Tenmile 3x18 FFP vs NF 2.5-10 SFP

ElPollo

WKR
Would also like to hear on this. Everything looks great, but 36mm objective would seem to not be enough light for dusk and dawn shots
I think this scope saves you around $150 for 3 oz, a less than optimal reticle, and a smaller objective. If it were me, I would buy the Maven or look for a used SWFA.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If you need to make fast wind calls and hold for it, a SFP variable is not the way to be successful. The SFP reticles are only valid at the top magnification. That means you have to adjust your scope to use the reticle and find the target at high magnification before you can aim and fire. FFP or a fixed 6 will beat that every time.
Not necessarily, that's one thing I like about the Trijicon is in the bottom of the view it has the correction at different magnifications, so 1@16X, 1.5@12X, 2@8X, and 4@4X. While not as ideal as FFP, it's not hard to just leave it on 8 and know that the subtentions are double. I've been trying to convince myself to make the switch to MILs and FFP because I know it's cleaner, but I'm just not in love with what's available. Will probably try to snag a Maven RS1.2 if they go in stock, but the only other option I like is NF 4.5-14SHV. If Trijicon made a Credo with the center dot reticle in 2.5-15 or 4-16 in FFP I think they'd sell a ton.

ElPollo

WKR
Not necessarily, that's one thing I like about the Trijicon is in the bottom of the view it has the correction at different magnifications, so 1@16X, 1.5@12X, 2@8X, and 4@4X. While not as ideal as FFP, it's not hard to just leave it on 8 and know that the subtentions are double. I've been trying to convince myself to make the switch to MILs and FFP because I know it's cleaner, but I'm just not in love with what's available. Will probably try to snag a Maven RS1.2 if they go in stock, but the only other option I like is NF 4.5-14SHV. If Trijicon made a Credo with the center dot reticle in 2.5-15 or 4-16 in FFP I think they'd sell a ton.
SFP = extra math = slower and or mistakes resulting in missed shots = no thank you.

Agree that Trijicon should make more FFP/mil scopes. Also think they could seriously improve their reticles.

Marshfly

WKR
A mediocre reticle in FFP and Mils beats a good reticle in SFP/MOA all day every day in real world use. If you take a range day to figure it out... Which you should be doing (at the very least) with new equipment anyway.

Evergreen

WKR
I would bump up to the NF NX8 2.5-20 then it covers both. Yes a little more in price but you could go SFP or FFP mils or moa

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Tenmile but really disliked the reticle at lower powers (4-8x) where I spend most time shooting at hunting distances to about 600y and closer. The reticle was tiny at 3-4x with the bold stadia lines floating in the middle distracting and not really fast for my eyes. You had to kind of search for it in the glass when you brought the scope up fast.

I really think Trijicon optimized the Tenmile for upper mag ranges and not closer hunting ranges. I sent it back and hope they improve the reticle to work better across all mag ranges vs. just higher power on a future update. I liked the scope otherwise, but the reticle just killed it for me.

I shoot almost all NF scopes. My main rifle has an NXS 2.5-10 but an older mildot reticle. I find it easier to see/use vs. the new Mil-R which I really dislike on busy backgrounds and dim light. While I like the durability of NF scopes, I think their reticles are all just average or below average.

At your hunting distances I think the 2.5-10 is a good choice. Lighter weight, more compact, turrets were better (wish it had a capped windage though). If you are spending more time shooting at mag ranges above 10X, then of course the Tenmile may be your ticket but at woods hunting distances it's unlikely you'd use the top end except for paper punching.

Last edited:
OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
I bought a Tenmile but really disliked the reticle at lower powers (4-8x) where I spend most time shooting at hunting distances to about 600y and closer. The reticle was tiny at 3-4x with the bold stadia lines floating in the middle distracting and not really fast for my eyes. You had to kind of search for it in the glass when you brought the scope up fast.

I really think Trijicon optimized the Tenmile for upper mag ranges and not closer hunting ranges. I sent it back and hope they improve the reticle to work better across all mag ranges vs. just higher power on a future update. I liked the scope otherwise, but the reticle just killed it for me.

I shoot almost all NF scopes. My main rifle has an NXS 2.5-10 but an older mildot reticle. I find it easier to see/use vs. the new Mil-R which I really dislike on busy backgrounds and dim light. While I like the durability of NF scopes, I think their reticles are all just average or below average.

At your hunting distances I think the 2.5-10 is a good choice. Lighter weight, more compact, turrets were better (wish it had a capped windage though). If you are spending more time shooting at mag ranges above 10X, then of course the Tenmile may be your ticket but at woods hunting distances it's unlikely you'd use the top end except for paper punching.
Thanks for that feedback! Validates the decision away from the ten mile. I’ve officially picked up the https://mavenbuilt.com/products/rs1-2-2-5-15x44-ffp?variant=42954112729259 . It’s not the lightest, but it’s ffp and has a good reticle