Taking a non-Hunter along - Yes or No

Super interested to hear any and all responses from both the ‘Yes’ and the ‘No’ side. Won’t hurt my feelings either way!

I don’t hunt, and don’t have plans to at the moment. However, I can appreciate someone wanting to source their own food and provide for their families by means of hunting - ethically, no issues for me.

I love being outdoors, am physically capable, don’t complain about weather, and deeply appreciate seeing and spending time with experienced and knowledgeable folks, particularly when it comes to nature and animals.

Would you find it a hassle for someone like me to come along and learn/support a hunt?

bsnedeker

WKR
Super interested to hear any and all responses from both the ‘Yes’ and the ‘No’ side. Won’t hurt my feelings either way!

I don’t hunt, and don’t have plans to at the moment. However, I can appreciate someone wanting to source their own food and provide for their families by means of hunting - ethically, no issues for me.

I love being outdoors, am physically capable, don’t complain about weather, and deeply appreciate seeing and spending time with experienced and knowledgeable folks, particularly when it comes to nature and animals.

Would you find it a hassle for someone like me to come along and learn/support a hunt?
Depends on the hunt, but for the most part...yes, it would be a hassle.

The only person i take hunting is my son.

I may consider taking someone along to learn if they showed me they were serious. I’d probably want them to first butcher ananimal with me, come on a recovery, and probably scout an area we might go. They do that and are still interested i might bring them along on a more relaxed hunt. Meaning not one of my best spots i’m trying to seriously tag a nice animal.

OP
M
It depends on how annoying you are.

I have taken several people (sometimes more than 1 at a time) that didn't hunt with me hunting. My level of enjoyment boils down to how annoying they are to me personally, which is pretty much the same way I judge people that hunt that go with me.
Makes sense. I like to think I’m fairly good at reading social cues, I’m not much of a conversationalist myself - as I mentioned I mainly would be interested as a way to enjoy nature and learn the work that goes into a successful hunt. Appreciate the reply!

I would take a newbie fishing or small game hunting first. Big game hunting no way, with the exception of a very close relative. Once the person demonstrates a genuine interest and willing attitude in the outdoor/hunting lifestyle I would suggest they take Hunter Ed first then go from there. I'm up for mentoring youngsters and adult-onset hunters but not at the expense of my tag and points.

hunterjmj

WKR
Would never take a stranger as a non hunter. I don't even hunt with the guys from our camp. Last year my buddy brought his brother as camp help. Not the greatest of help but wasn't a problem. Had an old guy come out years ago that wanted to experience wall tent hunting so he said he'd stay in camp and have dinner ready, etc. He did nothing but whine, complain and drink.

f16jack

WKR
I've taken non-hunting friends on "easy" hunts, like using a camper and then glassing and stalking animals. We enjoyed their company and they enjoyed the experience.
I have never taken any on difficult hunts, like wilderness backpack hunts. We need focused qualified outdoorsman that we can count on to do their part. We also need someone with wood smarts so as to reduce the chance if injury, and also the ability to assist if someone else gets injured.
When on the difficult hunts success is often related to drive and perserverance. The non hunter probably won't have the level of focus that the hunters do. This may make for some awkward days (cold, rainy, snowy) when the hunter may be far more willing to put up with adversity than the non-hunter.

OP
M
I've taken non-hunting friends on "easy" hunts, like using a camper and then glassing and stalking animals. We enjoyed their company and they enjoyed the experience.
I have never taken any on difficult hunts, like wilderness backpack hunts. We need focused qualified outdoorsman that we can count on to do their part. We also need someone with wood smarts so as to reduce the chance if injury, and also the ability to assist if someone else gets injured.
When on the difficult hunts success is often related to drive and perserverance. The non hunter probably won't have the level of focus that the hunters do. This may make for some awkward days (cold, rainy, snowy) when the hunter may be far more willing to put up with adversity than the non-hunter.
Thanks for the detailed reply, some really thoughtful info.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd consider it if I got to know the person.

Check out the Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. He did a piece on an avid archery hunter for Outdoor Magazine, became friends with the gentleman and later ended up going on a multi-week caribou hunt with him. Good read.

OP
M
I'd consider it if I got to know the person.

Check out the Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. He did a piece on an avid archery hunter for Outdoor Magazine, became friends with the gentleman and later ended up going on a multi-week caribou hunt with him. Good read.
Thanks for the recommendation- ill definitely check it out!