Tenmile 3x18 FFP vs NF 2.5-10 SFP

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Respectfully, some of your assumptions about what you need in a hunting scope may not improve your performance.

1) I generally find high magnification to be more of a hindrance than a help for hunting. I’ve used 3-15s in the past and have not felt the need to turn them above 10 in the field (generally not above 6x). Higher magnification means more time getting on target, less ability to spot your own shots, and more time for follow-up shots. None of that is good for hunting.

2) If you ever have to hold for wind, a SFP variable scope is not the way to go. FFP and mils, if you are going to use a variable scope. See the discussions on here about quick drop and wind brackets or listen to the recent Shoot2Hunt podcast on mils vs MOA.

What I’m saying may seem antithetical to your experience, but I’ve been down that road thinking I needed to upgrade and found that it really didn’t help me. My favorite western hunting scope is still the $300 fixed 6x SWFA with a mil reticle. It’s simple, durable, fast and accurate. And unfortunately it’s really hard to get right now.
1. I only see myself going past 12x zoom for shooting on paper. Totally agree with everything you said

2. Totally agree on Mils, I'm making the switch from MOA to Mils with this scope. I'm not sure how grounded in reality it is, but I imagine that if I need to hold for wind I'll be at 10x anyway. (for NXS)

I have the Mils FFP Tenmile on the way, will see how it is in person. A SWFA 3-9 milquad would be awesome to try out if it's ever in stock. Just found this https://swfa.com/swfa-3-15x42-ss-mil-quad-reticle-30mm-1-mil-clicks-side-focus-first-focal-plane/. Seems to be similar specs to the Trijicon but much better reticle

Bado20

FNG
Respectfully, some of your assumptions about what you need in a hunting scope may not improve your performance.

1) I generally find high magnification to be more of a hindrance than a help for hunting. I’ve used 3-15s in the past and have not felt the need to turn them above 10 in the field (generally not above 6x). Higher magnification means more time getting on target, less ability to spot your own shots, and more time for follow-up shots. None of that is good for hunting.

2) If you ever have to hold for wind, a SFP variable scope is not the way to go. FFP and mils, if you are going to use a variable scope. See the discussions on here about quick drop and wind brackets or listen to the recent Shoot2Hunt podcast on mils vs MOA.

What I’m saying may seem antithetical to your experience, but I’ve been down that road thinking I needed to upgrade and found that it really didn’t help me. My favorite western hunting scope is still the $300 fixed 6x SWFA with a mil reticle. It’s simple, durable, fast and accurate. And unfortunately it’s really hard to get right now.
I agree with most of what you have said about hunting scopes. In general, less is more when it comes to magnification and MILS beat MOA IMO. My one caveat is that with the NXS 2.5-10 if you're shooting far enough to hold wind you're going to be far enough that shooting at 10x is not a disadvantage. I find the scope's magnification adjustment is useful as a point and shoot system inside of 300 yards and past that it essentially becomes a fixed 10x optic.

ElPollo

WKR
1. I only see myself going past 12x zoom for shooting on paper. Totally agree with everything you said

2. Totally agree on Mils, I'm making the switch from MOA to Mils with this scope. I'm not sure how grounded in reality it is, but I imagine that if I need to hold for wind I'll be at 10x anyway. (for NXS)

I have the Mils FFP Tenmile on the way, will see how it is in person. A SWFA 3-9 milquad would be awesome to try out if it's ever in stock. Just found this https://swfa.com/swfa-3-15x42-ss-mil-quad-reticle-30mm-1-mil-clicks-side-focus-first-focal-plane/. Seems to be similar specs to the Trijicon but much better reticle
The Tenmile is a solid scope, but I am not a fan of the reticle. A buddy of mine has one that is regularly bouncing around in a truck in the Persian Basin and he’s never had it lose zero. I have a 3-15 SWFA that used to ride on my Tikka 300 WSM that I sold over the winter. It’s currently sitting unmounted in my safe in favor of the 3-9x and 6x. The 3-15 has short eye relief beyond 12x and the reticle is marginally less good than the others because the hashmarks are hollow diamonds. But it’s a solid scope.

