Taking a pay cut ??

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
Guys I'm overwhelmed with all the good info you all have taken the time to share. Going to give it overnight and make our decision tomorrow. As it stands we are at over 90% for the new adventure. Again thank you for sharing.

WKR
I find if whatever you do, you go like hell, you end up just fine. We moved to Colorado from the midwest in 1996 and it was very good for us.

Quality of life & happiness are hard to put a price tag on.
I'd say pray about it (if you area praying family) and do it.
New opportunities can build excitement and bring you guys closer as a team and strengthen your marriage as well. Good luck.

At a certain point, and it really isn’t that much, more salary doesn’t add to happiness for many people. You end up working more or having a more stressful job and your overall quality of life can go down. I now make three times what I did when I started my career 9.5 years ago and can say that money has brought me little to no more joy in life.

My advice is to pick a job where the work, working conditions, and company culture make you happy. The money stuff will work itself out as long as you don’t have bad debts or child support type things.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t go, you’ll regret it and will always wonder what could’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
When I started my family about 15 years ago I went from making $36hr as a union equipment operator to $13.75 at a job where I would be home every night with my family. Growing up with two parents that worked on the road (and still do) I spent a lot of my childhood living with my grandparents and got into a lot of trouble. I didn't want to do that to my kids so I took the lifestyle change and it was the best decision I've ever made. I made a carrier for myself at that job and still work at the same place, I'm currently making significantly more than I was when I left the union job and have missed very little of my kids growing up and was even able to coach them through little league and my wife was a stay at home mom and is just now going back to school.

I've also been offered a lot of jobs over the years which would have required uprooting and moving. I currently own a couple of acres and have deer in my field every night and can watch elk out my living room window with my binos, it's 1 mile to USFS from the house where I can hunt if I want. Just last Thursday I was asked if I would be interested in a job that pays almost 40K more than my current salary, it would have required me to move from OR to OK, I didn't even have to think twice before telling them I wasn't interested.

Money has never been a driving factor in life choices for me, the happiness of my family has and if I were to lose my job tomorrow I would be able to get by and pay my bills working at the local gas pump.

Kilboars

WKR
Whatever decisions you make get something on the side going for yourself that could add to your income and hopefully replace it in the future. IMO

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find a way to allow your dreams a chance to happen.

Man! Change it tough. $10k loss can be manageable. Your smart and will make the right decision.

grfox92

WKR
Since I feel you fellow hunters and I think a lot alike I was hoping I could bounce a question off you guys. I have been offered a job out west where I really want to be to pursue more big game hunting. The job is a 4.96 an hour less than I currently make. My current job really doesn't have a path up where as the job offer will come with a lot of job building skills to advance my career that could easily lead to more money in the future. We have no debt other than the home mortgage with quite a bit of equity in it. My wife is on board with the only reservation being the pay cut. She is an RN so she has no worries about finding a job.

Question is there ever a situation where it would make since to take a pretty good pay cut with no guarantee to get back to current rate of pay?

Thanks for any all feedback guys
That all depends on the cost of living and cost of your mortgage. I will use myself as an example.

I sold my house in NY and moved to Wyoming. Plan was and still is to use to profit I made off selling my house to build a new home and have no mortgage. I have no car payments or any other debt.

If I was making 6 figures in NY but the cost of living was so high that I was living paycheck to paycheck, but then moved to Wyoming and don't have a mortgage, I could take a 60k a year pay cut and be taking home MORE money after my bills were paid. Did I take a huge pay cut? I guess. But I don't see how you could rationally look at it that way.

In my eyes the total on your Tax return doesn't gauge how successful you are. How much money you net after bills are paid does.

I laugh about people who make a couple hundred thousand a year and are looked at as so successful. Yet they have a million dollar house with a $10k a month mortgage and 2 $1k a month Mercedes payments, and 100k in credit card debt and are living off of they're HELOC because they are so crippled by debt. This is pretty much half of suburban NYC and I don't envy those people at all.

Move where you will be happy. I did and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
IMO it is foolish to just look at $/hour unless the costs and tax situation between where you are and where you could be are exactly the same. There in instance where you could double your wage through a move and end up worse off.

Wages are typically scaled to local market costs, so run a calculation to see what that pay cut actually means.

def90

WKR
Since I feel you fellow hunters and I think a lot alike I was hoping I could bounce a question off you guys. I have been offered a job out west where I really want to be to pursue more big game hunting. The job is a 4.96 an hour less than I currently make. My current job really doesn't have a path up where as the job offer will come with a lot of job building skills to advance my career that could easily lead to more money in the future. We have no debt other than the home mortgage with quite a bit of equity in it. My wife is on board with the only reservation being the pay cut. She is an RN so she has no worries about finding a job.

Question is there ever a situation where it would make since to take a pretty good pay cut with no guarantee to get back to current rate of pay?

Whta is the cost of living like where you may be moving? A lot of places out west can be pretty expensive when it comes to housing and other things.

I’ve lived all over the country... do a little research on quality of life, cost of living, and like they say - if there’s ever a doubt there’s never a doubt. Good luck and hit me up if I can help.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
You talking $50 to $45/hour or $20 to $15/hour?

casady

FNG
Depends on your situation, if its above what you are living and saving goals are -- then think it over and does it give you a better quality of life - enjoy it and good luck.

I took a decent paycut 3 years ago to move back to my home state of Colorado. I still don't make what I used to, but life is so much better. My wife in particular was depressed with where we used to live. Now she's the happiest she's been since I've known her. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken an even bigger paycut. You can't buy happiness!

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Will you be happier overall, while remaining financially capable of doing all the things you & your family REALLY want to do? I took an almost 40% cut to be an hour closer to home, get most of the summer off, spend my time at work doing the things I really love to do, and get out of the political bs & neverending paperwork that come with a tenure track faculty position in the sciences. I had spent 25+ years climbing the ladder & advancing my career while working with the best scientists in their field...and I decided I didn't want what they had if it meant sacrificing more time with my family.
It was the best move I ever made. I had my first summer off last year in 28 years, and it was more than worth the pay cut. A garden, camping, hiking, fishing, scouting, making memories with my family...absolutely worth it.