Support for 6.8 western?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've had to take second shots on deer and elk at close range because the eldx decided to self destruct on impact rather than penetrate and destroy vitals. I'm not the only person who has had this experience

Oh the magical “didn’t penetrate”. Do you have pictures of there 2” deep wound created by ELD-X’s?

The TA I recovered from my 400yd shot created more than adequate entry and exit wounds.

400 yards is not long range.

The goal isn't to wreck as much meat as possible. The goal is to create adequate damage to drop the animal quickly, no more no less.

Now I’m sure that you’ve killed more animals with TA’s that have- as I only used them for two seasons from 6.5cm and 300WM between 20 and 676 yards on deer and elk. However, time to incapacitation and distance traveled after both lungs were penetrated is substantially longer than other bullets.

Not sure how that's erroneous, but you can keep crying. I'm gonna stick with what works for me.

The erroneous portion is saying that ELD-X’s are failing to penetrate a whopping 3 inches of tissue.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Oh the magical “didn’t penetrate”. Do you have pictures of there 2” deep wound created by ELD-X’s?

400 yards is not long range.

Now I’m sure that you’ve killed more animals with TA’s that have- as I only used them for two seasons from 6.5cm and 300WM between 20 and 676 yards on deer and elk. However, time to incapacitation and distance traveled after both lungs were penetrated is substantially longer than other bullets.

The erroneous portion is saying that ELD-X’s are failing to penetrate a whopping 3 inches of tissue.
See previous comments. Never said 400yds was long range

It's OK, breathe. I get that your ego is tied to the bullet you use, but it's ok that other people have different experiences than you and choose a different bullet than you.

You're gonna be ok.

Grundy53

WKR
See previous comments. Never said 400yds was long range

It's OK, breathe. I get that your ego is tied to the bullet you use, but it's ok that other people have different experiences than you and choose a different bullet than you.

You're gonna be ok.
Did you not read? He's used TA's for the last 2 years. Clearly his ego isn't tied to the ELDX. He recommends multiple different bullets.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Did you not read? He's used TA's for the last 2 years. Clearly his ego isn't tied to the ELDX. He recommends multiple different bullets.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Clearly it is if he's that triggered by people saying they've had bad experience with the bullet. Just because he's used other things doesn't mean he doesn't have certain biases.

Anywho, I'm going to disengage from this conversation. Because nows it's just deteriorating into "my bullet is better than your bullet".

Again, people are allowed to like what they want and not everyone is going to have the same experience you do, good or bad. It's ok.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any pics to confirm this eldx "self destruct at impact without destroying vitals"?

Lots of talk about this but much like sasquatch i have not seen either.
Yeah I have not taken pictures of my destroyed meat.. at the time I never guessed I'd need them as proof in an argument with some internet warrior.
-Why would I lie to you about something so ridiculous 🙄

-what would i gain from fabricating such a story?

-Hornady has many other great products I just don't think the Eldx is one of them and I don't say that from nothing.. I literally have had bad results with them.

gerry35

WKR
Does anyone want to correct this before someone else believes this?
Ah yes the wrong think, can't have anything that goes outside of what a few people think. Only certain bullets (or scopes, rifles etc) are acceptable and only certain people are to believed. I'm not even speaking about the ELD bullets just the hero worship around here.

I thought this was a 6.8 Western thread.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Ah yes the wrong think, can't have anything that goes outside of what a few people think. Only certain bullets (or scopes, rifles etc) are acceptable and only certain people are to believed. I'm not even speaking about the ELD bullets just the hero worship around here.

It isn’t “wrong think”- it’s verifiable, fact based, demonstrable reality; versus myth, lore, and objectively false information.

It’s literally the exact opposite of what you are saying and implying. Fact based, demonstrable reality. Legit terminal ballistics is not a secret anymore, and there is no need for the silly non sense. The myth that a “shoulder” stops any game bullet whatsoever is demonstrably untrue and the moment someone understands what bullets actually do in tissue, and then stops and looks at a “shoulder” it becomes clear why. Then, they can stop making excuses for misses and poor shooting and actually find what is causing issues; or they understand how animals die and realize animals don’t just fall over when shot.

It isn’t “I like a bullet” or “I don’t like a bullet”- it’s stop passing off gun store nonsense. Use reason and logic. Start looking at things and experiences critically so that we aren’t buying into BS fed us. No one benefits from incorrect information- except the marketers and gunwriters.

