The 22 creedmoor thread

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Something about factory ammo makes me happy.
wish it was more like the 6.5 creed at $35 a box but I bet it will get there in a bit.

ID_Matt

WKR
It actually results in a first round hit rate of worse than a 2.2 MOA system with your example. Imagine taking this and moving the shot group .1 or .2 mils away from center-

Being off zero is bad.
View attachment 586725

Take that 73%, move the cone a few inches in any direction and your hit rate drops by nearly half of that- 35’ish % at best.

Add some wind, and being off zero at all plummets your hit rate-
View attachment 586727

No doubt. And you are probably one of the few that spending the time and energy to go from an on demand 1.5 MOA, to an on demand 1 to 1.2 MOA is worth it. Someone has to practice (more like training) a lot, and be quite skilled to make it worth it, versus working on other aspects.
Form, what is the best way to ensure a perfect zero? Higher round count 10-20 shots and then adjust zero offset in your calculator? Assume it can be off less than .1 mil so will need some sort of adjusting.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
It actually results in a first round hit rate of worse than a 2.2 MOA system with your example. Imagine taking this and moving the shot group .1 or .2 mils away from center-

Being off zero is bad.
View attachment 586725

I had only thought about it in terms of the extreme spread, but that's a great point. Since the natural distribution is to have the majority of the shots closer to center, hit rate would go down even more than if the rifle was zero'd but less accurate. I guess playing with all those Monte Carlo's has side benefits...

Unrelated, I was with a group of folks with mixed experience yesterday, mostly not traditional gun guys. At the end of the shooting day we set rifles and ammo up for a .7 mil gong at a mile, anyone could jump in and go for it. 20 mph full value wind. The rifle options were industry provided 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka UPR's and 338 Lapua TRG's, all suppressed. Guess which platform had more people want to shoot them after a bit? I wasn't tracking, but the hit rates seemed pretty similar by casual observation. I know it took me the same amount of rounds to walk each one in when we were figuring the elevation corrections for the factory loads with not insignificant velocity dispersion.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, what is the best way to ensure a perfect zero? Higher round count 10-20 shots and then adjust zero offset in your calculator? Assume it can be off less than .1 mil so will need some sort of adjusting.

The most thorough way:

Find what the cone size is with 20+ shots. That can be shot in multiple groups, just get 20+ shots in one target and one point. Adjust based on the center of all shots- no discounting shots, then shoot 10 to confirm. Note the group size of the 20+ shot group, that’s your target. For example, if the 20 shots were 1.2” at 100 yards, use a 1” dot. From then on, given a solid system, whenever you check zero fire 1 or 2 shots and as long as they are in the dot or touching it, you’re good.

The shorter way that works:

Shoot 10 shots, adjust, shoot 10 shots. Look at the center of both groups and overlay them visually. What size ES would the 20 shots make? That becomes you target and then it’s the same as above for checking zero.

I do not put in an offset in the app. You can’t adjust for it, and putting in things you can’t adjust for tends to lead to problems. I have tried it heavily with quite a few people and have never seen any difference in hit rates than just zeroing POA/POI with higher shot group sizes as above.

There is a certain level of detail required to get consistent results, going beyond that gets tedious and ridiculous very quickly, and generally does not help in hitting animals- usually hurts.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Had so much fun over the weekend I just had to share
PXL_20230813_180700251.jpg
Picked this TS Customs 22CM up from a fellow Slider.
Short action Lone Peak Razor Ti
18" Benchmark Carbon
McMillan A3
Nice build.

Was immediately itchin to shoot it, so threw a scope on (also from a Slider) and ordered some factory Mead Ind factory ammo.
The ammo seems to be well built and packaged. Recommended for sure.
Impressive results both at the range and in dog town

Can't wait to play with reloads

kkp005

WKR
Had so much fun over the weekend I just had to share
View attachment 588626
Picked this TS Customs 22CM up from a fellow Slider.
Short action Lone Peak Razor Ti
18" Benchmark Carbon
McMillan A3
Nice build.

Was immediately itchin to shoot it, so threw a scope on (also from a Slider) and ordered some factory Mead Ind factory ammo.
The ammo seems to be well built and packaged. Recommended for sure.
Impressive results both at the range and in dog town

Can't wait to play with reloads
Nice rifle! How are you liking that Leica ?

I’ve got about 200 rounds on the barrel now. About 50 rounds ago the early pressure signs started to disappear. I think the barrel is done speeding up and settled in a 3100fps with 37.5gr of H4350. I did have a bullet blow up using h1000 at around 3100 so I’m hesitant to push it any faster. I also realized my barrel was not torqued down enough and caused some of the head scratcher misses/issues I’d been having.

10 shot groups were averaging about 1.3” with the loose barrel and look a little tighter now, not that it matters much.

View attachment 576121View attachment 576122
Update on the PVA barrel:

Somewhere around 400 rounds down the tube and it’s starting to blow up the 88’s pretty regularly. Had 3 “pop” in the last 30 rounds. Pretty wild I can see them explode mid flight through the scope. Granted I’ve been shooting in 90-100 degree heat and have not cleaned in over 100 rounds..and haven’t been letting it cool off much between strings.

Not super impressed overall; this is a 26” tube and 3100 is MAX before I start getting bolt lift, tried multiple powders. Bore scope was super rough looking before I started shooting it. It is however a very accurate barrel and has turned me on to the 22 creedmoor.

Will try to clean it aggressively and see if it will hold together so I can use it on a couple hunts.

