Tell me why I shouldn't move to wyoming...

OP
S
Your thinking about moving to a region that is lacking in women. Every dude will try to bone your wife, twice. They don’t care if she is married and has kids. Those cowboys are relentless.
You never loose your wife, just your turn.
While I appreciate the marital advice, my wife leaving me or whoring around is not even on my list of concerns...but if it's on yours perhaps you should move or change your criteria for mate selection🤣... all joking aside, my Marriage falling apart isn't on the radar and making a move to WY or MT isn't going to be what causes that if we're to ever happen...we are moving, not starting an open relationship or joining a swinger's club...if that's your thing, hey, you do you....or whoever your gonna do for that matter.

Moving on....

As far as the kids leaving...once they are of age and through school it's their life to live. If they decide they want to try elsewhere that's just a new place we get to visit. I hope they love it wherever we land but I have no plans to try to steer them to stay if their dreams/passions are elsewhere.

OP
S
Do it. Life passes you by while you think about it. You can always move again if it doesn't work out. Don't wait, do it now.
If only it were that easy. If it was just me it might be, with a family it just takes longer to sort out and requires more planning. Thats why Im hear...good or bad, its all info to consider...We are working on it. Have a list of things that need to get done/finished to have house market ready, that will be a big motivator when I cross the last thing off that here before too long.

WKR
My GF was in Bozeman last week visiting a friend. Friends 2 bedroom condo on the 3rd floor was $300,000. :oops:
GF looked a lot in Bozeman $300,000 :oops:
How does the average hippie making coffee or working in a bookstore afford to live there?
My stepson lives in Bozeman. He’s not a hippie working in a coffee shop, he’s a heavy equipment operator moving dirt. He still has two housemates to afford his rent.

tony

WKR
Crazy, your boy is making good money and still has house mates to make rent.
I guess the low wage earners must have many people living together.

I know I couldn’t do it unless I wanted to be house poor.

Oldrifle

FNG
I enjoy people who relocate to Wyoming. With what you've said, I can't see why you shouldn't. It all boils down to a choice.

WKR
I’m already in Wyoming, and have been since 1990, so my answer will be, “Tell me why I should leave Wyoming.”

Only two reasons: 1) I can’t make a living in Wyoming; 2) Family concerns.

I won’t leave over wind, weather, winter, medical facilities, educational institutions, sketchy internet, driving distances, or cell phone service.

I’m almost 58, and looking ahead to retire somewhere between Dubois and Riverton - closer to Dubois if possible, closer to Riverton if necessary. Every time we pass the Warm Winds Assisted Living in Dubois, I joke, “That’s where you’re going to put me someday, right?” She figures she’ll get a call from the nursing staff there someday saying I’ve wondered off down the river. Hey, gotta stay active.

I’m already in Wyoming, and have been since 1990, so my answer will be, “Tell me why I should leave Wyoming.”

I won’t leave over wind, weather, winter, medical facilities, educational institutions, sketchy internet, driving distances, or cell phone service.

I’m almost 58, and looking ahead to retire somewhere between Dubois and Riverton - closer to Dubois if possible, closer to Riverton if necessary. Every time we pass the Warm Winds Assisted Living in Dubois, I joke, “That’s where you’re going to put me someday, right?” She figures she’ll get a call from the nursing staff there someday saying I’ve wondered off down the river. Hey, gotta stay active.

I find myself checking on real estate for sale in this exact location at least once a week. Moving out there is out of the question for me but I can sure visit for a month or two at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
@StuckInTheEast crap, or get off the pot.
I had an interview on 7-23-12, accepted the job on 7-30-12. Sold 4 houses, and had a small estate sale, bought a house in Wyoming and moved my family of 4 just over 1,000 miles and had it all done to start work on 9-4-12.
Little constipated is all...Im working it out🤣...
that's an impressive time line though.
Where abouts did you land if you don't mind my asking?

This guy nailed it.

You’re either serious or not, and proper due diligence for major life choices isn’t conducted on an internet forum.

OP
S
This guy nailed it.

You’re either serious or not, and proper due diligence for major life choices isn’t conducted on an internet forum.
The assumption this is the only place I'm gathering information seems pretty nieve on your part, but so did the assertions my wife and kids will leave me when we move.
Obviously your type of input is not the constructive type I'm after, but I knew there'd be a few of you on here, there always is, it's a forum after all.
This is simply one of many places to gather input and information that someone may not have considered or taken into account. Obviously you've failed to grasp that, but your welcome to your opinion like anyone else.
Anyways,
The vast majority of the comments have been constructive or at least polite so that is appreciated. Thank you and keep them coming if you have anything else.