On the subject of shooting paper with high magnification, I get what you’re saying and have thought the same thing. However, I have not seen improvement in groups when shooting strings of 10-20 rounds with high magnification verses something in the 6x range. And I’ve never seen a deer with a dot on its side in the vitals. I’m sure higher magnification can certainly help untimed, long range bench shooting. But for everything else, it has too many downsides for me.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Trijicon turrets - really have to agree they are a bit muted, oddly enough the windage on my credo is fantastic while the elevation is not as great. It seems to be getting a bit better every time I use it, but probably just me getting used to it.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
The Tenmile is a solid scope, but I am not a fan of the reticle. A buddy of mine has one that is regularly bouncing around in a truck in the Persian Basin and he’s never had it lose zero. I have a 3-15 SWFA that used to ride on my Tikka 300 WSM that I sold over the winter. It’s currently sitting unmounted in my safe in favor of the 3-9x and 6x. The 3-15 has short eye relief beyond 12x and the reticle is marginally less good than the others because the hashmarks are hollow diamonds. But it’s a solid scope.

On the subject of shooting paper with high magnification, I get what you’re saying and have thought the same thing. However, I have not seen improvement in groups when shooting strings of 10-20 rounds with high magnification verses something in the 6x range. And I’ve never seen a deer with a dot on its side in the vitals. I’m sure higher magnification can certainly help untimed, long range bench shooting. But for everything else, it has too many downsides for me.
Yeah the reticle on low power for < 100 yard shots seems less than optimal. 3x9 SWFA and NXS 2.5-10 seem to be the front runners for optics for hunting short - medium ranges. Going to cancel the Trijicon order in favor of the NXS. Then when it is in stock, 3x9 swfa to try out. Wish there were more options for durable dialing optics in the 2.5 -10 / 3-12 range

Marshfly

WKR
I used to think this also. This year I tried a group of 10 shots with my Tenmile at 6x at 100 yards. Well darn if that group wasn't just as tight but easier to shoot than at 12x plus.

I thought, we have zero issues hitting 8" gongs at 600 with the SWFA 6x on my 223 so why is this any different? It wasn't.

ElPollo

WKR
Yeah the reticle on low power for < 100 yard shots seems less than optimal. 3x9 SWFA and NXS 2.5-10 seem to be the front runners for optics for hunting short - medium ranges. Going to cancel the Trijicon order in favor of the NXS. Then when it is in stock, 3x9 swfa to try out. Wish there were more options for durable dialing optics in the 2.5 -10 / 3-12 range
I don’t generally take many “jump shots” at low magnification. My issue with the tree reticles is that they are busy and make my brain work, but can fade out in a busy background. I also don’t hold for both elevation and wind at the same time, but instead dial elevation and hold wind. For me, the tree reticles are a solution to a problem I don’t have. But my buddy loves his Tenmile. It will be a good scope for you. If you find you don’t like the reticle, I’m sure you can sell it and use the proceeds to fund something else. The other alternative that I don’t believe was discussed here is the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x. I have not used one personally, but they passed multiple drop tests and have a really nice reticle. I have not sunk the coin into one because I don’t generally shoot far enough to warrant it. I generally like Maven’s stuff though.

Wrench

WKR

I hated the reticle in that scope. The diamonds are open and easily lost in brush. Optically it was not as good to me as the 3x9 hd

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah the reticle on low power for < 100 yard shots seems less than optimal. 3x9 SWFA and NXS 2.5-10 seem to be the front runners for optics for hunting short - medium ranges. Going to cancel the Trijicon order in favor of the NXS.

The NXS reticle isn’t any more visible than the 3-18x Tenmile’s.

