Tent with a Stove

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting into a tent with a stove. Normally I have been in a shack and only use tents for warmish weather camping. I would like to get into another Shack one of these days, but it's not in the cards for this year. So, I'm wondering what I should be looking for. I'd rather not spend a ton of money, and I dont need a huge wall tent. It'll most likely be me and my 16yoa daughter, possibly one other dude or a kid. I'm up in MN and it gets cold Sept-November. I'd be driving a Suburban pulling a 12' trailer with a couple wheelers on it, so room should not really be a major concern. However, if it could all pack onto the utility rack of one of the wheelers, that would be a bonus. Any ideas you could float my way for tents and stoves, or just general advice would be appreciated. BTW...I sent that kid $10....still waiting for my WKR status, lol.

Thanks,
Steve

Got a got a SO Cimarron and it's the perfect size for 4 without a stove and 2 maybe 3 with a stove but you wouldn't be able to have gear in the tent. For stove you can choose whatever size you want. Also another tent to look into is a Argali 4 person tent. Just like the SO just another made in the USA option that is sure to be damn good quality just like everything else argali

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kni-Co Alaskan that I use in my homemade teepee. I love the thing, I haul it in using either a pulk if I have snow or a deer cart if I don't. I can have it burn for most of the night if loaded and set properly. But with any stove if you are going to burn it while you sleep. Make sure you use a carbon monoxide detector.

drra

FNG
I have a reliable teton tent (has a sewn in floor ) and an Alaskan wood stove. The tent is relatively light and comfortably sleeps three in cots with room for a stove. I replaced the spark arrestor that was at the end of the chimney with one that goes directly on top of the stove with a removable screen spark arrestor (easier to clean if you're burning wood that isn't dry).

*zap*

WKR
Look at the specs....area over 6' is important as is area over 3'. Forget about being comfortable in a Cimarron with 3 people, a stove and gear.

drra

FNG
On the Reliable tent site you'll see they have 10x10 as well as 12 x 12 teton (spike) tents, but its also worth checking out the hot deals on their site as you can find some pretty amazing deals occassionally.

Dooms

FNG
I used a Kifaru 8 Man and a Seek Outside stove. It was a palace for one, I'd say tight room for 4 adults to sleep, easy living for 3. We had some 30 odd mph winds, and were down in the teens for most of the trip. The folks taking me out on my first hunt were in campers and wall tents, and I slept as well as they did.

The vehicle in the background is an Excursion for scale. If I was judicious with space and didn't just spread out everything, including a camp chair, two people would be extravagant, three comfortable.

You can also seen how the wood stove burns down the frost line. T-shirt and shorts with the stove going, after a cold day, is luxury in my opinion.

- Dooms

P.S. Yes, that is a construction orange vest on my pack. First season, king of the rookies, I was all over it.

Attachments

• 20211117_070503.jpg
    20211117_070503.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211117_075144.jpg
    20211117_075144.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 28