Supplementing in the woods?

c5mrr270

WKR
For those of you that supplement on a regular basis (protein, creatine, multi vitamins, etc.) do you continue it while in the woods? If so, why and what do you keep up with? If not, why not?

I continue with my multi vitamins, fish oil and wilderness athletes hydrate and recover mixed with energy and focus. Just for the simple fact that it all helps me move or gives me energy. It isn't detrimental to me if I don't but it is easy enough to continue so why not. As far a protein I had a scoop to my granola in the mornings so I guess you can say yes to that.

Poser

WKR
I'm planning to stick with my multivitamins and fish oils supplements and supplement breakfast with some protein powder.
I've been on Creatine this Spring, but am planning to cycle off before hitting the mountains in Sept. I don't see any benefit of being on it for actual hunting. (though, I don't think it would hurt anything so long as your are not creatine loading which will dehydrate you). I have tossed around the idea of Stim o Stam which is a lactate acid buffer popular with cyclists, alpinists, endurance runners etc. I used it some when I used to climb, but that was in anticipation of a single push effort -20 consecutive hours plus. You do need to load on it for 4 days prior to performance. It could be beneficial for a difficult pack out, but no way to anticipate that with loading and I am not sure of the benefits or effects of staying on it for a week straight, so I probably won't use it.

Planning to use these:

Multivitamins
Fish oils
Energy & Focus
Aspirin (keep the blood thin and flowing to extremities)
Whey (premixed with breakfast)
Possibly a bit of vitamin C powder mixed with breakfast as well.

Oh, some athletes have experimented with using the herb Butchers Broom.

I found this conclusion to a study:
Butcher Broom supplementation is able to reduce both lactate levels and parameters of skeletal muscle damage after an exhaustive exercise session. Moreover this supplementation seems to ameliorate fatty acid consumption. Taken together those observation confirm that Rhodiola Rosea (i.e. "Butcher Broom") may increase the adaptogen ability to physical exercise.

It is very cheap and can be used in the form of tea, though it is also a mild diuretic (though certainly no more than coffee).