SWFA Shot show

Any news from SWFA at shot show this year? Seems like they have gone through various changes in recent years. I really like their products. I'm considering buying another scope for a 300 wsm project. Just a little worried about longevity of the company. I know it's been rough for small businesses.

TxLite

WKR
I haven’t seen anything yet. Was really hoping they’d have something after seeing the “new things in 2024” teaser on the website.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
If their internal system is from the 80’s the patents have expired. Why aren’t other companies leveraging technology that works? I am uncertain how they stay in business with today’s competitive climate considering their poor ability to meet demand. Perhaps a merger or joint venture Is needed. Imagine if Leupold and SWFA combined for a single run model to test the market. The margins are there for this to happen.

Just goes to show you that you can have a quality product, a loyal customer base, and seemingly limitless demand for your product… and still manage to fail at your business SPECTACULARLY.

Probably because Rokslide alone isn't going to carry them. I guaran-dam-tee you if I ask anyone here in middle TN that hunts if they heard of SWFA scopes, they would say "SW-wut?"

Probably because Rokslide alone isn't going to carry them. I guaran-dam-tee you if I ask anyone here in middle TN that hunts if they heard of SWFA scopes, they would say "SW-wut?"
I think the rokstock and maven rs1.2 have shown that rokslide can be a big part of a successful product and business
Edit to add stockeys has probably seen a huge uptick in sales due to their presence on rokslide as well

TheCougar

WKR
Given how long several of their scopes have been on back order, I think there is a lot more than Rokslide demand.

t_carlson

WKR
Just goes to show you that you can have a quality product, a loyal customer base, and seemingly limitless demand for your product… and still manage to fail at your business SPECTACULARLY.

Pretty easy to criticize. I bet it is much harder to make a scope that holds zero and dials reliably for $300.

I think they should be cut some slack. If it was so simple, every $300 scope would do that.

Pretty easy to criticize. I bet it is much harder to make a scope that holds zero and dials reliably for $300.

I think they should be cut some slack. If it was so simple, every $300 scope would do that.
It’s not that hard at all the design of those scopes is 20+ years old. The hard part is done

t_carlson

WKR
It’s not that hard at all the design of those scopes is 20+ years old. The hard part is done

I don't think you have any idea what part of the optics business is the "hard" part.

Again, if it is sooooo easy, why doesn't everyone make a $300 scope that tracks and holds zero???

TheCougar

WKR
I don't think you have any idea what part of the optics business is the "hard" part.

Again, if it is sooooo easy, why doesn't everyone make a $300 scope that tracks and holds zero???
It’s not the product. It’s the management and operation of the business. Their store is closed down. Their website is only partially functional. A large number of their products are unavailable or on back order. They have nothing of note on their “customer facing” accounts (FB, IG, etc). Their CS can’t tell if if they are still making old scopes, have new scopes in the work, fulfilling backorders. When you have customers (like me, and I’m not the only one to ask) write them to figure out if they are going out of business and WTH is going on with their products, you have a problem.

When the CS answer to the following questions is some form of “I don’t know/not sure/they don’t tell us anything)”, you have a problem.
- are you going out of business?
- are you still producing (insert back order product here)?
- are you still fulfilling outstanding backorders?
- do you have new products in the works? Any details on when they will be available?

If it is easy to criticize, that’s because they are making it so. Imagine what just an iota of information for current and future customers might do.

“Thanks for being so patient. We are/are not filling backorders. We have this/that estimated delivery schedule. We are planning on releasing new products by xxxx. oh, any we aren’t going out of business”.

idahodave

WKR
Rokslide demand isn't the issue.

SWFA's were popular on other web-sites much earlier than Rokslide. They've had a cult following on 24Hourcampfire and Snipers Hide for many, many years.

There have been a few long-time fans here on the Slide,...but most of the devotion has occurred in the last couple of years.

Dave

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA/Southwest Firearms has probably never had a presence at shot. I've never seen em and they don't appear on the attendee list this year. They might be walking around checking shit out but for their size of business there's no reason to cough up money to sit behind a folding table. And their brick and mortar Southwest Firearms store seems to be closed per the google.

my first purchase from them was in 2006. their product line has slightly expanded but it's not like they've really come up with anything new in the past 18 years. i wouldn't be holding my breath for great news, or any news.

They already “made” the scope. The design is decades old. The problem now is getting an order with the oem and getting it shipped here to sell. For some reason that is the hard part for them. It may be an issue of capitol to pay for the shipment. It may be that the oem is backed up and production is slow. It may be that the order size that they want to get is too small for the oem to prioritize. You’re making it sound like they’re hand making them in a shop in back of the store.