SWFA, what’s the deal?

BjornF16

WKR
The issue isn’t with QC…it is generally a supply chain issue worsened by the COVID fiasco. Japan has suffered a particularly hard shut down.

I called the other day about my 3-9HD order…placed in January 2022. I was told the longest back order for 3-9HD goes back to January 2021. She also said there were 73 on back order.

I was also told they reserve a couple of scopes in each shipment for warranty replacements. I don’t think this is unusual. Each scope that is sold has a “warranty” reserve added into the price.

“Form” has stated that NF has about 1% warranty return rate…other ”solid” manufacturers have about 2% return rate. Vortex and Leupold…well, they “have great warranties”.

ChrisAU

WKR
The issue isn’t with QC…it is generally a supply chain issue worsened by the COVID fiasco. Japan has suffered a particularly hard shut down.

I called the other day about my 3-9HD order…placed in January 2022. I was told the longest back order for 3-9HD goes back to January 2021. She also said there were 73 on back order.

I was also told they reserve a couple of scopes in each shipment for warranty replacements. I don’t think this is unusual. Each scope that is sold has a “warranty” reserve added into the price.

“Form” has stated that NF has about 1% warranty return rate…other ”solid” manufacturers have about 2% return rate. Vortex and Leupold…well, they “have great warranties”.

Just 73? Seems like one shipment would knock that out. The 3-15 came in stock a few weeks ago and has stayed there…maybe the 3-9 will too.

Just 73? Seems like one shipment would knock that out. The 3-15 came in stock a few weeks ago and has stayed there…maybe the 3-9 will too.

I'm one of the 73 waiting on a 3-9 so I'm hoping they'll come in soon (it will go on a Tikka .223 when i can find one again). I did pick up a 3-15x42 when they came in stock and so far have been impressed with it. Reasonable weight, durable and dialable, and has parallax adjustment (unlike the 3-9 version). I also really like the MilQuad reticle. Glass quality is fine...it isn't quite the picture as a NF ATACR or Swaro X5 but it also hasn't left me wanting at all in low light out to 400 yards. In other words, I wouldn't miss a shot on an animal in legal light due to "glass."

ihuntsolo

FNG
Hey have you guys who backordered on 3-9s got your order by now? They have 3-15 in stock but I want a 3-9, which is 5oz lighter.

Last edited:

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I am convinced that they are going out of business. Almost all of their scopes are out of stock and inventory for all brands is very low.

I am convinced that they are going out of business. Almost all of their scopes are out of stock and inventory for all brands is very low.
They have almost nothing in stock at all. They shut their physical store front a while back. Possibly a restructuring to focus only on scopes, but it does not look good.

If you order a backordered scope on their 30% off "sale", do they charge you when it ships or when the order is placed? Might have my tin foil hat on and no idea how bankruptcy works, but if they were on the way down, could this last sale be a cash grab before they close the doors? They couldn't take the money and run could they?

id_jon

WKR
If you order a backordered scope on their 30% off "sale", do they charge you when it ships or when the order is placed? Might have my tin foil hat on and no idea how bankruptcy works, but if they were on the way down, could this last sale be a cash grab before they close the doors? They couldn't take the money and run could they?
Pretty sure on my last backorder, it wasn't charged until it shipped. I might be mistaken though.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I recently ordered two items. One was in stock and the other was not. They billed me for the item they had, and shipped it to me. The other item is on backorder and I will not be billed until it comes in.

If I was an optics company I'd probably want my inventory low rite before shot show as well.
Why would you want to be sitting on out dates stuff.
Id put all my capital into whatever jazz was getting released at shot

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I just got off the phone with their customer service and asked why they held such a dramatic sale and if they're going out of business. She told me they're clearing out inventory to focus on their SWFA optics (for some reason also including SWFA optics in said sale) and that they are not going out of business.

sndmn11

WKR
My inclination is that they placed a huge SWFA order from the OEM at the peak of the pandemic outdoor industry super bubble. That order is probably the next delivery. With inflation and that industry bubble deflating, someone probably decided it would be less stressful to get some of that order "sold" before it landed.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I just got off the phone with their customer service and asked why they held such a dramatic sale and if they're going out of business. She told me they're clearing out inventory to focus on their SWFA optics (for some reason also including SWFA optics in said sale) and that they are not going out of business.
Thanks for clarifying!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It should but I think people really underestimate how hard the governments in Asian countries shut things down. China just started letting people have their freedom back a few weeks ago. My friends there were pretty much on house arrest for most of the past 2 years. People I know in Japan have similar stories, lots of factories are only letting a few people work at a time and lots of other companies in that country are doing similar. You should price out power sports equipment made in Asia (Honda, Yamaha, 550ci snow machine engines etc) the prices are absurd.

Check out this podcast, this guy talks about sourcing clothing from Asia.

Said container times went from 45 days to 7 months.
Like $4700 to 30k shipping.
Then tariffs 20 to 120k.

Said that because of the one child rule and the murder of female babies the male domination has ruined there ability to reproduce.

Says he think we have 10 years to bring everything we need from Asia back to the states before it completely dries up.
Said it will never be the same.
Who knows the validation of his claims but it was pretty eye opening for me.
Any was interesting.

He brought all his stuff back to American production.
Screenshot_20221222-072650_Google.jpg