Supplements

I have been taking Optimum Nutrition brand protein and pre workout. The brand has been around for years and I trust it a bit more than the fly by night stuff I see on the shelves.

Seems like my local (San Antonio) GNC and Vitamin Shoppe only carry a handful of big brands like this.

There is a mess of mom and pop supplement places that have showed up and sell whatever cheap brands they carry.

What happened to Gaspari Nutrition and Animal brand products.

What if any supplements do you take and really notice make an impact on you ?

I have been taking protein and PRE from optimum nutrition. I just scored a bunch of tubs of protein from Vitamin Shoppe Brand for a great deal (37 bucks for 5lbs).

Just seems like protein is up near 60 bucks/5lbs tube now days. Crazy

JD Jones

WKR
What if any supplements do you take and really notice make an impact on you ?
I use optimum nutrition whey protein. It helps me hit Macros, stay in my calorie plan and I enjoy the taste personally. I use black coffee as my pre if I need it but beyond that no other supplements. I am pretty active and my body seems to be doing what I need it to without any extra support.

I was really into natural body building and during a time I did take a lot of supplements. I was younger and honestly don’t know if it was the sups or the young man drive that helped produce results

I started listening to Andrew Huberman's podcasts. He has a good series on supplements.
I use Bluestar iso-smooth protein. creatine ,iodine, magnesium and acetyl carnitine. I think creatine has had the most noticeable affect.

I like Huberman but he lost me when he said he has a good sleep stack. You need a morning stack, lunch stack, workout stack, recovery stack, sleep stack, midnight snack stack…

Geez.

Poser

WKR
I’m back on creatine after cycling off for a couple of years. It’s annoyingly expensive these days, but have seen significant results strength wise this winter compared to the last couple of winters (I snowboard 60-80 days).

I ditched protein powder a few years back. I have been taking vitamin D+k (to the tune of 5,000+ i/u daily), 50 mg zinc and a higher end fish oil.

Also been experimenting with hormonal supplements: ashwaghanda, tongkat Ali and fadogia agrestis.

Save your money for more red meat.Seriously I’ve been in this game 20 years and the supplements truly only make a difference if you do 95% of everything else consistently.They can help give you a small edge then.
Maybe a good multi,5000 vit d,zinc,magnesium and whatever you may be lacking via bloodwork.
Now if you like the tingling from beta alinine,the boost from caffeine and the muscle fullness from creatine or the better pump from citriline mallate than those can be beneficial but are not game changers.Just buy the ingredients and make yourself for - 1/16 if the price.Sometimes even the placebo you get from these help but at the end of the day nothing is better than real food.
Buy redmon salt and use it on your food and throw 5 grams in your preworkout, if it is some combo of above or just water.
Find a small carb and protein source you enjoy and eat before your workout.
My go to preworkouts are black coffee with 1-2 tablespoons of local honey and a faji yogurt with 1 tablespoon.
Piece of fruit and faji yogurt
Serving of jasmine rice and 4-6 oz ground deer meat
Hope that helps

Last edited: