SWFA Shot show

gbflyer

WKR
Also if I asked anyone here locally if they ever heard of Formidiulous, they'd think it was an STD.

Sorry Form I do like some of your content.

That’s pretty good actually. I can’t pronounce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure if SWFA was going to start mass-producing scopes at the level of Leupold or Vortex then the quality would be at the same level of said companies.

Supply and demand has always been off and on with SWFA. Bought my first in 2010. (Fixed 10x). Got pretty popular after the Sniper 101 series on YouTube by TiborosaurusRex. I'm sure the popularity on RS has set it over the edge in demand.

JGRaider

WKR
IMO, since SWFA doesn't make anything, they are at the mercy of their suppliers. That's a bad position to be in unless you have enough volume they need to keep you happy. IIRC those scopes were basically Tasco's that were beefed up 15+ years ago and became SWFA's.

sndmn11

WKR
Alot of companys have said that just to sell of there inventory and close the doors.

I suppose I'd wonder the purpose of asking the question then if the expectation is dishonesty in an answer. 🤷 I believe they've been honest to a T over the past few years and I also believe "we don't know when shipments are coming" can be an honest answer along with "we aren't going out of business".

t_carlson

WKR
They already “made” the scope. The design is decades old. The problem now is getting an order with the oem and getting it shipped here to sell. For some reason that is the hard part for them. It may be an issue of capitol to pay for the shipment. It may be that the oem is backed up and production is slow. It may be that the order size that they want to get is too small for the oem to prioritize. You’re making it sound like they’re hand making them in a shop in back of the store.

Its not all about the "design."

There's parts and labor involved too, and a reliable scope needs precise components. To get precise components, you have to reject a certain percentage that do not meet specs. We're talking thousands of an inch, and the more components you reject, the more expensive your product becomes.

If I had to guess, I'd say that SWFA had a source for components and that source has been impacted by either the pandemic or the war(s) or both.

It is not so simple to manufacture a reliable $300 scope, but if you think it is so easy, start up a company. If SWFA is any indication, you'll sell them as fast as they roll off the line.

Wrench

WKR
I have a pre super sniper 10x that is made by tasco. It's every bit as tough as today's model.

I did some wheeling and dealing with over seas companies on light bars for awhile.

It was a real chore.
Language barriers.
Fronting the money.
Shipping cost was always unknown.
Duty tax and how long they would be in customs unknown.
Exactly how long it would be until they got to your order to fill it.
They would give me a tracking number but when they stuff was on the boat you had no idea. And no idea how long it took to get across.

Swfa could certainly be pulling a fast one.

Most likely id imagine they are trying to source more money so they can place a larger order.

The fact they don't take money for the back order blows my mind. They are just straight fronting the money for months.
Cause the manufacturer isn't even putting you in the build cue until you pay up.

Its not all about the "design."

There's parts and labor involved too, and a reliable scope needs precise components. To get precise components, you have to reject a certain percentage that do not meet specs. We're talking thousands of an inch, and the more components you reject, the more expensive your product becomes.

If I had to guess, I'd say that SWFA had a source for components and that source has been impacted by either the pandemic or the war(s) or both.

It is not so simple to manufacture a reliable $300 scope, but if you think it is so easy, start up a company. If SWFA is any indication, you'll sell them as fast as they roll off the line.
It kinda is all about the “design”. The design is what sets the specs for those precise components and how the scope must be assembled.

And I have never said it was easy to manufacture a scope or have a scope company. However in the context of overall scope manufacturing I imagine a fixed 10x with a design from the 90s is much easier to assemble than a modern variable scope with illumination and locking turrets.

t_carlson

WKR
It kinda is all about the “design”. The design is what sets the specs for those precise components and how the scope must be assembled.

And I have never said it was easy to manufacture a scope or have a scope company. However in the context of overall scope manufacturing I imagine a fixed 10x with a design from the 90s is much easier to assemble than a modern variable scope with illumination and locking turrets.

