Suppressor wrap

crich

WKR
@Marbles

Two DIY wraps done. Even with the silicone tape on one, they were under really light. One can is two wraps of the carbon felt with vet wrap and some Tessa Tape and weighs .9oz. The second can still has the original silicone wrap, plus two layers of the felt and came in at 1.2oz. Total cost is $20 for the felt (you can do 9 cans double wrapped), $10 for vet wrap, and $7 for silicone wrap, which is probably optional.

View attachment 722355View attachment 722356
View attachment 722357
View attachment 722358
I was told years ago to never double wrap 🤔

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@Marbles

Two DIY wraps done. Even with the silicone tape on one, they were under really light. One can is two wraps of the carbon felt with vet wrap and some Tessa Tape and weighs .9oz. The second can still has the original silicone wrap, plus two layers of the felt and came in at 1.2oz. Total cost is $20 for the felt (you can do 9 cans double wrapped), $10 for vet wrap, and $7 for silicone wrap, which is probably optional.

View attachment 722355View attachment 722356
View attachment 722357
View attachment 722358
Nice.

I busted through some alder's with mine the past few days, no issues with snagging the wrap or with it moving.

brazz04

FNG
This thread is so confusing, are you leaving silencers wrapped all the time? If so is there a reason for doing this? Also did you really buy 2 scythes totaling $2800+ after tax stamps then cover them with 20 dollars worth of random wraps? So confused.

brazz04

FNG
I mean yes, of course. Any wrap in a hunting scenario if going to get caught on more crap than bare metal ever would. The biggest downside is obviously that it looks like dog shit. It's also going to hold a lot more heat now with no easy way to remove it and let the silencer cool causing even more mirage issues when you're at the range.

Geewhiz

WKR
I mean yes, of course. Any wrap in a hunting scenario if going to get caught on more crap than bare metal ever would. The biggest downside is obviously that it looks like dog shit. It's also going to hold a lot more heat now with no easy way to remove it and let the silencer cool causing even more mirage issues when you're at the range.
If you think having a wrap on a can causes more mirage than an unwrapped can then you're confused.

brazz04

FNG
If it never is allowed to cool, yes it can be an issue. I'm well aware that the wrap controls that, but if you're shooting a decent amount and the can is holding heat, there is a tipping point where mirage will once again be a factor, yes.

Geewhiz

WKR
If it never is allowed to cool, yes it can be an issue. I'm well aware that the wrap controls that, but if you're shooting a decent amount and the can is holding heat, there is a tipping point where mirage will once again be a factor, yes.
You're not making sense.

Still, no downside. If you're shooting enough rounds to get mirage from a wrapped can you would see far more mirage and in fewer shots if you didn't have one.

brazz04

FNG
The downside is not being able to allow it to cool. Also it looks like a toddler wrapped his toy in electrical tape. If Id rather not need to sit around for an hour to let things cool before I put a rifle back in its case. No need for my suppressor and boot leg wrap to hold so much heat that it's going to melt the case I'm putting it away in.

Geewhiz

WKR
The downside is not being able to allow it to cool. Also it looks like a toddler wrapped his toy in electrical tape. If Id rather not need to sit around for an hour to let things cool before I put a rifle back in its case. No need for my suppressor and boot leg wrap to hold so much heat that it's going to melt the case I'm putting it away in.
Some people don't care how they look, its a tool used for function, not a fashion statement.

Antares

WKR
The problem is that you haven't tried it, so you don't really know what you're talking about. Your aesthetic preferences are valid, but don't try to manufacturer technical issues to justify them. If you want for big, poofy, $100 wraps covered with bungies and velcro... you're in luck, the market is flooded with them.

Last edited:

brazz04

FNG
I have multiple suppressor covers, so I do actually have experience, sorry to burst your bubble. Vet wrap absolutely will catch burrs while walking through the woods. Just because it hasn't happened to someone doesn't mean it won't happen. The issue of letting the suppressor cool is very real, it happens every time I go to the range and is easily fixed by slipping the cover off to let it cool. It's not some made up technical problem. You're allowed to be in denial, I won't be.

Antares

WKR
I have multiple suppressor covers, so I do actually have experience, sorry to burst your bubble. Vet wrap absolutely will catch burrs while walking through the woods. Just because it hasn't happened to someone doesn't mean it won't happen. The issue of letting the suppressor cool is very real, it happens every time I go to the range and is easily fixed by slipping the cover off to let it cool. It's not some made up technical problem. You're allowed to be in denial, I won't be.

I apologize. Your comments made it sound like you had not wrapped a can in silicone tape. Have you?

brazz04

FNG
Good lord dude, no I have not because why would I? I've explained to you over an over in this thread, a huge benefit of a cover is REMOVING it to let it cool. So why would I wrap a can in something NOT REMOVABLE.

Antares

WKR
My friend, this is a discussion not a fight. My point is that you are offering an opinion on something you have no experience with, therefore your opinion carries less weight with me.

I don’t care if you try it or not, but don’t tell me it doesn’t work when I’ve tried it and you haven’t. That is all.

TheCougar

WKR
I give absolutely zero craps about how my gear looks, only about performance. I run around with a blood stained backpack, mismatched camo, a beat up pinstriped truck, and a bow covered in princess stickers from my girls.

why would I go out and buy a two super light titanium hunting cans that weight 8oz, then throw 4oz cover on it? Just so I can remove it? And then pay close to $100 each? You are right, I did give up the ability to remove it easily (on the silicone wrap one) although the other can be pushed back with some effort. I made a ugly ass functional suppressor cover for less than 1/4 the weight and 1/10 the cost of what the cool kids use, and I’m willing to bet it won’t stop me one bit from killing critters. Seems like a pretty good trade off, considering my priorities.

Antares

WKR
Anyway, for folks that are interested in exploring this concept, here’s a CGS Hyperion with a single layer of silicon tape, covered with a single layer of vet wrap (and another piece of silicone tape at the muzzle to hold down the tail of the vet wrap).

It’s been doing a good job of controlling mirage and I’m impressed with how much heat it’s handled without showing any signs of burning/melting.

IMG_2548.jpeg

TheCougar

WKR
Anyway, for folks that are interested in exploring this concept, here’s a CGS Hyperion with a single layer of silicon tape, covered with a single layer of vet wrap (and another piece of silicone tape at the muzzle to hold down the tail of the vet wrap).

It’s been doing a good job of controlling mirage and I’m impressed with how much heat it’s handled without showing any signs of burning/melting.

View attachment 723564
How much are you shooting with that? That was my version 1, and I got about 30 rounds down range and the mirage made me stop. That’s why I went the carbon felt route. I haven’t tried that yet. Hopefully I’ll get to this weekend. It’s way more svelt than the fatty version with the felt, and I would prefer it. I may revert to a can like that for hunting rather than range use, since the weight is similar an I don’t think there would be a POI shift.