Thankfully I have a couple of rechambered .22 cal tikka barrels to spin on soon.

BjornF16

WKR
Update on the PVA barrel:

Somewhere around 400 rounds down the tube and it’s starting to blow up the 88’s pretty regularly. Had 3 “pop” in the last 30 rounds. Pretty wild I can see them explode mid flight through the scope. Granted I’ve been shooting in 90-100 degree heat and have not cleaned in over 100 rounds..and haven’t been letting it cool off much between strings.

Not super impressed overall; this is a 26” tube and 3100 is MAX before I start getting bolt lift, tried multiple powders. Bore scope was super rough looking before I started shooting it. It is however a very accurate barrel and has turned me on to the 22 creedmoor.

Will try to clean it aggressively and see if it will hold together so I can use it on a couple hunts.

Thankfully I have a couple of rechambered .22 cal tikka barrels to spin on soon.
Just curious, but what is the rifling type on your PVA barrel?

I'm running 40g H4350 with 88 ELD-M out of a 3 groove PBB 22CM without any bullet blow ups (but I'm also running 3015 fps from 22" barrel)

Just curious, but what is the rifling type on your PVA barrel?

I'm running 40g H4350 with 88 ELD-M out of a 3 groove PBB 22CM without any bullet blow ups (but I'm also running 3015 fps from 22" barrel)
Supposedly it’s a .219, 5r rock creek blank. It had a lot of tooling marks, looked terrible in bore scope, and I wonder how much that affected things

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Supposedly it’s a .219, 5r rock creek blank. It had a lot of tooling marks, looked terrible in bore scope, and I wonder how much that affected things

My guess is a lot. I have seen numerous 22CM’s with zero maintenance with much higher round counts with those bullets and no issues at all.

My guess is a lot. I have seen numerous 22CM’s with zero maintenance with much higher round counts with those bullets and no issues at all.
Yeah something was off from the start. 26” barrel with numerous powders and both alpha and Peterson and could only get to 3100fps and will still get occasional heavy bolt lift there.

Even at “only” 3100fps I’m really liking the 22 creedmoor. I have a 22” rechambered t3 x barrel and a 24” .223 super varmint rechambered to spin on, hoping for better results.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
The recent Hornady podcast also mentioned barrel length having an effect on the bullet in regards to poofing them. Maybe a combination of factors.

Did cleaning do anything

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah something was off from the start. 26” barrel with numerous powders and both alpha and Peterson and could only get to 3100fps and will still get occasional heavy bolt lift there.

Also the 1-7” isn’t helping them. 1-7.5” is about optimum for most.

Even at “only” 3100fps I’m really liking the 22 creedmoor. I have a 22” rechambered t3 x barrel and a 24” .223 super varmint rechambered to spin on, hoping for better results.

I like what I see as far as ease with Sako/Tikka factory barrels. No weirdness, just shoot.

The recent Hornady podcast also mentioned barrel length having an effect on the bullet in regards to poofing them. Maybe a combination of factors.

Did cleaning do anything
Heading off for an archery hunt, will clean and see how it does after. Will probably scrub with some JB bore paste for good measure. I’d like to use this barrel for at least one hunt..

Has anyone tried Ramshot Magnum in this cartridge? I like the looks of this powder for 22 Creedmoor and consistent metering.

I’m approaching this project in typical reloader fashion…. Got two Tikka 223 barrels coming this week, a couple thousand 88gr ELD-M bullets arriving tomorrow. I have a feeling a Tikka action or T3 in 22-250 will be the last acquisition 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
First blood with the 22 Creedmoor this weekend. Doe antelope at 430 yards off the tripod.

Zermatt TL3
Bartlein 1:7.5 medium palma at 22”
TT Diamond
Manners PRS2 w/mini chassis
NF NX8 2.5-20x MOAR
Gunwerks 8ight can

Shot with an 88 gr ELDM going 3031 FPS. I definitely have room to go with this load, but didn’t have time keep messing with it. 40.7 gr RL-23, alpha brass, CCI 450, 88 ELDM .020” off lands.

176F47F3-9B76-4E16-8D32-009847F3E493.jpeg34C69475-CCE1-46F2-B70E-24EA6A856F0B.jpeg
D3622C60-ABD5-4AC5-BE9F-1AF71AACFD82.jpeg

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
Should also mention, Texas Ammunition loads the 80 gr ELDM in Peterson brass. I bought 100 rounds when it was on sale during Black Friday and used a box for the first 20 rounds down my barrel. Avg of 3184 FPS from my 22” barrel.

A1A51F20-7DE1-407A-AAE7-936B04E52940.jpeg

My Bartlein seemed to like it, especially once the barrel fouled up a bit. Here’s the progress of four 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

E8688CA8-14DE-437E-81C1-F609CE5E2838.jpegC95865F6-77F2-4EF7-BAB5-BB2F985CCCE1.jpegB239836C-A63A-449A-9AF2-1A21994AE35D.jpeg16566962-575D-4690-90F5-90AE2B615D5E.jpeg

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Tikka T3X Lite in 22-250 with 1-8 twist that I am going to have reamed. I ordered Alpha SRP brass cause I don't wanna use up stuff for my PRC. I have 4831sc,4350,Superformance,H1000,6.5 Staball,Staball HD,Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum. I have RL26 but don't wanna use it up till I find some more. Looking to shoot 75 ELDM or 80 ELDM or Berger. Any advice on what might be the optimum combination? Thanks