Swaro Z5 or NF SHV

ams

WKR
I know these questions come up alot, but I'm going to ask anyway! Looking for some new glass for a Tikka 7mm RM. This rifle will be for hunting 400-800 yards and longer at the range. Going between the Z5 3.5-18x44 BRH, or the SHV 4-14x50 FFP. The swaro is about a pound lighter but not a huge deal for me. I like the idea of FFP but when it comes down to it which would be faster, clearer, and better for hunting?

Bughalli

WKR
I would go Swaro. Most would say better glass, but I couldn't tell the difference. I like the extra magnification of the Swaro for longer range. Lighter weight, which does add up means something to me. Difference in objective size and light gathering ability is marginal. I looked at FFP scopes and didn't care for them. Everything I read for hunting situations pointed towards SFP. I might recommend getting the ballistic turret version. The turret that comes with it is so so, but the custom ones, even if you only did standard MOA, are really nice.

I would look at a few other choices I had a z5 5-25 ballistic turret and wasn't impressed I wanted to love it but just couldn't . first off the glass is beautiful and a step up from anything I had previously had .and that's about where it ends there is very little left and right adjustment something like a total of 12.5 inches @100 so it will have to be perfectly mounted or you will have problems getting zero . another thing I wasn't crazy about was the plastic windage and elevation dials .the clicks are pretty soft as well . this was the second attempt for me trying to like this optic enough to use on my mountain rig . not trying to beat the scope up but it is a pricey scope , like I said the image is very nice I personally just couldn't get past the other negs

OP
A

ams

WKR
I'm looking at zeiss duralyt, and the newer dl's as well. I have used conquests in the past and never felt I was lacking but thought I would look at the NF and Swaro offerings for a bit more money.

I would like to tryout a Swarovski x5 from everything I see it is very well thought out and I'm sure the glass is tops , the x5 is a completely different animal compared to the z5, unfortunately it also costs about double

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Really not a fan of any of the Swarovski riflescopes except the X5. The X5 is the perfect LR scope IMO. Relatively light weight. Every feature you need and the best glass you can buy.

Out of the two above I would pick the SHV over the Z5.