Sythe Ti Coming Loose

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I've been digging around and looking at how everyone keeps their direct thread cans tight but none of them refer to titanium. I just got a Sythe Ti out of jail a couple months ago and it has been a royal pain in the ass with coming loose. I know Titanium expands and cools at a different rate than steel which could make it more likely to come loose, hence why some action manufacturers went away from Titanium. There isn't much on the website from SilencerCo about this issue. I see blue loctite, Teflon tape, and Vibra-Tite as some fairly standard ways of keeping them snug. Anyone out there have a Titanium Can that has found a good way of keeping everything snug?

I will add that I am using this on multiple rifles.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I have a AB Raptor 8, which is titanium. I have nickel antisieze on my threads and hand muscle it as tight as I can. I have had no issues with it loosening over more than 1000 rounds. I do check it periodically and move it between rifles.

I have not had problem taking it off either.

I assume you're referring to the can itself loosening from the barrel?

Get it as tight as possible by hand and after you shoot it and get it hot, try to tighten it some more. Shoot it a lot while making sure it stays tight often.

Don't clean it or the barrel. You'll get a bit of carbon lock going.

My factory threaded barrel has pretty sloppy/loose feeling threads as I thread on my scythe. I did what I described above and it only came loose on me once and that was in the first 10 rounds.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Addmittely part of my issue might be a bit of fear of over tightening. There isn't any torque specs that could find so I've been cautious.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Addmittely part of my issue might be a bit of fear of over tightening. There isn't any torque specs that could find so I've been cautious.
If you have a proper shoulder on your barrel, I don't think you can over tighten by hand. Perhaps with a pipe wrench, but I think the can would deform before the threads or shoulder gave out.

If you can unscrew a barrel by hand that has been tightened to 90+ foot pounds, I might stop being willing to bet money on the above.

Edit: Muzzle break's are torqued to 30 foot pounds, going over that is probably not great as it might stretch the threads, how much metal is between the bore and minor diameter of the threads will effect that though (i.e. is it a 30 cal with 1/2-28 or a 22 cal with 5/8-24).

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I've been digging around and looking at how everyone keeps their direct thread cans tight but none of them refer to titanium. I just got a Sythe Ti out of jail a couple months ago and it has been a royal pain in the ass with coming loose. I know Titanium expands and cools at a different rate than steel which could make it more likely to come loose, hence why some action manufacturers went away from Titanium. There isn't much on the website from SilencerCo about this issue. I see blue loctite, Teflon tape, and Vibra-Tite as some fairly standard ways of keeping them snug. Anyone out there have a Titanium Can that has found a good way of keeping everything snug?

I will add that I am using this on multiple rifles.

To the barrel I get it snug back it off 1/4-1/2 turn and wrist snap the hell out of it tight. I have had some cans that still come loose. Then I will use a touch of rocksett if the gun is short enough to not need the can taken off frequently. The brake and direct thread adapter need to be rocksett in to not get loose.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
I have the scythe and I have not experienced it loosening. Usually go hand tight snug espc after so many rounds. Usually when removing the can it wants to unscrew from the base which likes to stay attached to the barrel and I just use the supplied spanner wrench to remove it. If anything I need to put a dab of anti seize on the muzzle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have the scythe and I have not experienced it loosening. Usually go hand tight snug espc after so many rounds. Usually when removing the can it wants to unscrew from the base which likes to stay attached to the barrel and I just use the supplied spanner wrench to remove it. If anything I need to put a dab of anti seize on the muzzle.

Put rocksett on that direct mount so it doesn't come off the can

What caliber do u shoot this can with?

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I'll give it the business. I am shooting in on several rifles spanning from a 30 Nosler +P all the way down to a 6 BR

I have had both of my Scythe’s come loose while shooting. POI shifted. No baffle strikes.
I crank the shit out of them too and had to RockSett the direct thread adapters in both of the cans.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Like the other guy said, snug it down, back off a 1/4 turn and slam it shut.

Mine loosens up when I’m at the range, I keep an oven mitt with me and check it every few rounds. Non issue for hunting since I’m not firing lots of rounds.