SWFA 3-9 unicorn quick look

bluumoon

WKR
Replaced a mildot version with a new mil quad today. Didn't notice the eye piece needing to be overly extended. Three shots to sight in, only because I didn't see the first shot immediately, measured 0.6 mil left, 1.5 mil low with scope, corrected on dials and sent one dead center.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks. I wear glasses but not when using a scope/binos so that is probably the difference.
I never found it to be an issue shooting a gun but I have trouble with binos, even ones that are supposed to be nice for glasses wearers. I end up using binos without glasses which isn’t as good.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
The threads being exposed doesn't bother me. The fact that there is a noticeable in old vs new adjustment raises a flag. What changed to make the difference? What else has changed that has yet to be noticed? Are the new scopes as reliable as the old? Are all the internals the same as the older scopes?

Maybe, maybe not. I sure hope they are.

This sounds like the justification I need to buy a new rifle to test out the new scope I just received.

😁

The threads being exposed doesn't bother me. The fact that there is a noticeable in old vs new adjustment raises a flag. What changed to make the difference? What else has changed that has yet to be noticed? Are the new scopes as reliable as the old? Are all the internals the same as the older scopes?

Maybe, maybe not. I sure hope they are.

This sounds like the justification I need to buy a new rifle to test out the new scope I just received.

😁
Look a few posts above, my dipoter is positioned in the roughly the same spot new vs old... I still have a couple more 3-9's to mount so maybe that will change. I'm screwed out a few turns with a negligible gap on both.

Last edited:

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Look a few posts above, my dipoter is positioned in the roughly the same spot new vs old... I still have a couple more 3-9's to mount so maybe that will change. I'm screwed out a few turns with a negligible gap on both.

As was stated....for some of us, it's noticeably different from the previous. Seems yours isn't. So either something in the design/materials/construction/production is different from previous to new or not all of the new ones are built the same. If design/materials/construction/production is the same, then there should be little difference. The gap being there doesn't bother me...but it does make me question the difference in either old to new or between new.

Season ends here on 2/10. After that I'll start playing with stuff to see.

BjornF16

WKR
As was stated....for some of us, it's noticeably different from the previous. Seems yours isn't. So either something in the design/materials/construction/production is different from previous to new or not all of the new ones are built the same. If design/materials/construction/production is the same, then there should be little difference. The gap being there doesn't bother me...but it does make me question the difference in either old to new or between new.
Maybe that particular assembler is very nearsighted 🤷‍♂️

Long Cut

WKR
Side Note:

I have an HD 3-9 SS on Backorder…

What scope would you compare quality/clarity wise to the HD version SWFA’s?

I’ve heard Zeiss Conquest V4’s, Bushnell LRST’s and Leupold VX3’s are comparable to HD SWFA’s… Is this true?

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Side Note:

I’ve heard Zeiss Conquest V4’s, Bushnell LRST’s and Leupold VX3’s are comparable to HD SWFA’s… Is this true?
It's more than clear enough.

Dobermann

WKR
Side Note:

To my eyes, the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS has better 'glass'. I think the SWFA 3-9 overall is a better package (wrt reliability, reticle, weight), and with slightly updated coatings would be in even more of a class of its own than it already is.

The LRTS/LRHS is a step down in most areas, but has the edge in max power and glass. Fairly significant weight penalty for that though.

Just my .02.

I should be receiving mine shortly and can report as well. Might look funny. But as long as it works I don’t care.

I did just get a new 10MQ with debris inside on the lenses. As a Canadian who cannot simply swap one out after importing, that was slightly annoying.
Where are you buying these from ?