As for Terminal Ascents, I’ll bet if you did a search you’d find that I was one of the first people on this board, if not the first, to actually kill animals with them- along with actual testing. You’ll also find that I have pointed out that for someone that wants high weight retention in their bullets, the TA is probably the best bullet on the market. It is an excellent high weight retention, deep penetrating bullet. However, it is not the “best” long range bullet, nor does it being a very good, deep penetrating bullet mean that ELD-X’s “blow up” on the surface and fail to penetrate to the vitals.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
As fyi, oLatest Backcounty hunting podcast on elk cartridges has some nice things to say about 6.8W. It may cause the 223/eld crowd to burst a blood vessel;). Also the Patreon has a nice blog on 6.8W in Africa.

Lou

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
It isn’t “wrong think”- it’s verifiable, fact based, demonstrable reality; versus myth, lore, and objectively false information.

It’s literally the exact opposite of what you are saying and implying. Fact based, demonstrable reality. Legit terminal ballistics is not a secret anymore, and there is no need for the silly non sense. The myth that a “shoulder” stops any game bullet whatsoever is demonstrably untrue and the moment someone understands what bullets actually do in tissue, and then stops and looks at a “shoulder” it becomes clear why. Then, they can stop making excuses for misses and poor shooting and actually find what is causing issues; or they understand how animals die and realize animals don’t just fall over when shot.

It isn’t “I like a bullet” or “I don’t like a bullet”- it’s stop passing off gun store nonsense. Use reason and logic. Start looking at things and experiences critically so that we aren’t buying into BS fed us. No one benefits from incorrect information- except the marketers and gunwriters.

As for Terminal Ascents, I’ll bet if you did a search you’d find that I was one of the first people on this board, if not the first, to actually kill animals with them- along with actual testing. You’ll also find that I have pointed out that for someone that wants high weight retention in their bullets, the TA is probably the best bullet on the market. It is an excellent high weight retention, deep penetrating bullet. However, it is not the “best” long range bullet, nor does it being a very good, deep penetrating bullet mean that ELD-X’s “blow up” on the surface and fail to penetrate to the vitals.
I'm very impressed that you've been present for every hunt in the history of the country to verify how everyone's bullets did or didn't behave when it struck an animal 😂😂😂

I'm sure some pieces of the bullet penetrated the vitals, but I don't want pieces, I want the majority of the projectile to get there.

What a joke

Mjay6k

FNG

It does seem odd that individuals with unlikely stories about the XYZ bullet taking six shots and not penetrating the shoulder, etc., don’t ever seem to have any pictures to prove it. I understand that not everyone takes pictures, but many images of other wound channels are here. Why do these mysterious failures have no hard evidence to back them up? Just Joe's mothers grandfathers nephew, who were hunting in the same unit as me, had a complete and utter failure to penatrate something that a 22 wmr would.

Edit: I’d like to add that regardless of what bullet you use, the failures these anecdotes speak of are ones I've never seen proof of with quality bullets, regardless of make, in gel, or animals.

Bullets can and do funny things upon impact, no doubt. There is however, a lot of ballistic data showing what bullets do after penetrating Sheetrock, plywood, metal paneling, etc. Draw your own conclusions.

I am a firm believer in that many instances of “bullet failure” was actually very poor shot placement. The “boiler room” is not where a lot of folks actually aim for.

Last edited:

Mjay6k

FNG
Gotta love morons who have to gaslight to make an argument. No one said 6 shots. We said two shots.

I didn't realize that everytime someone had less than satisfactory results with a bullet that they had to snap a photo and submit it here for the circle jerk communes approval and verification.

Unless you've personally witnessed every ELDx that's taken an animal, your thoughts amount to about jack shit. I'm glad you have good results with the bullet. I have too, I've also had some wtf experiences with it that made me want to use other stuff. For some reason you and your butt buddies are extremely hurt by this fact 😂😂😂

Get over yourselves. 😂😂
Whew, that went over your head. I actually wasn't referring directly to your specific example, but rather the other similar stories I hear (from individuals who will tell you stuff like 338 WM is necessary for whitetail) that closely mirror yours albeit more exaggerated. It seems like every fudd has a similar BS story to tell about some bullet. Notice how I said “xyz” bullet? Not the eldx in your specific case? Yeah, that's because I was referring to these anecdotes in general. Reading comprehension is valuable.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Whew, that went over your head. I actually wasn't referring directly to your specific example, but rather the other similar stories I hear (from individuals who think 338 WM is necessary for whitetail) that closely mirror yours albeit more exaggerated. It seems like every fudd has a similar BS story to tell about some bullet. Notice how I said “xyz” bullet? Not the eldx in your specific case? Yeah, that's because I was referring to these anecdotes in general. Reading comprehension is valuable.

