. Of course, that was pressure testing with no scope on it either. The extra couple pounds would make a big difference at bringing recoil down. I have not shot a regular .270 so I can't say how they compare. With this TiPro1 on it, I'd say it's similar to .243 without a brake. It's a pleasure to shoot

atmat

WKR
Are you at all worried that the 6.8W will not find support and drift into obscurity? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I love the idea of it, particularly that it’s another stout short action. But no one is producing factory ammo outside of Browning/Winchester. And many of the larger firearms manufacturers aren’t putting any guns chambered in it.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Are you at all worried that the 6.8W will not find support and drift into obscurity? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I love the idea of it, particularly that it’s another stout short action. But no one is producing factory ammo outside of Browning/Winchester. And many of the larger firearms manufacturers aren’t putting any guns chambered in it.
I can't say I'm not concerned about it. It's also kinda hard to gauge the popularity. There's multiple Facebook groups set up for 6.8 Western fans, I see quite a bit of popularity on the different hunting/shooting forums and ammunition flies off of the shelves.

I don't have any sales numbers for 6.8 rifles from Winchester and Browning, but if that info is publicly available, it could be a good indicator as well. I've been encouraging folks on the different pages to continue sending emails to ADG and Petersen requesting brass. I think that will be attractive to potential 6.8 owners as the factory Winchester isn't the best.

Unckebob

WKR

I would have a 6.8W barrel right now if
(a) other ammo companies made cartridges for it
(b) other rifle companies chambered for it
(c) Good, plentiful 270 heavy for caliber bullets were plentiful.

When that happens, I'll probably get one.

atmat

WKR
Agreed. It just concerns me that so many gun manufacturers immediately jumped on the 7mm prc train, while it’s been a year without many committing to 6.8W.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
For the “standard” guys I see Browning, Win chambering for 6.8W and Mossberg, Remington, Savage, Ruger for the 7prc. Christensen arms does both. So I expext more “bargain” guns available for the 7prc given the list. Curious how this will work out as typically dont see magnums do that great in bargain guns given the chinky stocks and less than great recoil pads. It would also not surprise me to see both rounds eventually chambered in all or most of these over next few years plus some of the offshore brands

As far as other folks on 7prc list they are all 3k plus semi-custom. I dont see that as advantage one way or other. You can build anything you want in that price range and get the exact components you want vs paying for somebody else’s idea of a custom gun

Lou

atmat

WKR
For the “standard” guys I see Browning, Win chambering for 6.8W and Mossberg, Remington, Savage, Ruger for the 7prc. Christensen arms does both. So I expext more “bargain” guns available for the 7prc given the list. Curious how this will work out as typically dont see magnums do that great in bargain guns given the chinky stocks and less than great recoil pads. It would also not surprise me to see both rounds eventually chambered in all or most of these over next few years plus some of the offshore brands

As far as other folks on 7prc list they are all 3k plus semi-custom. I dont see that as advantage one way or other. You can build anything you want in that price range and get the exact components you want vs paying for somebody else’s idea of a custom gun

Lou
When you see Browning and Winchester supporting 6.8W, you have to remember that they’re the creators of the cartridge. So no other big player has jumped in for 2 years.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
When you see Browning and Winchester supporting 6.8W, you have to remember that they’re the creators of the cartridge. So no other big player has jumped in for 2 years.
Yep. But Win/Browning is a big enough player on their own to get started. For a long time #2, #3 in rifle sales and certainly both still in top 5. Also, nobody was doing anything for couple years during pandemic.

Of the big guys, Ruger and Savage will drive the 7 prc. Remington getting back on feet (and hope they return to glory) and mossberg small potatos in centerifre bolts. Ruger single handidly drove the 6.5 cm to prominence with their precision rifle and american before rest of world jumped on bandwagon so who knows what lights the fire

Lou

Hornady will drive the 7 PRC, why the 6.5 xx whatever is so popular, Hornady ammo production which is on the shelves along with bullets for reloaders. What's the #1 selling rifle caliber past few years? It's not because Hornady magically created a new mythical cartridge.

People fail to realize factory ammo drives cartridge adoption after marketing, and there is little to no ammo for the 6.8, it's dead on arrival.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady will drive the 7 PRC, why the 6.5 xx whatever is so popular, Hornady ammo production which is on the shelves along with bullets for reloaders. What's the #1 selling rifle caliber past few years? It's not because Hornady magically created a new mythical cartridge.

People fail to realize factory ammo drives cartridge adoption after marketing, and there is little to no ammo for the 6.8, it's dead on arrival.
There have been far more 6.8W ammo and brass available over last couple year than any of the PRC ammo. Win owns primer, powder, case, and bullets and can source the whole thing. Hornady does not. You may not see 6.8W with say Nosler bullets but you will see 6.8 with trophy copper available for ex since it is Win bullet (165 ablr ammos is available again currently by the way). Hornady marketing machine is good but Win is not bad. They are marketing via hunting shows vs podcasts but it is there. Working extremely well for the 350 Legend for ex. Who would have thought that round would be as popular as it is. Remington just launched a round to compete with it

The 6.5 cm is popular because it is an excellent low recoil design that checks a lot of boxes. The 6.5 prc is riding on 6.5 CM coat tails and time will tell if remains popular or mediocre. My vote is mediocre after some initial hooplah. Same with 6.8W and 7PRC.

