Swarovski ATC vs. ATS vs. Kowa 553…Updated 4/26/23!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Who you got?

787995d08a8ef29a0fb9ecb5f955d91e.jpg

By popular demand, this will be a performance and feature comparison.

Swarovski ATC Compact Spotting Scope Review

Post questions on this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for something light weight. I look forward to your review

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t have any experience with the other two but I picked up an ATS 65 and man that’s the nicest glass I’ve ever looked through, hard to imagine anything in that size/price range taking it down

svivian

WKR
Curious because I’ve seen this asked a few times did they have something change over the years with the Ats lineup?
The guys from S&S archery mentioned it when they did their comparison review. I was curious as well if this seems to be a consistent observation.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Curious because I’ve seen this asked a few times did they have something change over the years with the Ats lineup?

I asked this question to Swarovski directly. The answer was that the ATS has remained unchanged in design and coating technology since the last major design.

They have upgraded manufacturing equipment that increased precision and consistency in manufacturing.

Theoretically, this could increase performance, but to what degree or if it could even be observable is unknown.

They also said they get this question a lot since the S&S review.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the 50x eyepiece?

If so, really looking forward to this.

It’s the 20-60.

If someone wants to send the WA zoom I would be glad to use it too.

Having compared these two eyepieces side by side more than once before, FOV at similar magnifications is the major difference. As you would expect, you can resolve more detail at 60x vs. 50x though.

The exit pupil gets pretty tiny at 60x with the 65mm.

Be nice to include the age and condition of the spotting scopes. Please also include the process in place for cleaning the lenses prior to use.

Would not be quite fair to compare a brand new one against one that has been rode hard and put to bed wet for years without mentioning it.

Would not be quite fair to have one with clean from the factory lenses and one that has dust-covered lenses.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Be nice to include the age and condition of the spotting scopes. Please also include the process in place for cleaning the lenses prior to use.

Would not be quite fair to compare a brand new one against one that has been rode hard and put to bed wet for years without mentioning it.

Would not be quite fair to have one with clean from the factory lenses and one that has dust-covered lenses.
I will see what I can do on age.

As far as condition, I have evaluated these scopes for any obvious optical problems that indicate a manufacturing defect or damage and they have none. These three scopes are in good working order and appear to be good representative samples.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to control for sample variation, so take what you are want from my results. I hope you find them useful.

All lenses are meticulously cleaned with all cleaning residue removed with isopropyl alcohol. They will be factory-clean.

Kowa is 3 years old, lenses pristine, cleaned with compressed air, brush, then zeiss wipes (if that’s the one I sent Ryan)