Ok. Let me know when the Mountainrancher 10X hits the market for $300 and I'll buy one.

matthewmt

WKR
I just got off the phone with swfa, they said they never go to shot so that's nothing new.
No update tho,

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I just got off the phone with swfa, they said they never go to shot so that's nothing new.
No update tho,

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That sounds like we won't see any new product anytime soon in 2024 (despite what their website states), so plan to wait indefinitely for your backorder, or invest in another brand/model scope🙄

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I mean it sounds like y'all think they should get some equity group together to fund them, get a big advertising budget, outsource their production overseas, ramp up production numbers, link up with a bunch of youtubers to pimp their brand, hire a PR person, get a snazzy website design and pump the marketing up...but yet not be like Vortex.

The reality is that much has been left open to speculation and interpretation, with little to no information given to the consumer. There have been loyal customers that have purchased from SWFA in the past and would like to again in the future...many who have been on backorder for a year or more. I think it's fair to say consumers have been patient, considering after a lengthy wait, all they have gotten was "OUR PASSION IS OPTICS. OUR FOCUS IS YOU. OUR JOURNEY IS NEW. MORE TO COME IN 2024". That's pretty nebulous for some folks at this point, and I think current customers in particular don't feel like their FOCUS is on them.

After all, the largest industry show of 2024 (SHOT) has come and gone, with no new ETA for product. It's January, and given the company's track record for order fulfillment, many customers likely already are not sure if they are waiting another year (or at least getting the scope they wanted in time to be ready for hunting season).

I feel much of the current frustration is that not only do customers want their backorders, but everyone wants to support a good product at an "affordable" price. Being a good company with good products doesn't justify a lack of communication that many folks see as "bad business".

I hope that whatever diabolical plan they have concocted comes to fruition sooner than later, so they can continue to be a successful company, with loyal and happy customers. 😁

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
For the fixed 6’s, send requests to Sightron. Kenko in Japan make the fixed powers for SWFA. Kenko’s personal pet brand is Sightron. Eons ago, Sightron made suspiciously similar fixed 10 power dialing scopes with HD glass (their Slll line). I’ve heard these are the same repurposed design. They probably didn’t/don’t perceive a market for them. With SWFA stagnating, make your fixed 6 desires known to the company that actually makes the scopes, and someone might reuse the design and make a 6x42 (maybe an HD)… but be sure to make a usable MIL reticle request too because I have no idea what these originally had.

I have no suggestion for the 3-9s.

Attachments

• IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7093.jpeg
    IMG_7093.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 86
This is embarrassing for them as a company at this point
I agree, but it doesn’t matter, as they get scopes in stock, people will still buy them as fast as they show up, it’s not like they’re going to lose sales

Maybe they don’t want to get any bigger than they are and are content with how their business operates right now, no telling

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree, but it doesn’t matter, as they get scopes in stock, people will still buy them as fast as they show up, it’s not like they’re going to lose sales

Maybe they don’t want to get any bigger than they are and are content with how their business operates right now, no telling
If they get more in stock (mil/mil 6x or 3-9) I will buy one. However, at this point I'm doubtful there will be an opportunity to buy another one other than used.

If they get more in stock (mil/mil 6x or 3-9) I will buy one. However, at this point I'm doubtful there will be an opportunity to buy another one other than used.
Absolutely, I would love to have a couple more 3-9’s, very utilitarian scope for me

I’m in your same position, I have little hope to ever buy one new, and that’s a bummer, but I assume they are content doing what they are… I would love to see them with inventory at some point, but life’s not fair, haha

I think if there was change on the horizon, we would have some reassurance by them that things will change, but that ain’t happening

I hope that they will take back orders again at some point so I can get on the list, for that I can only blame myself, because there was a timeframe that I knew I really liked them and I could have got a couple back ordered, but I didn’t