Taking a non-Hunter along - Yes or No

I've had multiple people ask to help them get into hunting. I tell them to get their hunters education course done, then we will talk. I've only had one guy actually go through with the process and now we've hunted multiple states together and it's rare we don't help on each other's hunts. Bringing someone along on scouting trips or hunts is a hassle because you're usually not taking them to places you want to be hunting or scouting at least at first. It takes a few trips and some suffering before I start showing them places where animals like to be or where I find animals to harvest and feed my family with.

Depending on the hunt, usually I’m all for taking a non-hunter with me. To set expectations though, unless I’m going after a doe, most of my hunts aren’t going to be too exciting.

It would depend on how well I knew the person and what their expectations were. I have access to some private DMAP properties that are loaded with deer and have easy access with high odds of success.

87TT

WKR
My stepson just retired from the Army National Guard. Two tours in Iraq and other deployments. He says he has no desire to "kill" anything but wants to come hunt with me. He says he has stated a willingness to learn to call for elk and turkey. We are making plans for turkey season and possibly elk. I'm hoping turkey gets him going and he wants to hunt. But we will see.

Makes sense. I like to think I’m fairly good at reading social cues, I’m not much of a conversationalist myself - as I mentioned I mainly would be interested as a way to enjoy nature and learn the work that goes into a successful hunt. Appreciate the reply!
There are lots of youtube videos of full hunts. Watch some of those. Then go camping in the backcountry by yourself or with a friend for several days/nights at a time (ideally a full week) without going back to the trailhead, climbing up and down 2000ft or so daily, filtering your own water, eating Mountain house meals, etc.. Then when you get home, watch the youtube hunting videos again. You will have a good idea of what its like then.

I think a non-hunter can be super helpful...

- extra set of eyes to look for game (bring some decent binoculars!)
- extra back to help packing in/out
- extra set of hands for field dressing
- someone to stay on high ground and watch the quarry during a stalk
- for some hunts, an extra guy could drive game toward me
- for some hunts, I'd love to post a guy in a highly visible observation spot to discourage other hunters from entering a basin (Operation Scarecrow)
- Go-fer (truck, food, water, etc)

If you don't think you could be useful for at least some of the above functions, I would just stay home.

Would you find it a hassle for someone like me to come along and learn/support a hunt?

One of my best friends (non-hunter, for the most part) has been coming along on archery elk hunts with me for 7 or 8 years now. Having him along helps me be confident enough to hunt deeper spots. He's helped me pack a couple bulls. Honestly he knows more about elk hunting now than I did at year two or three.

As an outdoorsman he's no liability. He gets outside whenever he can, probably more than me. He's fit, and we work out together. He appreciates the wild world. He doesn't complain when the sun is going down and we have 8 miles to walk out that night before driving straight home 12 hours.

All that to say, I'd 'hunt' with a dude like him before most 'real hunters.'

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
My stepson just retired from the Army National Guard. Two tours in Iraq and other deployments. He says he has no desire to "kill" anything but wants to come hunt with me. He says he has stated a willingness to learn to call for elk and turkey. We are making plans for turkey season and possibly elk. I'm hoping turkey gets him going and he wants to hunt. But we will see.
Definitely take him out. The woods are always good for getting your mind right.

I had similar feelings after a deployment a few years back to the point I wasn’t sure if I wanted to hunt anymore, and I’ve been obsessed with hunting and went every chance I could growing up. Took a year or two off before I got back into it.

I'd take you along for a very controlled scenario/"easy" type of hunting for a morning, afternoon, or day type trip. White tail deer, waterfowl, squirrel hunting, and maybe turkeys until I got to know you better, maybe an antelope hunt out West.

Chuckybmd

WKR
That’s a big ask.

My hunting buddies are my closest and best friends.

I think this goes back to prehistoric humans struggling to survive with their group.

Hunting and tracking animals, in my opinion, is one of the highest forms of male bonding apart from war.

I think that is one of the many reasons why it would be difficult to take a non-Hunter without knowing them first.

Yoder

WKR
For me it would have to be a throw away hunt. If I was just trying to fill a doe tag I would do it. I think the motivation of the person would also matter. Why are you interested? My wife got into hunting like this. She asked to come with me a few times to see what it was like. I took her to a spot where we would see deer but not where I was expecting to see a giant buck. There was no pressure and we had fun. She got her license last year and wound up killing her first deer.

Rich M

WKR
I think a non-hunter can be super helpful...

- extra set of eyes to look for game (bring some decent binoculars!)
- extra back to help packing in/out
- extra set of hands for field dressing
- someone to stay on high ground and watch the quarry during a stalk
- for some hunts, an extra guy could drive game toward me
- for some hunts, I'd love to post a guy in a highly visible observation spot to discourage other hunters from entering a basin (Operation Scarecrow)
- Go-fer (truck, food, water, etc)

If you don't think you could be useful for at least some of the above functions, I would just stay home.

Good points!

Most folks don't understand how uncomfortable hunting is.

What nonhunters don't understand, that for the hunter, ya don't turn back cause it is cold or rainy or something ate a hole in your tent. Well some do, but I don't think they ever were serious. If they leave a buddy hanging or drag him home cause it's their truck or gear or whatever, that's a crime.

Anyway - This year's hunt is 4 years in the making.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had two non-hunters (one is now a hunter :)) on a backcounty bison hunt in the Beartooths a few year back; I think they thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Well as much as you can thoroughly enjoy butchering/boning out a bison in the dark, hanging 10 bags of meat high enough to keep grizzlies off it and then making multiple trips packing 600 lbs of boned out meat 7 miles one way :ROFLMAO:

They did go home with ~ 100 lbs of bison meat for their efforts though (and some cool memories!)

Idaboy

WKR
To OP, would I take some random person I've never met.....no. But I have taken non hunters. My best friend is mostly a non hunter but is quite the mountaineering guy. He's a great hunting partner and it's been great to have him experience a big elk nearly stepping on him. He really has no interest in killing anything himself but it's been great teaching him about the elk woods, and his packing, camping, backcountry skills are a great fit

Braaap

WKR
In general no I would absolutely not take a non hunter. Last season I took a good non-hunter friend of mine on a high elevation backpack hunt for mule deer. However I knew him well and he’s an experienced backpacker and super fit. We had a great time and I would take him on any hunt anywhere. I can only think of one other non-hunter I know that I would do the same trip with and he’s an ex smokejumper and hotshot wildland firefighter for a decade and would love it.