Support for 6.8 western?

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a good article that relates to what we are discussing.
ELD-X = cheasy bullet 😂
all jokes aside i dont like the fact that it is t designed for good penetration like on a quartering away shot.

I haven't been impressed with the ELDx. Love my terminal ascents though

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been impressed with the ELDx. Love my terminal ascents though
I likewise have gotten on the terminal ascent train. I would venture to say it's one of the best long range hunting bullets ever created all things considered.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
I likewise have gotten on the terminal ascent train. I would venture to say it's one of the beat long range hunting bullets ever created all things considered.
I haven't taken anything with the TA over 420yds, so I can't speak to long range performance. But it does fantastic at close and intermediate range distances

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't taken anything with the TA over 420yds, so I can't speak to long range performance. But it does fantastic at close and intermediate range distances
Yeah it might even be one of the best bullets for all around performance too.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I likewise have gotten on the terminal ascent train. I would venture to say it's one of the best long range hunting bullets ever created all things considered.

What is the terminal performance you have seen with Terminal Ascents at long range?

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
What is the terminal performance you have seen with Terminal Ascents at long range?
In person? None, I haven't yet taken large game with a terminal ascent only punched paper. I'm excited to see if what I've been researching is true.
I do however have experience with ELD-X in 300 wm.. it's like a frag grenade.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
In person? None, I haven't yet taken large game with a terminal ascent only punched paper. I'm excited to see if what I've been researching is true.

What’s true is that TA’s create pistol caliber sized wounds (like most monos) below 2,100’ish fps impact. They are hardly “one of the best long range bullets ever created”.

I do however have experience with ELD-X in 300 wm.. it's like a frag grenade.

As it’s supposed to be. Animals die from blood loss and/or suffocation The more tissue destroyed, the faster things die all else being equal.

The last thing a long range hunting bullet should be is something that creates a very narrow wound channel.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
What’s true is that TA’s create pistol caliber sized wounds (like most monos) below 2,100’ish fps impact. They are hardly “one of the best long range bullets ever created”.

As it’s supposed to be. Animals die from blood loss and/or suffocation The more tissue destroyed, the faster things die all else being equal.

The last thing a long range hunting bullet should be is something that creates a very narrow wound channel.
Fragging doesn't do any good if the bullet doesn't penetrate deep enough to damage vital organs before doing so. I'd rather have a a bullet pass through both lungs and heart than explode because it hits a shoulder or rib at short range.

I've had nothing but excellent expansion from the TA so far. Is it the perfect bullet? Such a thing probably doesn't exist. But I've found the TA to be much more reliable in putting game down quickly.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Fragging doesn't do any good if the bullet doesn't penetrate deep enough to damage vital organs before doing so. I'd rather have a a bullet pass through both lungs and heart than explode because it hits a shoulder or rib at short range.

Do you actually believe that there is a single big game bullet that “blows up” and doesn’t exit a squirrel and a piece of cardboard- because that’s what an elk “shoulder” is. It’s sub 4 inches of meat and scapula that is as thick as a standard piece of cardboard.

A bull elk scapula with all meat still on-
IMG_9953.jpeg

I've had nothing but excellent expansion from the TA so far. Is it the perfect bullet? Such a thing probably doesn't exist. But I've found the TA to be much more reliable in putting game down quickly.

I have killed quite a few animals at sub 2,100fps impact with TA’s and they create narrow wounds. I do not care what you or @wartak use, I do care that both of you are saying erroneous statements as if they were fact.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider

I can show you well documented tests the terminal ascent expands well at and over 1000 yards but doesn't frag upon impact at close ranges unlike the eldx. Bullets do not necessarily kill by fragmentation.. some do but the good ones dont.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
Do you actually believe that there is a single big game bullet that “blows up” and doesn’t exit a squirrel and a piece of cardboard- because that’s what an elk “shoulder” is. It’s sub 4 inches of meat and scapula that is as thick as a standard piece of cardboard.

View attachment 735623

I have killed quite a few animals at sub 2,100fps impact with TA’s and they create narrow wounds. I do not care what you or @wartak use, I do care that both of you are saying erroneous statements as if they were fact.
It is a fact that ELD-X fragments on impact.. I have lost quite a bit of meat because of those stupid bullets.
Now over say 400 yards I think ELD-X is a good bullet because it doesn't have enough velocity anymore to fragment..

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 735623

I've had to take second shots on deer and elk at close range because the eldx decided to self destruct on impact rather than penetrate and destroy vitals. I'm not the only person who has had this experience.

The TA I recovered from my 400yd shot created more than adequate entry and exit wounds. The goal isn't to wreck as much meat as possible. The goal is to create adequate damage to drop the animal quickly, no more no less. Not sure how that's erroneous, but you can keep crying. I'm gonna stick with what works for me.

Last edited:

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I recall when Sellier and Beloit first brought non-Match rounds in at 60 cents a piece.
Many old timers said that was high....:cautious:

eoperator

WKR
I've had to take second shots on deer and elk at close range because the eldx decided to self destruct on impact rather than penetrate and destroy vitals. I'm not the only person who has had this experience.
Do you have any pics to confirm this eldx "self destruct at impact without destroying vitals"?

Lots of talk about this but much like sasquatch i have not seen either.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any pics to confirm this eldx "self destruct at impact without destroying vitals"?

Lots of talk about this but much like sasquatch i have not seen either.
Not everyone is attached to their phone. I'm not a 17 year old girl who takes a picture every time I do something.

So you confirmed that you've seen others talk about having the same results as me. If you like the eldx and it works for you great, it's just not for me. I like what my accubonds and TA give me rather than the eldx.