Swaro EL vs NL Pure

snipe10

FNG
I know this has been talked about before but I finally have the funds to go one way or another. Big advantage I can see from handling both is the Pure's are more comfortable. I'm not going with the range finder in the EL"s so I'm just looking at glass and ergonomics. While you can hold each in a store, that doesn't tell me how either are using them for multiple days in the field. Going to Alaska next year, thoughts?

Mojave

WKR
Pure is higher end stuff.

Pure doesn't have as much eye relief.

I hope they make a 10x50 or 8.5x50 pure. With 20mm of eye relief.

Spoke to Swarovski USA and the guy acted like I was an idiot for wanting that.

I guess I am the only over 40 year old that is near sighted and has to wear glasses.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve worn glasses since I was 10 years old, I don’t find the NLs lacking in eye relief. I tried one of those new “magnet” digiscope setups everyone is raving about and could get it off my spotter fast enough due to limiting my eye relief.

I bought the NLs not expecting much of an improvement in the field over my ELs. I was wrong. They are definitely a step above.

I’d go NL every time if price was not an issue.

OP
S

snipe10

FNG
101418_1007419_440412_440226.gif

I’ve worn glasses since I was 10 years old, I don’t find the NLs lacking in eye relief. I tried one of those new “magnet” digiscope setups everyone is raving about and could get it off my spotter fast enough due to limiting my eye relief.

I bought the NLs not expecting much of an improvement in the field over my ELs. I was wrong. They are definitely a step above.

I’d go NL every time if price was not an issue.
Thanks Steve, I think so too but like I said, would love to have them for a whole weekend at minimum

atmat

WKR
I have a set of ELs. The Pure’s are nicer though, from a glass, ergo, and FOV standpoint.

I’m pretty generous on my budget but still chose ELs over the NLs because although nicer, I don’t think they’re THAT much nicer. But if money is not a factor, go NLs!

NLs are ELs with different ergos and larger field of view with slightly softer edges to reduce “globe effect” when glassing, which doesn’t bother me. Glare slightly worse on NLs, which just requires better eye placement. ER was less on NL but not by much and not a factor for me. Comparing both I decided to go with ELs but cost was a factor. With unlimited funds I would have chose NLs but FOV to a certain extent is not everything to me. I also liked ergos on ELs better. Your not going to be disappointed either way. Also, try the headrest on NLs which to some helps a lot.

Mojave

WKR
The only ones I care about are the 8x42 versus 8.5x42 comparison. The 8.5x42 EL has way more eye relief.

I am super near sighted 20-450 in each eye. I need that big eye relief number.

I have had my ELs for many years and I love them. But if didnt have these Els and money was not an object ? I would go with the pures.

The rolling ball effect does not affect me on the ELs and I love the FOV on the EL 8.5s so that would be my choice. That being said I do not have any significant time in the NLs so my results are biased.