The 22 creedmoor thread

I just had a tikka 22-250 re chambered to 22cm for my dad. Only have 20 rounds through it so far but the factory hornady 80eldx ammo doesn’t look promising in this gun so far. It would shoot two shots about 1/2” then throw one anywhere from 1 1/2” to almost 4”. The 15 round group was like 6”. Going to load up some 88’s and some 77tmk’s and see how that goes.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I just had a tikka 22-250 re chambered to 22cm for my dad. Only have 20 rounds through it so far but the factory hornady 80eldx ammo doesn’t look promising in this gun so far. It would shoot two shots about 1/2” then throw one anywhere from 1 1/2” to almost 4”. The 15 round group was like 6”. Going to load up some 88’s and some 77tmk’s and see how that goes.
Get around 100 rounds through it before you start really chasing inches.

My factory Tikka barrel also preferred 77 TMKs averaging better than 1" at 100 for rounds 100-200 through the gun.

The 80 ELDXs, now that the barrel is fully broken in, has them right at 1" or slightly better at 100. Maintaining "1 MOA" (8" gong) at 800 yards as well with consistent hits.

This is by far my favorite gun to shoot now. Didn't think I'd ever say that over my weatherby's but it's true. Anyway, enough preaching.

80.5g Berger fullbore .015" from lands
H4350
Fed210
3340 fps
Bartlein 1:7.7" 20"
42 rounds down the tube
Chambered by Beanland

Runnin a SiCo harvester 30 and it's super quiet.
5 shot groups with horrible mirage and 12 mph wind were well under 1/2" with single digit SD's.

Haven't had a chance to shoot any critters yet. Been too busy with work. Can't wait to shed some blood with it though.

@mxgsfmdpx good to know. Also, not a fan of waiting 100-200 rounds for a barrel to be worth a crap. I think my dad bought 100 rounds of the ammo so we’ll shoot all of it this weekend and see if it gets better.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
@mxgsfmdpx good to know. Also, not a fan of waiting 100-200 rounds for a barrel to be worth a crap. I think my dad bought 100 rounds of the ammo so we’ll shoot all of it this weekend and see if it gets better.
Yeah man, 4" is unacceptable for a factory Tikka barrel and factory ammo regardless of round count honestly. Who did the chambering and smith work?

Also, I'm assuming its a newer 8 twist .22-250 and not the older 10 or14 twist?

Edit: Also, if it's still in the factory stock make sure it's fully free floated and seated and torqued properly into the recoil lug.

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR

I would imagine you should see better results with handloads, so curious to hear about your results.

Yeah man, 4" is unacceptable for a factory Tikka barrel and factory ammo regardless of round count honestly. Who did the chambering and smith work?

Also, I'm assuming its a newer 8 twist .22-250 and not the older 10 or14 twist?

Edit: Also, if it's still in the factory stock make sure it's fully free floated and seated and torqued properly into the recoil lug.
New 8 twist. I just told my dad two days ago I want to put his gun in my factory stock that I hogged out or he can test it in one of my Rokstoks.

Duh

WKR
Just got a 20 inch barrel, 7.5 twist, from Preferred Barrel Blanks for my wife’s Sig cross. Dropped it off at the smith today and should have it back in a few weeks.

Ordered a bunch of 77 TMKs for it so hopefully they work with 4350 or 4831.

huntnful

WKR
Anyone legitimately shot out a 22 CM barrel? Just curious on the stats of round count as well as bullet and powder.

I think I'm going to have a new one built next year, and shoot out the barrel with the same load from start to finish, with lots of documentation on group sizes, velocity variation, and round count of course.

Anyone legitimately shot out a 22 CM barrel? Just curious on the stats of round count as well as bullet and powder.

I think I'm going to have a new one built next year, and shoot out the barrel with the same load from start to finish, with lots of documentation on group sizes, velocity variation, and round count of course.
That would be cool

waspocrew

WKR

I think that sounds awesome.

I only have 450 rounds down my 22 CM barrel and she's still sitting pretty. I'm curious to see how long it takes before the accuracy goes downhill.

I have a 22-250 AI barrel I pulled a while ago at 900 rounds. Still had plenty of life left, but wanted to toss my 300 BLK barrel on the Zermatt action. The barrel was not babied and was still printing .5 MOA or better with 77 TMK, 88 ELDMs, etc.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

I’m keeping track of total round count on mine with a factory Tikka barrel. I’ll update here as it will get shot a lot.

maybe not shot out..my first one started popping 88eld about 1 in 10 shots maybe 500 rounds in? It was also a 1:7 twist that was really slow for some reason.

Current rechambered tikka has started to open up a bit at 400 rounds or so. Could be a few different things to be fair..it’s blued and got super rusty, haven’t bore scoped it to see if the inside is bad or not.

Very interested in your results, I ended up ordering a new prefit last night for next hunting season.

ID_Matt

WKR
Jealous of you guys prepping the 22's to use for hunting season. I am headed to wyoming first where they don't allow them, so have to bring the 6mm and not sure I will have time between wyoming and idaho to swap the 22 barrel back on!

huntnful

WKR
maybe not shot out..my first one started popping 88eld about 1 in 10 shots maybe 500 rounds in? It was also a 1:7 twist that was really slow for some reason.

Current rechambered tikka has started to open up a bit at 400 rounds or so. Could be a few different things to be fair..it’s blued and got super rusty, haven’t bore scoped it to see if the inside is bad or not.

Very interested in your results, I ended up ordering a new prefit last night for next hunting season.
Good info. I’ll be shooting an 1-8 twist with 80 ELDM’s and H4350. Bought 1200 rounds worth of everything last night. 500 pieces of Alpha brass will make it easier to keep track also

The Guide

WKR
Jealous of you guys prepping the 22's to use for hunting season. I am headed to wyoming first where they don't allow them, so have to bring the 6mm and not sure I will have time between wyoming and idaho to swap the 22 barrel back on!
You can use 22 cal for deer and antelope in Wyoming but 6mm is required for all others.

Jay