Whew, that went over your head. I actually wasn't referring directly to your specific example, but rather the other similar stories I hear (from individuals who think 338 WM is necessary for whitetail) that closely mirror yours albeit more exaggerated. It seems like every fudd has a similar BS story to tell about some bullet. Notice how I said “xyz” bullet? Not the eldx in your specific case? Yeah, that's because I was referring to these anecdotes in general. Reading comprehension is valuable.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. I'm sure your comment had nothing to do with the specific context of where this thread has gone 😂

Mjay6k

FNG
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. I'm sure your comment had nothing to do with the specific context of where this thread has gone 😂
I don’t remember saying it had nothing to do with it… I said I wasn’t “directly” referring to your situation but the hundreds others I’ve heard like it from fudds at the gun shops that closely mirror yours . Yet no one has ever had any evidence whatsoever. Try to actually read the paragraph this time.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t remember saying it had nothing to do with it… I said I wasn’t “directly” referring to your situation but the hundreds others I’ve heard like it from fudds at the gun shops that closely mirror yours . Yet no one has ever had any evidence whatsoever. Try to actually read the paragraph this time.
So you're gaslighting hypothetical comments that supposedly took place somewhere else by other people. Alrighty then. I'm sure you've heard "hundreds" of stories where guys said they needed 6 shots or a .338 to take down a deer. And you say we're making shit up 😂

Mjay6k

FNG
So you're gaslighting hypothetical comments that supposedly took place somewhere else by other people. Alrighty then. I'm sure you've heard "hundreds" of stories where guys said they needed 6 shots or a .338 to take down a deer. And you say we're making shit up 😂
Do you understand what gaslighting means, or are you trying to be “hip” and disguise your fuddery? Yep, I worked at a gun store for four years when I was younger. The difference is that what you’re saying is unreasonable with no evidence, which makes it unbelievable. Saying that I’ve heard hundreds of hunters exaggerate and BS at a gun shop is not an unreasonable statement that defies physics. The fact that you can’t tell the difference is unsurprising, however.

I’m sure you didn’t understand half of what you read again, bless your heart.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Do you understand what gaslighting means, or are you trying to be “hip” and disguise your fuddery? Yep, I worked at a gun store for four years when I was younger. The difference is that what you’re saying is unreasonable with no evidence, which makes it unbelievable. Saying that I’ve heard hundreds of hunters exaggerate and BS at a gun shop is not an unreasonable statement that defies physics. The fact that you can’t tell the difference is unsurprising, however.

I’m sure you didn’t understand half of what you read again, bless your heart.
Can you provide video and audio recordings of these conversations? Because I'm sorry, if you can't then I must simply just dismiss them as "fuddlore"

Again, your whole argument is that a handful of guys decided to say they haven't had a 100% positive experience with a round for the hell of it, and your rationale for this is that they didn't feel a personal responsibility to take a photo and come running to you so you could witness/verify it.

It defies physics for a bullet made out of relatively soft metals traveling half a mile a second to possibly break apart when it impacts something? Which specific law/aspect of physics does that defy exactly? Bless your heart indeed (and your tiny mind) 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Mjay6k

FNG
Can you provide video and audio recordings of these conversations? Because I'm sorry, if you can't then I must simply just dismiss them as "fuddlore"

Again, your whole argument is that a handful of guys decided to say they haven't had a 100% positive experience with a round for the hell of it, and your rationale for this is that they didn't feel a personal responsibility to take a photo and come running to you so you could witness/verify it.

It defies physics for a bullet made out of relatively soft metals traveling half a mile a second to possibly break apart when it impacts something? Which specific law/aspect of physics does that defy exactly? Bless your heart indeed (and your tiny mind) 😂😂😂
If you can’t see the physical issue with the same bullet having no issue penetrating 15-20 inches (multiple ballistics gel tests on YouTube and 100s of photos here on rockslide) magically evaporating upon impact with 4 inches of meat and a thin scapula twice in a row (with no evidence) then there is absolutely zero point in arguing with you.
Ignorance is bliss, have a good weekend.