Lou

There have been far more 6.8W ammo and brass available over last couple year than any of the PRC ammo. Win owns primer, powder, case, and bullets and can source the whole thing. Hornady does not. You may not see 6.8W with say Nosler bullets but you will see 6.8 with trophy copper available for ex since it is Win bullet (165 ablr ammos is available again currently by the way). Hornady marketing machine is good but Win is not bad. They are marketing via hunting shows vs podcasts but it is there. Working extremely well for the 350 Legend for ex. Who would have thought that round would be as popular as it is. Remington just launched a round to compete with it

The 6.5 cm is popular because it is an excellent low recoil design that checks a lot of boxes. The 6.5 prc is riding on 6.5 CM coat tails and time will tell if remains popular or mediocre. My vote is mediocre after some initial hooplah. Same with 6.8W and 7PRC.

Lou

Could please provide sources there are more 6.8 ammo and brass available then PRC? Are you saying all of PRC, or 7 PRC? Quick search shows more 6.5 PRC factory ammo not including brass all over, Win is the only one making 6.8 Western in quantities. I think there are 2x 6.8 Western brass manufactures, Winchester being the main one. I don't follow it, could be wrong.

Point being is when Lapua, Peterson, ADG, and Norma pick up your cartridge, it is not going anywhere not to mention the amount of factory chambering across the board. Both Winchester and Browning chamber Hornady's most popular offerings.

I'm not a Hornady guy, I do have a 375 Ruger but their marketing is something else. Be nice if they applied the marketing to the 280 AI :)

Could please provide sources there are more 6.8 ammo and brass available then PRC? Are you saying all of PRC, or 7 PRC? Quick search shows more 6.5 PRC factory ammo not including brass all over, Win is the only one making 6.8 Western in quantities. I think there are 2x 6.8 Western brass manufactures, Winchester being the main one. I don't follow it, could be wrong.

Point being is when Lapua, Peterson, ADG, and Norma pick up your cartridge, it is not going anywhere not to mention the amount of factory chambering across the board. Both Winchester and Browning chamber Hornady's most popular offerings.

I'm not a Hornady guy, I do have a 375 Ruger but their marketing is something else. Be nice if they applied the marketing to the 280 AI :)
Some dude on the Internet said there's more and that makes it true. And if you question that "fact", you run the risk of getting in trouble for hurting that individual's feelings.

Know how something is actually good? It is when the WKRs bash it. Look at all the WKR-hate on the 6.5 CM. And now the 6.5 PRC is mediocre.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider

I'm not a Hornady guy but their marketing is something else. Be nice if they applied to the 280 AI :)
I am not talking about number of manufacturers, I am talking about availability. More people may offer 6.5 prc, but it was not being made. Winchester did a much better job putting out batches of 6.8W than Hornady (or anybody else) did during the ammo crunch. Things are loosening up now so see PRC ammo coming back, but it was not there this time last year and 6.8W was is my point. So, who cares if say Lapua makes 6.5prc brass if they never do a run.

I will also comment that the “premium” brass guys make brass for cartridges where they think can get folks to pay 2-5 bucks a piece. Has nothing to do with popular. That is why you can buy mostly dead rounds like the 7 saum or 7 rum from adg but not 7 rem mag.

I am not saying the 6.8W is going to be more or less popular than any PRC round. Even if not as popular as 6.5 prc or whatever does not mean it still wont be popular. Seems to be catching on ok as Win / Browning selling guns/ammo fast as they can make it.

Lou

Some dude on the Internet said there's more and that makes it true. And if you question that "fact", you run the risk of getting in trouble for hurting that individual's feelings.

Know how something is actually good? It is when the WKRs bash it. Look at all the WKR-hate on the 6.5 CM. And now the 6.5 PRC is mediocre.

My flat brim hat and skinny jeans say otherwise 😂

I am not talking about number of manufacturers, I am talking about availability. More people may offer 6.5 prc, but it was not being made. Winchester did a much better job putting out batches of 6.8W than Hornady (or anybody else) did during the ammo crunch. Things are loosening up now so see PRC ammo coming back, but it was not there this time last year and 6.8W was is my point. So, who cares if say Lapua makes 6.5prc brass if they never do a run.

I will also comment that the “premium” brass guys make brass for cartridges where they think can get folks to pay 2-5 bucks a piece. Has nothing to do with popular. That is why you can buy mostly dead rounds like the 7 saum or 7 rum from adg but not 7 rem mag.

I am not saying the 6.8W is going to be more or less popular than any PRC round. Even if not as popular as 6.5 prc or whatever does not mean it still wont be popular. Seems to be catching on ok as Win / Browning selling guns/ammo fast as they can make it.

Lou

The large manufactures make calibers on a calendar run, then on to the next caliber outside of pistol rounds, maybe 223? For instance large bore by federal do a few pallets a year and move on to the next caliber. Retooling is too costly otherwise.

It was available because no one shot 6.8 Western would be my guess, not because Winchester made it constantly.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
My flat brim hat and skinny jeans say otherwise 😂

The large manufactures make calibers on a calendar run, then on to the next caliber outside of pistol rounds, maybe 223? For instance large bore by federal do a few pallets a year and move on to the next caliber. Retooling is too costly otherwise.

It was available because no one shot 6.8 Western would be my guess, not because Winchester made it constantly.
No. It would be in stock and sell out. Then new would show up. However I dont know if it was honest folks buying it or re-sellers these days. Local Cabelas had a new batch of 165 ablr the other day. Curious if it will be gone next time there

6.8W is doing well. Does not take away from PRC rounds in any way. It is a compliment actually given the similarities in design. For 100 years the 270 has been very popular and a top seller. More popular than any 7mm individually. The 270 wsm was second most popular of the short mags. The new
Military round is a 6.8. I dont see why it is hard to comprehend a fast twist 270 may end up doing well

Lou