The 22UM

khuber84

WKR
I think the 88 eldm or 90 atip will be tough to best. I know the 90s have a legit 307g7 bc to 1250y at 3100fps from a 7tw. 88s are near 0.280-285 from all I've read. I know the 88s expand reliably, however I've never put an atip on game.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
This was the goal from the very beginning (at least for me). A high BC .224 bullet at 3,500 to 3,700fps MV. Hit rates and danger space maximized, recoil minimized.

This looks like a very cool project.

Having read the 223 Mega Thread, the 77 TMK’s terminal performance surpasses all other current options, while the 88 ELD-M has superior external ballistic. As I understand, one performs better when it gets there, while the other should have a higher hit rate at greater distance.

Is there a distance threshold where given adequate terminal velocity, superior external ballistics supersede superior terminal performance? What push one or the other to be the projectile of choice in a given application?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This looks like a very cool project.

Having read the 223 Mega Thread, the 77 TMK’s terminal performance surpasses all other current options, while the 88 ELD-M has superior external ballistic. As I understand, one performs better when it gets there, while the other should have a higher hit rate at greater distance.

Yes and no. The 88gr ELD-M creates good wounding. I may slightly prefer the 77gr TMK shape or characteristics- but it isn’t a large difference.

Is there a distance threshold where given adequate terminal velocity, superior external ballistics supersede superior terminal performance? What push one or the other to be the projectile of choice in a given application?

The biggest difference between the ELD-M and TMK lines pretty much across the board, is that the jacket is slightly thicker on the TMK and it has a larger nose opening under the tip- both contribute to slightly deeper penetration generally and a lower velocity threshold for upset over ELD-M’s. The difference isn’t something to get hung up on however.

For me, if I will be shooting animals past 600’ish yards regularly with the setup, I generally would choose the 88gr ELD-M due the BC for wind. If under 600’ish yards I will generally choose the TMK as wind is easier to judge for me. All that aside, the 88gr ELD-M rates building a rifle around.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
ELD-M due the BC for wind. If under 600’ish yards I will generally choose the TMK as wind is easier to judge for me. All that aside, the 88gr ELD-M rates building a rifle around.

Just the clarity on the two bullets I was looking for. I suppose an additional 100K rounds and a few hundred additional harvestings would have enabled me to come to the same conclusion on my own. 😂
That’s just a 20 year head start you handed out.

Seriously, Thanks for taking the time, and showing the willingness to share your experience. I’ve benefitted greatly, and will try to follow pass along to others lessons learned.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Just the clarity on the two bullets I was looking for. I suppose an additional 100K rounds and a few hundred additional harvestings would have enabled me to come to the same conclusion on my own. 😂
That’s just a 20 year head start you handed out.

Seriously, Thanks for taking the time, and showing the willingness to share your experience. I’ve benefitted greatly, and will try to follow pass along to others lessons learned.

No problem. Share what you find if you try them.

khuber84

WKR
The oddity of the 77tmk, it has a very long bearing surface for it's weight, nearly the same as an 88eldm, maybe 20k shorter. It's def longer than say an 80eldm or 85.5 hybrid.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps that is a function of design to enable a shorter COAL, so as to facilitate standard AR mags…???
Just speculation on my part.

amassi

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3282301" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Pretty sweet little echo chamber we are building.

Straight from sierras website
“Another benefit is reliable feeding in magazine fed firearms. The 77 grain Tipped MatchKing (TMK) allows seating to an OAL that permits cartridges to be loaded into M16/AR15 magazines.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Straight from sierras website
“Another benefit is reliable feeding in magazine fed firearms. The 77 grain Tipped MatchKing (TMK) allows seating to an OAL that permits cartridges to be loaded into M16/AR15 magazines.”

Are you telling me I’m in an echo chamber filled with geniuses????
Seems about right.