The 22UM

khuber84

WKR
Ran 73gr hammer absolutes to 3700 from a 22" 8tw creedmoor(very full case of rl26), they shot well, killed well, but bc sucks.

It will be interesting seeing what bullets make it to the target after you get 200 ish rounds down the bore. I need to go back and look at some threads in the 22-284 to compare.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
What’s the theory on BC vs velocity for danger space calculation?

IIRC, going high BC to minimize horizontal dispersion due to wind calls was the biggest single improvement in hit probability.

In that vein, how does the faster and lower BC 22UM danger space compare to the slower (lol) and higher BC 6UM danger space in a 5-10mph wind?

Drop is math. Wind calls are art. Seems like minimizing the impact of the art would be … most prescient.

-J

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
The straight 22 saum or 220 redline was shooting 70gr Barnes tax at 3900 fps.
An improved +p 22 um probably capable of 3700 with an 88.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. That would be a gun to own. I’d love to see some impacts on bone and see how the eld handles it at those speeds. Behind the shoulder and its lights out.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the info. That would be a gun to own. I’d love to see some impacts on bone and see how the eld handles it at those speeds. Behind the shoulder and its lights out.
Just a guess, but I am gonna bet it will be just like the 6.5-300W with 147 ELD-Ms. I've seen two elk shot in the shoulder, one at 90 yards and the other at 150 yards. It was devastating and DRT.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Just a guess, but I am gonna bet it will be just like the 6.5-300W with 147 ELD-Ms. I've seen two elk shot in the shoulder, one at 90 yards and the other at 150 yards. It was devastating and DRT.
That’s killer performance. Going to be really cool to see. Not to mention you could have 3 rounds of 22 um in an elk before it knew what’s up.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Probably best to stay off the shoulder under 300 yards with the 22 UM or 6UM if you like meat:)
Haha you don’t like fist sized holes in your steaks!? You are right tho, probably an unnecessary question. I’d imagine anyone building a 6um or 22um is proficient enough at shooting to put it behind the shoulder at any distance.

Down here in southern Utah folks are shoulder shooting elk with 243 win varmint loads and wondering what went wrong.

B23

WKR
FWIW, I'd keep an eye on your brass length and be mindful not to get it to short. These overbore cartridges like a 22UM and brass that's a bit short tend to build carbon rings very quickly.

Haha you don’t like fist sized holes in your steaks!? You are right tho, probably an unnecessary question. I’d imagine anyone building a 6um or 22um is proficient enough at shooting to put it behind the shoulder at any distance.

Down here in southern Utah folks are shoulder shooting elk with 243 win varmint loads and wondering what went wrong.
People in southern Ut also drink tequila with mountain dew
just sayin