Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzH

WKR
There are others, too, but that one case has stimulated other churches to arm themselves. I know of one personally. At Easter this year, I noticed guys with wired mics, and baggy clothes posted throughout the church. And at regular service, I see these guys wandering around.

That’s how guarding schools would likely work…things would begin to change.
Buffalo...guards don't work now.

RyanT26

WKR
Arming teachers could work, here is my opinion how.
1. Require them to yearly certify on the same qualification course as their LE in their state. In Kansas it would be the CPost. It’s not overly hard but there still officers that struggle with it.

2. Require them to attend solo response active shooter training such as the DHS 3 day class, Raider program, etc. IMO DHS’s class is better. This needs to be done every other year.

3. Some type of weapon Retention training. So they don’t get disarmed and killed with their own gun. This would be yearly.

If they would do those things they would be better trained then most law-enforcement.

Now you just need to get your school district, teachers unions, bargaining units, School districts insurance companies and communities to sign off on it.
And also figure out how you’re going to be paying the teachers for all the extra training time, as well as the classes.

Easy Peezy

Last edited:

RyanT26

WKR
There are others, too, but that one case has stimulated other churches to arm themselves. I know of one personally. At Easter this year, I noticed guys with wired mics, and baggy clothes posted throughout the church. And at regular service, I see these guys wandering around.

That’s how guarding schools would likely work…things would begin to change.
Great who pays for it.

BuzzH

WKR
What a bunch of defeatist crap. By your logic we should quit trying any solution because there is a chance it wont work.

For someone who sings the libertarian tune so much Buzz you sure seem to have strong "ideas" about how other people should be allowed to protect themselves and their family.

The correct answer is not simple. There is no "one solution" that we as humans are going to generate. What we have to decide is are we going to trade a measure of freedom for a "guarantee". I think we (as a country) are, indeed. I personally dont think it is the right answer.

There is only one solution to the problems in this world, and Jesus has already told us how this ends. So pray. Pray for our children. Pray for our country. Pray for the victims. And, yes, pray for the people who commit these disgusting crimes. I believe that only God can speak to a heart so troubled.
Arm yourself how you want, install whatever alarm system you want, I don't care and think you should!

But, that's not going to change mass murder...just a fact.

I told you.

Offer thoughts and prayers, build caskets, and bury the dead.

That's all we've ever done and all we'll ever do...what changes after Sandy Hook and Columbine helped prevent this one?

Nothing special about this one, just another to add to the list, just like the next one will be.

I'm not arguing with you that firearm restrictions are the answer. That's not a practical solution any more than arming teachers.

I never thought you were arguing. Nor was I towards you. Merely collaborating. And you are right, not one thing changed post sandy book las helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
My heart goes out to the victims families, and all involved. My wife has a friend that lives in Uvalde. Their kids go to a private school, so they weren't there, but it still makes a person think pretty soberly.

We have lots of frustrated and unfulfilled young men in this country. There are no easy solutions.

And your point is?
My point is someone asked where can you get a gun that easy. . . There's a place. It's literally a few clicks on their system and you can walk out with a gun. Not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying it's really easy so let's not paint it like it's difficult.

BuzzH

WKR
Here's another one. Just cherry picking though.
If you're into lists and all...don't cherry pick

BjornF16

WKR
LEO's cant stop him, but an armed teacher would...according to some her
The teachers will just be the first ones to die.

Training only goes far when you're getting shot at.
Well...it seems to me that the teachers already are the first ones to die.

As far as training, how well trained do you think the perp was? Wouldn't the perp have the same issues when finally shot at?

Finally, regarding the "LEO's can't stop him..."...do we even know what the circumstances were when LEO's allegedly engaged the perp outside the school? Was it 10 yards (classroom size)? ...or 50 yards (enough distance a handgun would likely be ineffective)?...or 100 yards?

Unarmed teacher - 0% chance
Armed teacher - 10% chance?...

Personally, I'd go with 10% over 0% any day of the week.

Just my humble $0.02

Xerute

FNG
This school DID have armed guards, so did the store in Buffalo.

How did that work out?

Look, get it through your head...these people that do these things, they don't care that they're going to die. Its highly doubtful an armed guard or faculty is even a consideration for someone hell bent on mass murder...they most obviously are not into making rational decisions.

Good grief...the lack of critical thinking on these threads is staggering.
So there is a guard who first interacts with this mass shooter holding an AR15 but isn't shot and doesn't shoot the murderer? Does that seem wrong on many levels? How is a patrol unit from outside the one who came in and killed this psychopath, where were the guards at?
And yes, you are not going to be able to stop 100% of murders period, doesn't matter how many precautions one takes but I know 92%+ of mass shootings happen in a gun free zone. I know for a fact that I feel much safer if I can carry and know other good people around me are also allowed to carry because criminals don't care about carry laws or any law for that fact. This is because I know if a mass shooting, especially targeting children, happened that many law abiding citizens would charge in to immediately neutralize the threat.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
I have worked in the capacity of a school resource officer for a few semesters during my time as a police officer. I think that security in the normal sense can help but is not a solution. As @cnelk said before, the students and staff bypass most any structural security on day one. Hiring security is not a solution because those qualified will not work for what the position pays. Placing a SRO at every school takes a huge investment, and may be the best thing to HELP, but is far from the absolute that people associate a solution being. Likewise with arming teachers except for the investment part from a financial perspective.

I think what @robby denning eluded to above with his reference to religion/church that is missing is a sense of community and social relationships. While school shootings and "mass" shootings have been taking place since the mid 50's, the frequency has increased. I believe that with technology making the world smaller, it has had the effect of distancing the individual from local ties, relationships, involvement, and interactions. The result is that people don't care about each other and have no bond with their fellow person, only with their technology tied interfaces. Those who are growing up, or grew up with the idea that "social" meant interacting through technology on a worldwide scale developed with the concept that reality is tied to those rather than out their front door. I think that this makes it a very simple thing to view the life of those they can physically interact with as not having value, as not having any connection to them, and as "them".

Because of this, I think the long term solution is encouraging personal relationships, commitments, and activities IN PERSON with our youth and young adults. "Young adults" being under the age of 30. The reason for this is I believe that all of the synapses that occur with the sensory immersion of in person interaction are beyond strong enough to overcome any urge to harm. We have seen examples of this for decades where those who become school shooters have told others not to be present, or "spared" those who they liked, etc. It is the same reason why gangs will do terrible things to their competition, but treat their own with amazing love and loyalty; the connection.

So, I think the long-term solution is a return to community and interpersonal connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.