Taking a non-Hunter along - Yes or No

I took a buddy duck\goose hunting once and it turned into one of the funniest stories.

He wasnt a hunter back then but he hunts deer and grouse now. He wanted to come take pictures while I hunted, but when a flock of geese came in I let him shoot and he winged one that went down in a standing cornfield. We went in and he found it, wrestled it down and came out of that field prouder than ever. threw it in the back of a buddies truck and went home, as we are pulling up behind my buddies truck at the house, they open the tailgate, out pops the goose, and it up and flies away right in front of us, we had no guns loaded.

I forgot to tell him to ring the neck or make sure its dead and he didnt know any better.

So yeah if its not a hassle, take the non hunters out.

OP
M
The fact that you’re asking complete strangers on the internet instead of friends who hunt is a red flag to me.

P
Fair point but maybe misunderstood my intention - the goal of asking was to hear opinions from a vast array of people with experience I don’t have, not to find someone on the internet to take me hunting with them. Thanks for the reply, though.

Taudisio

WKR
It really depends on the hunt. I’ve taken my mother and little sister with me and she had never even shot a gun. They just wanted to go hiking in the mountains. They both said they really enjoyed themselves and both said their hearts were racing when we ran into 3 does at about 40 yards. I had a buck tag but they thought for sure I was going to shoot one. It made for some good laughs and memories, but we sounded like an elephant walking around. My chances of success went down that day, but it was worth it to share that part of my life with them. After that day, my mother packed out 4 deer with her horses for me and friends over the next few years before I moved out of the state. She says she absolutely loves doing it and always answered the phone eagerly during hunting season! She will be the first to tell you she doesn’t want to see one get shot, but doesn’t mind seeing them dead and helping out.

One of the ladies in my office asked if I would take her boyfriend along on a dayhunt. My first week is usually recon so I agreed to one day if he would be willing to go where I go.

I don't think he had spent much time on horses let alone jungle hunting. We rode in 5 miles on a road then worked our way up 1000ft leading our horses to the top of the ridge. A lot of this almost too steep to stand on. Then we worked our way about three miles to the high point on the ridge by going crosscountry through the cliffs and trees. At the top we broke for lunch with surplus MREs and then led the horses a couple miles through the downfall to a lower trail where we worked our way to the next saddle. On the way up he wasn't watching and got scrapped off by a limb. I got him reloaded then we got to the top and picked our way down a near verticle slope to a lower road where we rode for another hour to where we finished our loop and re-experienced going down the steep sob we came up followed by a 5 mile ride on a road in the dark back to the truck.

He thanked me - got into his truck and drove into town. It was just a nice 12-13 hr day.

Nobody has asked to go with me since.

The people saying not a non hunting stranger confuse me... Are y'all taking hunting strangers on trips?

I've been as a non hunter, and taken non hunting friends.

I'm sure I'll do it again.

I do try to match the hunt/experience to the person though. I've got non hunter friends who have done a week in the back country without resupplying, and hunter friends who need a hotel room every night.

MThuntr

WKR
I don't even take hunting friends to many spots let alone someone not 100% committed. It's a hassle. Extra people make for extra noise, movement, and scent. If the person isn't used to be being cold, hot, or wet then the complaints aren't far behind. Also this person now knows where you hunt...not usually a big deal but it doesn't take much for an ex-partner to talk to their new partner or family and then suddenly a meadow that was unnoticed has someone camped in it.

f16jack

WKR
Good points!

Most folks don't understand how uncomfortable hunting is.

What nonhunters don't understand, that for the hunter, ya don't turn back cause it is cold or rainy or something ate a hole in your tent. Well some do, but I don't think they ever were serious. If they leave a buddy hanging or drag him home cause it's their truck or gear or whatever, that's a crime.

Anyway - This year's hunt is 4 years in the making.
My secret to successful elk hunting is perserverance. You have to stay out - cold, wet, freezing, dark. You need to be there when the elk come through. If your buddy is willing to do that just great. If he's willing to remain back at camp and cook and have the fire going when you get back, also great. Just no complaining or negatively influencing the camp.