Your thinking about moving to a region that is lacking in women. Every dude will try to bone your wife, twice. They don’t care if she is married and has kids. Those cowboys are relentless.
You never loose your wife, just your turn.

Just get some livestock to keep around the place to keep the "cowboys" distracted from your wife...see a solution to every problem if you dig hard enough

I've lived in 6 states, including Illinois and New Hampshire, which have real winters. When I moved to Sheridan in 2020, I was surprised by how much homes, property, and contractors cost. Luckily, we snagged a small home. Today, with two young kids and the wife staying home to watch 'em, I'm not sure we could afford one. It's no Bozeman or Jackson, but it's not cheap to live in this part of Wyoming.

Weather wise, the first few winters weren't bad, but 2022/2023 made me feel like I was stuck in Fairbanks. It lasted half the year. I don't want another winter like that. Springs are often wet, summers can get hot, but fall is glorious. That's how I can justify living here.

Wind isn't bad in town, but nearby it can blow. If you can handle the wind, there's affordable places to live in southern Wyoming where you can likely buy 100 acres plus a home for the cost of a fixer-upper here.

The assumption this is the only place I'm gathering information seems pretty nieve on your part, but so did the assertions my wife and kids will leave me when we move.
Obviously your type of input is not the constructive type I'm after, but I knew there'd be a few of you on here, there always is, it's a forum after all.
This is simply one of many places to gather input and information that someone may not have considered or taken into account. Obviously you've failed to grasp that, but your welcome to your opinion like anyone else.
Anyways,
The vast majority of the comments have been constructive or at least polite so that is appreciated. Thank you and keep them coming if you have anything else.
I never implied your family would leave you. Someone else did that. What I articulated was that they would defect on the lifestyle and culture.

Don’t try to associate my statements with that of others.

You wanted to know “why not?” and the associated risks, and it seems to me that you don’t like the reality that it’s not what it’s marketed to be.

Like I said, good luck.

I hope you make the move quick so I gain more market driven asset appreciation and equity.

Archer86

WKR
@StuckInTheEast crap, or get off the pot.
I had an interview on 7-23-12, accepted the job on 7-30-12. Sold 4 houses, and had a small estate sale, bought a house in Wyoming and moved my family of 4 just over 1,000 miles and had it all done to start work on 9-4-12.
I did something similar interviews first week of July and moved the first week of August. Moved the family end of August after the house sold.

When you put a time frame on it it will just keep getting pushed out just gotta jump

wytx

WKR
Here in Laramie we see lots of college kids graduate and move away only to come back, they like the town and lifestyle after being elsewhere for a bit it seems.
Plenty of pretty young college gals around too, not sure what the heck some of these folks are talking about.
Good paying jobs are here but you'll have competition for them.
Some big businesses are coming to Cheyenne and it seems the University is always building something here.
Houses are not cheap but not big city prices.

Grand parents live north of Cheyenne. Fun to visit and hunt, couldn’t pay me to live there year round. Winters are terrible, snows like 8-9 months a year. I love the heat and humidity in the south compared to super long winters.

I've been looking closer at the wind issue...U of WY has some pretty in depth data on that and many other things for that matter...lots to read if you ever need to fall asleep quickly👍... Im going to try to attach screen shot of the wind map. Doesn't appear any of the locations we are currently considering fall into the insanely windy category...not to say it won't be windy at times and more so than we are currently acclimated to but we appear to be looking in areas that are a more mild wind wise...
Snow and cold I'll look more into as well, but we are anticipating both of those. I have alot if family in Minnesota and have spent enough time there in the winter to understand what real cold feels like. Have taken my wife for a few Christmas visits so she's had a taste of it too so we arent totally nieve as to what we are getting into there... hell we get a few days to a week or so of sub zero temps here about every other year it seems...our furnace went out on the last such occasion, that was fun. The snow doesn't bother me. I'm one of those weird people that would rather have snow if it's gonna be cold anyways.

Thank you for your input, that type of info from someone who has been/is currently there is exactly what I need.
No worries. I encourage you to spend a couple weeks traveling the state and exploring your options. Many folks do this via rental RV. Time well spent, in my opinion. Best of luck to you and yours.