Supressor Modification : Boring out a Can.

Loo.wii

WKR
Im considering having one of my cans drilled out to .338, the can in question would be a Nomad L. Anyone care to share their experiences doing this? Was the utility of the can degraded at all? Did you do it yourself or are there vendors that provide this service? If im not mistaken there is no extra paperwork on the ATF side. My inclination to do this stems from not wanting to spend another 2K on the can that I really want and I have a few other .30 cans already.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
You cannot change the caliber of your suppressor. To do this legally, you would have to do another tax stamp as this would no longer be the same suppressor.

Page 176---word search "change the diameter" will bring you right to it.

Ive still thought about it. I don't want to buy another Ultra 7 (mine is 6.5 cal).

My only concern with drill bits and Titanium machining is that I'd ruin the concentricity

Last edited:
Ecco machine. Not sure on the legality for it though. I would assume many 30 cal cans could already fit a 338 bullet but it would be a tight fit.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
You cannot change the caliber of your suppressor. To do this legally, you would have to do another tax stamp as this would no longer be the same suppressor.

Ive still thought about it. I don't want to buy another Ultra 7 (mine is 6.5 cal).

My only concern with drill bits and Titanium machining is that I'd ruin the concentricity
every other thread is contradictory.

Pita
I should be able to modify my own property

TxLite

WKR
As a note- I think you’d have to form 1 since you’re manufacturing instead of transferring this time

Matt5266

WKR
Another thing to think about is if the surpressor was made to handle those higher pressures. It would suck to blow a part a can cuz the manufacturer certainly wont do a thing to help if its modified.

I don’t believe there is an actual “spec” for a .30 cal suppressor from .gov.

When I built a Form 1 suppressor the main thing I came across on the bore size was it’s fine to be bigger than the list caliber. But not smaller.

I do think it would change how well the suppressor worked since the clips would be smaller relative to the bore size.

ECCO could recore it legally. Not sure it would be worth the cost though.

feanor

WKR
Yeah Ecco seems like they do that work and specialize in recore. Give them a call. Fairly local to you as well. Worth the drive.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I edited my post up top and linked the NFA handbook. Changing caliber is a taxable event.
It is a worthwhile to do (in my opinion) if it saves you buying a can.

Wire EDM ($$$) or a good lathe and a long SHARP drill bit should do it. Like I said, I'm too chicken to jump into machining titanium. Would hate for the drill bit to wander and wallow an oblong hole in my beautiful TBAC. If OP does follow through with this, please share :)

As a note- I think you’d have to form 1 since you’re manufacturing instead of transferring this time
99% certain that you are right on that

Wapiti1

WKR
It would not be drilled. It would be reamed with progressively larger reamers to maintain both straightness and alignment. Good reamers don't wander. Probably 2 passes and it would be done.

Twist drills are a no-go for any deep hole that needs to be concentric, properly sized and straight.

I would talk to the can maker and make sure the baffles have enough meat.

Legality, no idea.

Jeremy

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
It would not be drilled. It would be reamed with progressively larger reamers to maintain both straightness and alignment. Good reamers don't wander. Probably 2 passes and it would be done.
I always assumed acquiring reamers for this would be costly enough that you are better off just buying a new suppressor.

My can would need about 50 thousandths opened up, do you really think 2 reamers would do it? Genuinely curious.

robtattoo

WKR
I always assumed acquiring reamers for this would be costly enough that you are better off just buying a new suppressor.

My can would need about 50 thousandths opened up, do you really think 2 reamers would do it? Genuinely curious.
Just use 1 adjustable reamer that covers the minimum & maximum diameters you require.

Wapiti1

WKR

For the OP going .30 to .338, 2 would be fine. For 7mm to .338, maybe 3 and open up about 0.015" at a pass. To be safe, add a reamer and cut 0.010" at a pass.

For a one off job, HSS reamers would work just fine on a Ti suppressor. Lots of oil, slow feed, frequent cleaning. Depending on suppressor length, might need and extension on the reamer, or ream from both ends. Figure $25 per reamer for HSS.

If you were reaming a solid hole, it would be a different story.

Jeremy

Sadler

WKR
I asked TBAC last year to change the caliber on my can and they said it wasn’t legal. Gives me an excuse to buy another can.

Last edited: