Teaching kids to shoot.

For those looking at a cricket of you if you can spring for the cz 457 it is a much better choice. Can get mags and turn them into single shot, can find replacement stocks, run a can on it. And it has a decent trigger. Both my kids used that as their starter and at least 250 boy scouts have used it over the years of me running range days.
I started my son on the CZ452 Scout.
Came with a mag block and good iron sights.
I made sure he learned irons before he got any kind of optic.
I still shoot that little thing and it amazes me how accurate and good the trigger is.
Much better investment than a Cricket or Rascal.

I was taught first on open sights (bb —> .22) and appreciate how much it helps develop good marksmanship fundamentals. My daughter took an interest in hunting last year. We spent the summer with open sights on her 10/22 in standing and west position from 20-50 yards.

Just before small game opener, I setup a 3-9x32 mil-dot on her 10/22 and had her practice a few outings at 25-100 yard targets. On her first outing she bagged two grouse single shot each at about 30-40 yards with the .22. We are now moving onto .270 practice @ 100yds+

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I started my son on the CZ452 Scout.
Came with a mag block and good iron sights.
I made sure he learned irons before he got any kind of optic.
I still shoot that little thing and it amazes me how accurate and good the trigger is.
Much better investment than a Cricket or Rascal.
The CZ with synthetic stock is also 5.4 pounds with an overall length of 38.5 inchs vs 2.71 pounds and 28.6 inches for the Rascal. They are two very different guns. My 5 year old certainly is not going to be able to shoot a rifle as big as the CZ without a lot of help.

Rascal cost me $180 (MSRP $209), the CZ 457 is $490 (MSRP $519).

The Rascal comes with very good irons.

The CZ is certainly a much nicer rifle than the Rascal, but I don't see it filling the niche that the Rascal does. If the CZ fits a kid, the Rascal is probably too little for them.

That said, I will would take that CZ synthetic over the Christian Ranger 22 I have. It makes me want to sell the Christian.

Huntin_GI

WKR
If you are a Dad and your kid is graduating to a shotgun, I highly recommend the Mossberg SA-28 youth. The recoil is so minimal and so far its been easier to find 28 ga ammo than 20.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
If you are a Dad and your kid is graduating to a shotgun, I highly recommend the Mossberg SA-28 youth. The recoil is so minimal and so far its been easier to find 28 ga ammo than 20.
I have a single shot, and a side by side .410.

He's just still too small to effectively get behind them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Huntin_GI

WKR
I have a single shot, and a side by side .410.

He's just still too small to effectively get behind them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I went the single shot route on the 410 and bought one of the little Rossi Tuffy. Gun is trash. Kicks like a mule. The only thing that was good was LOP. When he is a smidge bigger, take a look at that 28 semi. Its ridiculous how smooth and easy to shoot that thing is.

SloppyJ

WKR
Look at a Savage Rascal. I looked at both, the Savage is a much nicer gun. I thing the pull to cock on the Cricket is obnoxious. The Rascal works just like a full sized gun.

For the record, the Rascal is the only Savage I own. In general, I don't care for Savages, which is why I looked at the Cricket first.
That was on my radar too. I actually like savage guns. I have a high end 280ai and I've rebarreled, re-stocked, and bedded my beater axis into a really nice gun. The rascal is the most appealing to me right now. I really want a threaded gun though so we both can shoot suppressed sooner than later.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That was on my radar too. I actually like savage guns. I have a high end 280ai and I've rebarreled, re-stocked, and bedded my beater axis into a really nice gun. The rascal is the most appealing to me right now. I really want a threaded gun though so we both can shoot suppressed sooner than later.

It is a touch heavier, but comes thread. I thought about having my Rascal threaded, but it would cost as much as the gun.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the side of teaching open sights before scope, that way they'll always be able to aim with anything.

SloppyJ

WKR

It is a touch heavier, but comes thread. I thought about having my Rascal threaded, but it would cost as much as the gun.

Yup that's the one I'll be getting. I think I'll pick up the CZ or a Tikka for myself. I'm still using an old JC Higgins that my grandpa gave me. Thing is a tack driver though.