The 22UM

This was the goal from the very beginning (at least for me). A high BC .224 bullet at 3,500 to 3,700fps MV. Hit rates and danger space maximized, recoil minimized.
Any real concerns with close range shots? And I get annoyed myself with the constant discussion of barrel life but this has got to be extremely short no?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Any real concerns with close range shots? And I get annoyed myself with the constant discussion of barrel life but this has got to be extremely short no?

I am not sure in close range impacts at that high of velocity. That will be something we look at in depth.

Barrel life, shrug. Probably 500-700 rounds. I don’t care. One, people don’t shoot that many rounds anyways. They always talk about “barrel life”, yet ridiculously few have ever shot a single rifle enough to wear one out.

This is a “shoot 20 rounds in load development, 10 rounds to zero and 10 rounds to true” rifle. 40 rounds and every shot after that is in an animal. 5-10 shots a year to check zero and data, it’ll last years.

CMP70306

WKR
I am not sure in close range impacts at that high of velocity. That will be something we look at in depth.

Barrel life, shrug. Probably 500-700 rounds. I don’t care. One, people don’t shoot that many rounds anyways. They always talk about “barrel life”, yet ridiculously few have ever shot a single rifle enough to wear one out.

This is a “shoot 20 rounds in load development, 10 rounds to zero and 10 rounds to true” rifle. 40 rounds and every shot after that is in an animal. 5-10 shots a year to check zero and data, it’ll last years.

I killed a 6.5 PRC in a year when I first got it with about 1000 rounds and I’m probably halfway through the second barrel. 500 to 700 rounds would be fine for a coyote/deer gun but with a new cartridge you’d probably toast the first barrel on testing different bullet powder combinations.

The second barrel would be more inline with your estimates though varmiting and target practice would definitely eat into the total.

That's how I view my hunting rifle that sees the most use. I put 400 rounds through it in 2 months and then decided to buy a 6.5 creedmoor to put rounds on instead of continue on with the 25 and burn out the barrel in another couple months.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I killed a 6.5 PRC in a year when I first got it with about 1000 rounds and I’m probably halfway through the second barrel. 500 to 700 rounds would be fine for a coyote/deer gun but with a new cartridge you’d probably toast the first barrel on testing different bullet powder combinations.

The second barrel would be more inline with your estimates though varmiting and target practice would definitely eat into the total.

I’m thinking less than 100 rounds of the very first one, or something is screwed up. I do not do endless ladders, charge weights, or any other nonsense. We’ll see.

amassi

WKR

Have 2 barrels reamed
The nice thing with wildcats, once you stumble on a bullet powder primer it tends to work barrel after barrel with the same reamer print

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Really intereted in how this stacks up to my 22 LRV.
6XC parent case, 90 gr berger.
39.3 gr h4350
3230 fps
24" Proof sendero, 1-7 twist
332,228 RPM so an online calculator says.

I havent had a problem with the bergers coming apart yet. Ive got about 100 rounds on it. I temper how much I shoot it as barrel life is 1k

Last edited:

B23

WKR
My 224 Terminator from Defensive Edge, I believe mine was the first one Shawn built, is shooting the 80gr ELD-M 3650 from a 8tw 28in Krieger and they are making it to the target and putting them in some pretty small groups. I'm using 48.5gr RL26 to get that 3650. 49gr RL26 pushes them over 3700 and they were still making the trip without blowing up. Now, once the throat starts getting a little scratchy/rough that could all change. After all, it is spinning those 80's 328,500 rpm but so far so good.

Look forward to hearing about the 22UM and how it compares to my 224 Terminator