NF NXS vs SHV vs Maven RS1.2

satchamo

WKR
I’m looking to outfit my 7 PRC Tikka build for elk.

I’ve down to the 3 scopes below:

Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50
Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42
Maven Rs1.2

The reliability of nightforce overall has me swayed that way but I can’t ignore the drop test and reviews on the RS1.2.

Between these 3 - which would you choose for backcountry rifle - considering reticle, FFP vs SFP, brand vs brand, weight, etc.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
The one in the middle. The other choices are physically too big for a backcountry rig. Just my opinion.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think you will have a problem with any of the three scopes mentioned. If weight is your main concern I would go with the NXS. I have had the RS1.2 for since December and so far I’m really liking it. If you can spare the extra 5oz for FFP and a good mil reticle then I think the RS1.2 would be my pick.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you want FFP, find other ways to save weight (if that’s enough to make you worry) and get the shv. If you want SFP, get the nxs.

Personally, of all the areas to save weight, I don’t think it should be optics and if a scope has what you want, who cares about the weight.

It’s great to cut ounces but a reliable scope with the features you want is pretty valuable.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If SFP is ok, then the NXS. For me it must be FFP.

Out of the scopes you listed, only the Maven is in the running for my next scope, so that is what I would choose. The Maven also comes at a good price.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I’m still really waffling on SFP or FFP. I really don’t foresee myself holding wind or even shooting much beyond 500 at animals - probably practice out to 800 since that’s the limit of my range. Probably should have added this context.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Each scope you listed is more than capable of practicing out to 800 and hunting to 500. At this point maybe just eliminate 1 of 3 and order the other 2. You can always return which ever one you don’t like or keep both and give yourself another excuse to build another rifle since you will have an extra scope lying around.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Each scope you listed is more than capable of practicing out to 800 and hunting to 500. At this point maybe just eliminate 1 of 3 and order the other 2. You can always return which ever one you don’t like or keep both and give yourself another excuse to build another rifle since you will have an extra scope lying around.

I’m really gonna muddy the waters now because now I’m considering the 3-15 NXS….

But I like your thought

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Ordered the maven in mil. The cost + features checked the most boxes for me. Thanks for the input