Then when it is in stock, 3x9 swfa to try out. Wish there were more options for durable dialing optics in the 2.5 -10 / 3-12 range

Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil. That and the SWFA 3-15x42mm scopes are the two best available options currently.

manitou1

WKR
I have no experience with the NF you speak of but I like my Ten Mile 3-18HX so much I bought a second one.

ElPollo

WKR
At those distances I dont think FFP adds much value. Have you looked at the credo 2.5-15?
I don’t know where the OP hunts, but where I do it’s a windy-ass place. I shot a pronghorn once at 355 yards with a full 2 feet of wind drift at the critter. If you need to make fast wind calls and hold for it, a SFP variable is not the way to be successful. The SFP reticles are only valid at the top magnification. That means you have to adjust your scope to use the reticle and find the target at high magnification before you can aim and fire. FFP or a fixed 6 will beat that every time.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
I hated the reticle in that scope. The diamonds are open and easily lost in brush. Optically it was not as good to me as the 3x9 hd
I think the differences in the SWFA reticles are relatively minor compared to the tree reticles, but agree that I like the reticle in the 6x and 3-9x better than the 3-15x. I still like the 3-15 reticle better than the Nightforce options.

On the glass quality, it’s never been an issue for me in a riflescope. Binos or a spotter, sure, but not for a scope. The issue for me with the 3-15 is eye relief on the top end. Keep it below 12 and it’s pretty useable.

Nobody tried the trijicon 2.5x 10 -36 ffp for 922?

Seems like might be a decent option if you can't get a. 3x9 swfa and didn't want to spend $1000 plus on a sfp scope. I got my 3-18 for 900 from opticsplanet at the beginning of the year but that ship might have sailed although although I'd keep checking dvor.

I don’t know where the OP hunts, but where I do it’s a windy-ass place. I shot a pronghorn once at 355 yards with a full 2 feet of wind drift at the critter. If you need to make fast wind calls and hold for it, a SFP variable is not the way to be successful. The SFP reticles are only valid at the top magnification. That means you have to adjust your scope to use the reticle and find the target at high magnification before you can aim and fire. FFP or a fixed 6 will beat that every time.
I hunt idaho, utah, montana and wyoming. You need a higher BC bullet if you are getting 24” of wind drift at 350 yards. I have killed a lot of critters over 700 yards with SFP scopes.

ElPollo

WKR
I hunt idaho, utah, montana and wyoming. You need a higher BC bullet if you are getting 24” of wind drift at 350 yards. I have killed a lot of critters over 700 yards with SFP scopes.
It was in 2008 with a turd of a mono 270 win bullet and a standard duplex 3-9 scope with Kentucky windage. Full value 35 mph sustained with gusts probably to mid 50ish and snow/sleet. I was dumb for taking that shot, but the speed goat was dumber. I didn’t know Jack about wind calls and there was no such thing as a ballistics app to estimate your wind drift at that time. He stood there looking straight at me as I whistled 3 past him into the mud, but I connected on the 4th. Not my proudest moment, but it was a lesson.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
The NXS reticle isn’t any more visible than the 3-18x Tenmile’s.

Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil. That and the SWFA 3-15x42mm scopes are the two best available options currently.
I've just taken a look at the Maven today, everything looks great but 26oz is a tad heavy. My rifle is 5.5 lbs bare, so might just be super top heavy. Hard to say though without actually handling it.

And is the NXS 2FP not any more usable? The MIL-R reticle looks thin, but with being 2FP i figured that it would be no problem

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Nobody tried the trijicon 2.5x 10 -36 ffp for 922?

Seems like might be a decent option if you can't get a. 3x9 swfa and didn't want to spend $1000 plus on a sfp scope. I got my 3-18 for 900 from opticsplanet at the beginning of the year but that ship might have sailed although although I'd keep checking dvor.
Would also like to hear on this. Everything looks great, but 36mm objective would seem to not be enough light for dusk and dawn shots

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
I'm hunting out in the washington cascades. It can get windy up there, but hasn't been anything crazy in my experience