The 22 creedmoor thread

huntnful

WKR
Got a little present from Hornady on my doorstep this morning. When I get back from AK I’ll see if this lot number shots as nicely as the previous.

View attachment 757786
I just priced out 1000 rounds of factory ammo and it was about $2500. Then I priced out if I loaded 1000 rounds in alpha OCD brass and it was about $1900. So I just decided to load my own and then I’d have the brass too. But with time being an issue, their factory ammo looks like it shoots excellent in a lot of guns!

It’ll take me like 20 hours to load 1000 rounds haha. Not much of a money savings in all honesty

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I just priced out 1000 rounds of factory ammo and it was about $2500. Then I priced out if I loaded 1000 rounds in alpha OCD brass and it was about $1900. So I just decided to load my own and then I’d have the brass too. But with time being an issue, their factory ammo looks like it shoots excellent in a lot of guns!

It’ll take me like 20 hours to load 1000 rounds haha. Not much of a money savings in all honesty
Yes sir. And I'm retired from re-loading so if anyone wants once fired 22 Creedmoor Hornady brass, PM me. Can ship in two weeks when I'm back from AK. Just pay shipping plus $20 for my fuel/time driving to and from shipping store.

huntnful

WKR
Yes sir. And I'm retired from re-loading so if anyone wants once fired 22 Creedmoor Hornady brass, PM me. Can ship in two weeks when I'm back from AK. Just pay shipping plus $20 for my fuel/time driving to and from shipping store.
That’s a hell of a deal!!

Yeah now that I think about it, paying someone $500 to load you 1000 rounds of ammo isn’t a bad deal at all 🤣🤣. I charge $1.50 a round in addition to components to load for people lol

Good breakdown. However you then you have to figure in the performance gained from reloading.
I could be interested, though I could just pick them up from you here in AK 😅

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good breakdown. However you then you have to figure in the performance gained from reloading.

I didn’t pack the empty brass (shocker) haha. Plus I’m sick, you don’t want whatever the hell this is that popped up late last night in my head/throat.

waspocrew

WKR

That figure is with all new Alpha brass right? Your figure will definitely look better when you are getting at least 5+ firings per piece with alpha.

Time is money though! I’m pretty invested in loading components, but great shooting factory ammo is hard to ignore when I can just buy it and shoot well.

Que? Buy 100-200 peices of brass and that works out different. For that cartridge i'd lean towards 100 pieces and call it a barrels worth.

huntnful

WKR
Que? Buy 100-200 peices of brass and that works out different. For that cartridge i'd lean towards 100 pieces and call it a barrels worth.
Yeah that was buying 1000 pieces of brass. For the price comparison sake. I ended up just buying 500 pieces. So $1300 for 1000 rounds with one batch of reloading. I’m prepping to do a long term test. And reloading the same 100 pieces 10-15 times might skew it a little. So I’m going to do 500 pieces twice or three times depending on barrel life. More for the sake of gathering data than saving money.

22CM will always be a staple in my arsenal now, so no harm in having a lot of brass from the same lot #

huntnful

WKR

Yeah and you could just plan to buy 200 pieces and reload it 5 times and save quite a bit more money, as well as dictate your own performance a little bit. I wasn’t very clear on why I was comparing the 1000 rounds of hornady ammo vs. 1000 rounds of hand loads. I initially was thinking about shooting out an entire barrel (possibly) with 1000 pieces of virgin brass for data’s sake. But that really isn’t necessary and I ended up just buying 500 pieces to save money hahaha

Thanks for all the info shared on this thread everyone - appreciate the no BS info! Been kicking the can down the road for a few years waiting to build one, so I can kick my 22-250 habit.

Ordered a few hundred rounds of 80gr eldm today - will use 100 to break in the barrel right away and then use that brass to work up some hand loads for coyotes.

I should have some data to share in October once archery season is over.

Why isn’t there more factory rifle options? Does anyone know if there is going to be anything released in the near future?

waspocrew

WKR
Why isn’t there more factory rifle options? Does anyone know if there is going to be anything released in the near future?

Because the 22 CM was just recently SAAMI approved. At this point, it's pretty easy to rechamber a 1:8 Tikka 22-250 or rebarrel with a brand of your choice if you have a different action.

I would think we might see some options in the future, maybe SHOT 2025?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Yeah and you could just plan to buy 200 pieces and reload it 5 times and save quite a bit more money, as well as dictate your own performance a little bit. I wasn’t very clear on why I was comparing the 1000 rounds of hornady ammo vs. 1000 rounds of hand loads. I initially was thinking about shooting out an entire barrel (possibly) with 1000 pieces of virgin brass for data’s sake. But that really isn’t necessary and I ended up just buying 500 pieces to save money hahaha

Save 250 for the next barrel. Once 250 pieces are fired, the barrel should be well broken in, and the remainder should stay basically the same as long as you have decent reloading practices. I’d rather do that than be half way through a barrel and have to deal with figuring out sizing and stuff.

But I’m a cheap bastard. And have a hard time firing brass 2-3 times then scrapping it

huntnful

WKR
Save 250 for the next barrel. Once 250 pieces are fired, the barrel should be well broken in, and the remainder should stay basically the same as long as you have decent reloading practices. I’d rather do that than be half way through a barrel and have to deal with figuring out sizing and stuff.

But I’m a cheap bastard. And have a hard time firing brass 2-3 times then scrapping it
Oh I wouldn’t scrap it. I’d just use it on the next barrel. My smith cuts my chambers within .001 of each other. Maybe I’ll just take him 2 barrels now that I think of it and get them done at the same time.

I use to be hesitant about using brass in other barrels. But that was when I was trying brass from different barrels from different smiths that had different reamers.

Barrels cut with the same reamer, to the same spec, I haven’t had any issues at all