Coues123

FNG
I've taken about 25 adults/kids hunting or on a hunt, I met at the trailhead. Some wanted to stay in camp the duration others wanted to go out for a day and just see something they would never see on their own and some hunted. I made contact through swap hunts, kids of friends who couldn't hunt, in-laws of my kids and friends and so on. They paid for their food and whatever extra expense I incurred. Never had a bad experience but several frank conversations before leaving.

I've also guided for several outfitters. I've guided more hunters that I considered non-hunters than I care to remember.

IMO the difference between the two was I always tried to paint a picture that was actually worse than it was going to be. Outfitters don't have that option if they want to stay in business.

So for me, if you have some common sense, show some initiative, are willing to learn and have less bad habits than my worst mule.
I would give them a shot.

I personally welcome the extra company in camp. If I felt comfortable with you I'd let you come along to see what hunting is.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'm all for it but think physical and mental ability have to match the hunt. My cousin came along on a spring bear hunt that was in all honesty, quite miserable. Everything went wrong, though none of it was his fault, bad weather, bad shot on a good bear, etc., etc. Probably the best damn hunting partner a guy could ask for. He surprised the heck out of me with his willingness to glass all day and hunt hard despite the conditions. Elk feeding at 20 yards had him pure giddy.

Looking back I bet you could have told him his dog died and it wouldn't have changed his spirits. He's welcome with me anywhere anytime. Fellas with that kind of attitude and perspective are few and far between. So long story short I think it depends on the "non hunter." With a couple years of experience I'd bet my cousin could out hunt most experienced hunters due to his enthusiasm, attitude, physical ability.

WKR
It's a little different since I hunt, but anytime I go along on sometime else's hunting trip, I like to make sure I am more prepared than they are so I'm not allowing them down. Some of the things I do require hunting-specific knowledge, but most do not. I train to be in better physical shape than them, map out backup hunting areas in case they haven't, and have my gear tested and organized. When it's time to head out on the trip out leave camp for the day, I'm always ready early. When they're actually hunting, I always follow behind the guy with the tag, and I am careful to be quieter and slower moving than them. I bring my own optics and do a lot of glassing. I also do my best to be more calm as situations get more stressful. I'm always ready to help break down and pack out whatever game we're after. Really, I try to imitate what I think a good guide would do even though I am certainly not a guide. I've found this is a great way to spend time with friends and gain hunting experience even when I can't draw my own tags.

It's a little different since I hunt, but anytime I go along on sometime else's hunting trip, I like to make sure I am more prepared than they are so I'm not allowing them down. Some of the things I do require hunting-specific knowledge, but most do not. I train to be in better physical shape than them, map out backup hunting areas in case they haven't, and have my gear tested and organized. When it's time to head out on the trip out leave camp for the day, I'm always ready early. When they're actually hunting, I always follow behind the guy with the tag, and I am careful to be quieter and slower moving than them. I bring my own optics and do a lot of glassing. I also do my best to be more calm as situations get more stressful. I'm always ready to help break down and pack out whatever game we're after. Really, I try to imitate what I think a good guide would do even though I am certainly not a guide. I've found this is a great way to spend time with friends and gain hunting experience even when I can't draw my own tags.
Where do I sign for having you as a hunting partner? Lol

This is how I get to hunt in alaska, by tagging along. I’ve known the guy I go with for several years and it is an awesome time. At home I generally take 1-2 guys out that have very little to no hunting experience at all. Sometimes they hunt and I tag along. I have known these dudes for years and have spent time with them in the woods before. I am not sure that I would go out with anyone I didn’t already know.

If I was to take someone along in a situation like this (at least on a western big game hunt), I would want them to drive separate so they are not dependent on me for transportation. Even then, I’d be hesitant to show them my spots unless I trust them not to blab to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk