Suppressor wait times

Ralphie

WKR
SS eform trust
9-5-23
2-15-24 emailed nics fbi
2-16-24 nics response. Resolved and submitted to atf
2-20-24 called atf was on hold for 15 ish minutes. Guy was friendly but unhelpful other than yes we have your app.
2-21-24 my congress rep sent an inquiry
2-22-24 atf responds to rep yes we have the app yes nics said proceed but here’s the average wait times, wait times vary for lots of reasons. Basically nothing helpful
2-28-24 approved

Last edited:

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
So all these quick approvals are all individual? If so that sucks because I have 2 I’m waiting on in single shot trusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbraun

FNG
I’d assume a trust is more work to review?
I don't think the ATF is reviewing the trust language. Only checking that the settlor/trustee is the same person(s) as the stamp application. I know this at a minimum, because last year SC screwed up a trust for me and submitted with prior trust co-trustees included. As expected, the ATF kicked it out. You'd think with all the bragging silencer central does that the trusts would be as fast as an individual.

mtbraun

FNG
I regret not doing an individual.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I think it depends. You lose a lot of flexibility on an individual app. If you have no intention of passing it down to a child or friend when you die, or want others to be able to use it, then by all means individual is the way to go.

Bluefish

WKR
I think it depends. You lose a lot of flexibility on an individual app. If you have no intention of passing it down to a child or friend when you die, or want others to be able to use it, then by all means individual is the way to go.
Imho the biggest issue with an individual is that no one in your household can have access to your nfa items. Means you need a different lockbox or safe That only you have the combo or key.

even as an individual you can pass it along upon passing. The receiver will just have to do a transfer fee. It’s just easier and cheaper with a trust. No transfer fee and they can take possession right away If already on the trust.

mtbraun

FNG
even as an individual you can pass it along upon passing. The receiver will just have to do a transfer fee. It’s just easier and cheaper with a trust. No transfer fee and they can take possession right away If already on the trust.
Correct, but if it's not specifically willed, I think the suppressor dies with you. I could be wrong there though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Curious if anyone ever been investigated or prosecuted for this?
Hard to say, I tend to think lots of people get tangled up with three letter agencies for things they think are small and they can get away with. A guy I used to work with a few years ago used to think that he could just buy all sorts of non registered silencer things off facebook and get away with it. Apparently he got caught with them. I think there is some sort of tracking going on.

A year or 2 ago I was walking my dogs and a guy showed up ona snow machine asking if id seen any ptarmigans, I told him were some were in a willow patch. The guy says "cool, Ive got a silencer I so maybe I can get a few". That kicked off a conversation when I asked him what type he had, he told me it was an oil filter hed gotten online and drilled out.

I was like.....bro, get the F away from me with that.

1moaway

FNG
It's seeming like all the quick approvals are individual. I'm settling in for the long wait with my 2 in jail on trust.
You and me both. I still think a trust is the way to go in the long term but damn if it annoying to see lighting fast approvals for the other side of the coin. My last 2 took 7 months a piece, both on a trust, which wasn't too terrible I thought..

Geewhiz

WKR
You and me both. I still think a trust is the way to go in the long term but damn if it annoying to see lighting fast approvals for the other side of the coin. My last 2 took 7 months a piece, both on a trust, which wasn't too terrible I thought..
Jeez it would almost be worth just buying it on an individual form 4 to get it in your hands and then pay 200 later to have it transferred to a trust.

Bluefish

WKR
Curious if anyone ever been investigated or prosecuted for this?
Probably not as a primary offense, but could easily be an add on. I would see it going like this “Leo is in your house and knows you have a nfa item. Asks who can open your safe. When you say anyone but you, then they could prosecute if they choose to.

1moaway

FNG
Jeez it would almost be worth just buying it on an individual form 4 to get it in your hands and then pay 200 later to have it transferred to a trust.
Have honestly been considering this.. Wonder what that process looks like if you are trying to move multiple in to a trust.