Support for 6.8 western?

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
To think all of my tales of woe started when I put my back pack on a diet because I got too fat.

Tried to make my 300 win mag lighter but then it kicked the livin’ crap out of my shoulder. Solution was to re-barrel to 6.8 Western (magnum bolt-face). Never thought I would be shooting a 175 gr bullet out of a 270 bore.

270 Win stabilized heavy bullets like a spinning top so re-barreled to 284 Win (standard bolt-face). Runs with the 280AI dogs.

The paradigm shift to short action cartridges that shoot long, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets is here to stay!
👆 this

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
This is mostly true, however the part in the articles stating that the 7prc gets a bit more velocity is a total overstatement. Most of the data I have seen the 7prc gets sub 2900 fps with 175 eldx and meanwhile the 6.8 western is getting real-world velocities of 2860ish in 24" barrel with far less powder. I wonder why so few folks these days take into account cartridge efficiency?
I'm currently getting 2925 out of my 22" using Federals eldx load.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure they use a variety of different brass vendors for different cartridges.
Well hopefully they start using ADG brass asap. If Barnes gets on board with factory 6.8 western offerings it's going to be a whole new world out there for 277.
6.8 western is great in that it is everything that the 6.5 prc is and more. The 6.5 prc is marginal for elk and moose whereas the 6.8 western with 170-175s is exceptional for big bodied game. It's a midground cartridge that can do everything the 6.5s do and can also do much of what the 30 Cals can do. It's smack dab in the middle of what 90% of north American game hunters would find as adequate performance for everything from deer and pronghorn to elk and moose. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a black bear or grizz either with the right bullet.

Well hopefully they start using ADG brass asap. If Barnes gets on board with factory 6.8 western offerings it's going to be a whole new world out there for 277.
6.8 western is great in that it is everything that the 6.5 prc is and more. The 6.5 prc is marginal for elk and moose whereas the 6.8 western with 170-175s is exceptional for big bodied game. It's a midground cartridge that can do everything the 6.5s do and can also do much of what the 30 Cals can do. It's smack dab in the middle of what 90% of north American game hunters would find as adequate performance for everything from deer and pronghorn to elk and moose. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a black bear or grizz either with the right bullet.

If a .277 barnes is exceptional, then a good .264 lead bullet is exceptional as well. That's a lot of excitement over 277 when there's already a stable of offerings with 0.007" larger diameter bullets out there at similar bullet weights and BCs. Maybe not in factory loaded SA, i'll give you that.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
If a .277 barnes is exceptional, then a good .264 lead bullet is exceptional as well. That's a lot of excitement over 277 when there's already a stable of offerings with 0.007" larger diameter bullets out there at similar bullet weights and BCs. Maybe not in factory loaded SA, i'll give you that.
Which 264 lead would you be thinking of?

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
130/140/147 ELDm, 143 ELDx, 130 TMK, and more robust options if that's your thing - game changers, terminal ascent, etc.
The game changer and terminal ascent are great bullets.. the ELD lineup from hornady does not impress me. Though none 9f them are heavy enough for elk or moose imho, also coppers usually have higher SD than leads and penetrate better.

The game changer and terminal ascent are great bullets.. the ELD lineup from hornady does not impress me. Though none 9f them are heavy enough for elk or moose imho, also coppers usually have higher SD than leads and penetrate better.
140gn is plenty for moose. A buddies dad has taken 20+ moose with 140gn bullet from a .270. Killed my moose with 140gn partition

copper penetrate deeper but the wound channel is narrow

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
The only true support the 6.8 Western needs is brass. When ADG starts production, it will make a lot of guys very happy.

Bullet selection is still somewhat limited, but I have loaded 170 EOL, 165 ABLR, 145 ELD-X, and 141 HHT and I can't imagine ever needing anything beyond those options.
Copper almost never has higher sectional density than lead bullets.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
The only true support the 6.8 Western needs is brass. When ADG starts production, it will make a lot of guys very happy.

Bullet selection is still somewhat limited, but I have loaded 170 EOL, 165 ABLR, 145 ELD-X, and 141 HHT and I can't imagine ever needing anything beyond those options.

Copper almost never has higher sectional density than lead bullets.
A terminal ascent 165-175g would be an amazing addition.

Eldx might have a higher initial SD but after impact it all dissappears.. I'm sorry but I really tried to get behind the ELD-X and unfortunately I can't recommend it for anything bigger than deer sized game. They seem to loose all semblance of structure upon impact. Whereas a tsx or Lrx seems to hold itself together at any impact velocity.
But yes I agree leadcore can have higher initial sd.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
140gn is plenty for moose. A buddies dad has taken 20+ moose with 140gn bullet from a .270. Killed my moose with 140gn partition

copper penetrate deeper but the wound channel is narrow
Sure but why limit yourself? If I can shoot a heavier bullet I want to.

A terminal ascent 165-175g would be an amazing addition.

Eldx might have a higher initial SD but after impact it all dissappears.. I'm sorry but I really tried to get behind the ELD-X and unfortunately I can't recommend it for anything bigger than deer sized game. They seem to loose all semblance of structure upon impact. Whereas a tsx or Lrx seems to hold itself together at any impact velocity.
But yes I agree leadcore can have higher initial sd.
You're literally describing what a copper bullet and what a eldx bullet is designed to do...

Yes sir! ELD-x is a terrible design 🙂
No, there designed to penetrate that fragment to create a large wound channel. Some people think a bullet blowing up is a bullet failing but its literally doing what its designed to do. Creates a large wound channel in the progress. A copper will retain wait and push deep but the wound channel will stay small since the bullet doesn't disrupt.

wartak

Lil-Rokslider
No, there designed to penetrate that fragment to create a large wound channel. Some people think a bullet blowing up is a bullet failing but its literally doing what its designed to do. Creates a large wound channel in the progress. A copper will retain wait and push deep but the wound channel will stay small since the bullet doesn't disrupt.
Well.. I have witnessed it in 6.5 prc explode on a moose scapula in 3 consecutive shots at around 150 yards.. that's all I have to say. Disappointing is an understatement.

For you goofballs arguing over sectional density.. Its mass/diameter^2. So its just weight and caliber.. length isn't in the calc.

@wartak, you have pics of the moose scapula stopping ELDx? Like they failed to penetrate the scapula?

I've seen ELDx make explosive entry wounds but the wound has always been deep enough to do the job.