Dirty deeds in the high country

TaperPin

WKR
We all like to think the best about people we meet in the high country - especially the guys who appreciate big deer like we do.

I grew up under a rock apparently and didn’t recognize all the knuckleheads, most of them, yes, all of them, no.

When you scout and hunt the exact same patch of country for over a decade you meet people, share photos, make friends, have unwritten agreements to keep a little distance and not spoil anything for the other guy. All of us own the forest service, but we don’t pitch our tent on the hillside above an outfitter camp and for the most part outfitters don’t want to be hunting directly around us.

Today’s satellite resolution is noticeably better than ever and I started looking at familar high country and recalling big deer, other backpack hunters, horse hunters and outfitters. The increased resolution shows major game trails, outfitter tents, horse corals, etc better than ever. Riding paths in rough country are somewhat predictable once you see it from the air and ground.

Everyone knows it isnt legal to ride ridges with the intent of pushing deer into the drainage you will be hunting before the season, but it’s not illegal to be stupid. About every third year the outfitter in the drainage next to us has a guide take someone on a ride through where a number of backpack hunters primarily hunt. I looked a lot more carefully where they rode from and where they headed to, and rather than go through the quite sizable valley they have all locked up to themselves, they were riding from their camp back to the trailhead, up past us, and coming back essentially riding and walking the ridges for 5 miles down wind, then departing to get upwind another set of ridges. Karma will catch up to them.

I used to recommend them when someone liked to hunt the same type of country I do and was looking for a fully guided hunt in amazing country, but I’ll never send another person their way.

Based on what you wrote, nothing really sounds out of the ordinary to me. Outfitters riding around their permit area pre-season, aka scouting?

Reactions: ecw
I don’t think there is anything illegal about riding a ridge to push deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know it was illegal to walk around the outskirts of their hunting area.

Wait till you see someone do some trigger-happy ridgeline "squirrel hunting" while their buddies with deer tags wait down below. That's a little more intentional.

Brotha, use their tactics to your advantage, it is really that simple. Once you tag a couple bucks out infront of them, they will likely change it up.

If you havent massacred a squirrel with a 300 win mag can you say you have been deer hunting?
I've misted a chipmunk or several with my 7mag for blowing stalks! I was talking about the guys shooting around all day trying to push deer out of the timber or scrub brush.

HNTR918

WKR
Walk down to their camp prior to season start and ask them to not take that route, as for the last few years you've watched them drive deer away. Depending on how they respond, then you respond accordingly.

CorbLand

WKR
I've misted a chipmunk or several with my 7mag for blowing stalks! I was talking about the guys shooting around all day trying to push deer out of the timber or scrub brush.
I hunted with a guy that I am pretty sure he had more fun trying to shoot the heads off of grouse with his 7 than he did trying to kill an elk.