The 22UM

Can someone smarter than me explain how the UM cartridges make sense in a short barrel? Seem like the whole idea behind the 6 and 22um is to get max velocity out a short, suppressed barrel. Needing powders like N570 my mind immediately goes to thinking a good amount of the powder is not burning behind the bullet. Rather burning or not burning in the can. Also lots of potential for extreme carbon fouling/pressure spikes/shucking jackets/high maintenance? Is it possible to accumulate enough unburnt powder in a suppressor for it to become a pipe bomb? Help me understand this madness lol. I’ve had 77tmks blowup out of a 7.5t creedmoor that was semi dirty.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Can someone smarter than me explain how the UM cartridges make sense in a short barrel? Seem like the whole idea behind the 6 and 22um is to get max velocity out a short, suppressed barrel. Needing powders like N570 my mind immediately goes to thinking a good amount of the powder is not burning behind the bullet. Rather burning or not burning in the can. Also lots of potential for extreme carbon fouling/pressure spikes/shucking jackets/high maintenance? Is it possible to accumulate enough unburnt powder in a suppressor for it to become a pipe bomb? Help me understand this madness lol. I’ve had 77tmks blowup out of a 7.5t creedmoor that was semi dirty.

6UM
With a 20” barrel, 700 rounds no cleaning didn’t see any excess build up of carbon in the can.

16.5” barrel, I was increasing velocity way past max. That tells me it’s burning the powder.

No intel on the 22UM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Are yal planning to just switching bushings in a 6UM die for now? I have a spare tikka magnum action in the safe. Also bought a $260 witt machine 22cal can on sale with this or a 22/270imp in mind. That way I could run a 16” and not lose to much if the can gets destroyed from a bullet coming apart. This one has no bbl length restrictions.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
3c177f29518c5d037fde673928dd9fbf.jpg

Thank you Hornady!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m real curious if they designed the 80 eldx with higher RPM in mind.

No. Same basic parameters- 300k and less and you won’t have any/many issues. Get above that and it starts becoming more likely as you go up. At 3,500fps with an 8” twist, it’ll be 315,000 RPM. I’m comfortable with that.

Lawnboi

WKR
No. Same basic parameters- 300k and less and you won’t have any/many issues. Get above that and it starts becoming more likely as you go up. At 3,500fps with an 8” twist, it’ll be 315,000 RPM. I’m comfortable with that.
Do you have any other info on this bullet how closely it’s related to the 88 and 80 eldm, along with the 77tmk?

Curious why you would go down this road when the 88 eldm is available.