Swarovski ATC 17-40x56mm Review, By Court Gordon

Man, now I’m really struggling between the 65 ATS and STC/ATC.

Maybe some folks will be able to answer this, if you could only afford one of the ATC or ATS, which would you choose?

Also, is there any difference between orange and green besides color on ATC?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, now I’m really struggling between the 65 ATS and STC/ATC.

Maybe some folks will be able to answer this, if you could only afford one of the ATC or ATS, which would you choose?

Also, is there any difference between orange and green besides color on ATC?

I think it really depends on what you're doing with the scope. There are species (goat/sheep come to mind) where the larger spotter is going to be advantageous. If you're hunting wide open terrain (regardless of species), the larger spotter might come in handy there as well.

There are a lot of other hunts where that's not the case and smaller/lighter spotter might be the better bet.

The nice thing about purchasing Swaro is that if for reason you made the wrong choice on your optic, you'll almost always recoup the vast amount of the purchase price.

No difference, just color.

I think it really depends on what you're doing with the scope. There are species (goat/sheep come to mind) where the larger spotter is going to be advantageous. If you're hunting wide open terrain (regardless of species), the larger spotter might come in handy there as well.

There are a lot of other hunts where that's not the case and smaller/lighter spotter might be the better bet.

The nice thing about purchasing Swaro is that if for reason you made the wrong choice on your optic, you'll almost always recoup the vast amount of the purchase price.

No difference, just color.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I’d be using this for mule deer and elk and honestly I’m leaning towards picking up the ATC because I’ve never had a spotter I could pack in with me. I’m currently running a vortex Razor Gen 1 20-60x and I honestly hate the optical clarity on it, and it’s giant. So I’m assuming that the ATC would hopefully outclass it even with only 40x zoom. I’ll keep digging but I wonder if having a spotter you’re willing to pack with you is more valuable.

I wear glasses when using a spotter. Looked through the little Swaro ATC at the sheep show a couple weeks ago. Was not impressed with the eye relief so did not spend any time with it. I have a 12 year old Swaro ATM (magnesium) 20-60 x 65mm HD for sheep, caribou, etc. Also a little Nikon 13-30 x 50mm HD for ultralight use and don't think I will be replacing either of them with the ATC.

And I did look through an angled 55mm Kowa at the sheep show as well. Was a very clear scope, but really lacked field of view. Kowa 55mm versus the Swaro ATC...I was more impressed with the Kowa, and I consider myself a Swaro guy. Note that this was a one minute view through each of the scopes, an hour apart, in a convention center hall under artificial light, so not much of a "test". And wearing glasses puts another element into the test.

So on the next Rokside test, I'd like to see an eye glass wearer's review included. And I find that with glasses, angled scopes are easier to use than the same scope body with a straight eye piece rated at the identical eye relief.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So on the next Rokside test, I'd like to see an eye glass wearer's review included. And I find that with glasses, angled scopes are easier to use than the same scope body with a straight eye piece rated at the identical eye relief.

I have a set of glasses with a really mild prescription my optometrist gave me as I prepare for the inevitable decline in vision that comes with age.

I don’t use them while glassing, as I can use the optic’s focus to compensate, but I will certainly use them when I take a look at this optic compared to the Kowa 55 and ATS 65, and give my impressions.

My review will supplement this excellent field review from @HuntWyld .

I know it is not in the same class but I would be curious to see how the Maven S.2 spotter stacks up against the Swaro ATC/STC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sufishent

FNG
I saw that review as well and im not totally sure what to think of it because I’ve been nothing but impressed with the optical performance of the ATC even against other alpha 65mm scopes.

I agree the 25-50 eye piece tends to be favored, but I would bet that the ATS with 25-50 is almost identical to the Leica APO 25-50x65mm scope that I mentioned in the review. Both are top quality alpha glass with wide angle eye piece, and like I stated in the review the only thing that the wide angle 25-50x65mm seems to have on the ATC is a slightly better ability to gather light. Edge to edge clarity, sharp image, and viewing experience I would argue there is no difference which is why I think if weight/size is of any concern the ATC is a no brainer.
Awesome review man. and really like the fact you did the review looking at Blacktail deer and Black Bears on the Oregon coast. I took both up on the Northern end this year and have an older Leupold gold ring 15x30 that have been thinking about upgrading.

WyoHuntr

FNG
Another vote for a Kowa 550 vs Swaro ATC/STC showdown!!! The low light performance between the two is what I really want to see more opinions on.

I bought the Kowa 554 last year. I hunt timber bucks that feed in early, and come out late. So, low light performance is very important to me. It was awesome in full daylight, but it was my least useful optic at dusk/dawn. I cussed that damn scope every morning and every evening. For 6oz heavier, and a lot more money, the Swaro better bring its A-game!

I'd be more apt to just buy it & try it, but my STS 65mm is being unceremoniously retired for a younger, sexier STS 65. A low light shootout would help deduce if the STC juice is worth the $2500 squeeze!

TXCO

WKR
Do you feel you have to have the atc on a tripod or could you lay it on a pack or use a trekking pole as a monopod? Not for ring counting but checking and getting a better idea of an animal than with binos.

Im struggling justifying an atc over the 65mm but if I dont have to carry a tripod on an early season or fast hunt that might do it.

HuntWyld

WKR
Do you feel you have to have the atc on a tripod or could you lay it on a pack or use a trekking pole as a monopod? Not for ring counting but checking and getting a better idea of an animal than with binos.

Im struggling justifying an atc over the 65mm but if I dont have to carry a tripod on an early season or fast hunt that might do it.

I have not done this since I usually carry a tripod but that is a design function of this scope and the purpose of the clam shell that comes with it, allowing you to adjust the focus ring while it is laying on a pack or coat etc.

TXCO

WKR
I have not done this since I usually carry a tripod but that is a design function of this scope and the purpose of the clam shell that comes with it, allowing you to adjust the focus ring while it is laying on a pack or coat etc.

Yea Im just trying get some real world view on if its feasible. Still none in stock around me to get my hands on it.

I'm looking at getting a spotting scope, currently have zeiss conquest hd binos, excellent glass. Debating on zeiss gavia 85, unsure yet.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd also love to see the Kowa to Swaro comparison. I have a Kowa but might switch due to the extra field of view on the Swaro.

Justin or Matt I'd volunteer my Kowa for the comparison and send it to you if you need one to compare. I just need it back before I start scouting this summer. I have the straight 554.

HuntWyld

WKR
I'd also love to see the Kowa to Swaro comparison. I have a Kowa but might switch due to the extra field of view on the Swaro.

Justin or Matt I'd volunteer my Kowa for the comparison and send it to you if you need one to compare. I just need it back before I start scouting this summer. I have the straight 554.

Anybody know the hinged eye piece cover he is using in that review? Also a tripod attachment for the ATC?
The hinged eye piece is the Magview phone adaptor. Also, not sure if you're sign what the tripod adaptor was in the review ore if you're looking for a recommendation, but... the one in the review is the Outdoorsman's standard adaptor. If you're looking for a recommendation and want Arca Swiss and the ability to rotate the ATC about the objective axis, you might try this one.