Suggestions for a recoil shy rifle

How's it going Rokslide. Before I start I just wanted to say I love this forum. I have learned a ton from this place and appreciate all the info that gets passed through here. Ok so first off, about me, I am mainly a bowhunter, started with target archery and then got into bowhunting. I learned to shoot a bow good by starting with bows that were easy to shoot (low holding weight/draw weight) and slowly worked my way up. My experience with rifles has been the exact opposite. I currently own three rifles, a 270 from the 70s, wood stock, no recoil pad that my dad gave me and (2) 300 Win Mags that were gifted to me by a good friend and uncle. I can shoot the 270 the best, even though it kicks the hell out of me. The win mags i can shoot but my groups suck.
I have finally saved up enough money to purchase a rifle, it will be my first purchased rifle, needless to say im stoked. I plan to get a bolt action of some kind and I am curious what you guys would suggest caliber wise for a recoil shy shooter. I am a short guy with a small frame and I would like to get a rifle that I can learn to shoot with the least amount a recoil but still have a decent hunting rifle for california blacktail.
The longest I have shot a deer is right under 400 yards with the 270, so that is about the maximum yardage I am comfortable shooting at.
So parameters (not hard parameters) would be 400yard and under deer rifle with the least amount of recoil possible.
I am interested in the 6.5 Grendel but friends have told me to forget about it.
I like the 243 but my dad has told me to forget about it.
The 6.5 Creedmoor sounds awesome but if the recoil is similar to the 270 it will be on the high side for me.

What do you guys suggest? 223 with 77 tmks? I am all ears.

Mcseal

FNG
Congrats on the decision to buy another rifle! You will get many different recommendations. I would start by putting a recoil pad on your old 270 to see what you think about the recoil. Most of the new rifles you would buy have a recoil pad so this would allow you to have a better comparison.

OP
The Fat Coyote
Congrats on the decision to buy another rifle! You will get many different recommendations. I would start by putting a recoil pad on your old 270 to see what you think about the recoil. Most of the new rifles you would buy have a recoil pad so this would allow you to have a better comparison.
I did throw a recoil pad on it, my long shot on the buck was with this setup but it is still a super hard recoiling rifle, with this old rifle, the barrel isnt threaded so a muzzle brake is not an option. But even with the pad i find the 270 to be a bit much, I have to consciously work at not flinching when shooting it. I intend to go back to this rifle someday as it is my fathers rifle so it holds sentimental value to me. But i would like to work up to it and figure out how to shoot with something that kicks me less until then.

KenLee

WKR
I forgot the "short guy, small frame" comment. I'd look for a rifle with length of pull around 13 inches, or with adjustable length of pull. If really short, any fixed stock rifle of 12.5 inches lop or adjustable lop.
Rifles with stocks too long kick like mules for caliber.

KenLee

WKR
Better be good with a bandsaw on that stock before the pad goes on, since you need a relatively short stock.

6 creed or 6.5 CM. Both have pros and cons. Do some research and figure out what works best for you.

Axlrod

WKR
You can compare recoil of different cartridges with this calculator:

All you need is 4 inputs: Bullet weight & velocity, powder charge weight, and firearm weight

Even your 270 with 85 grain bullets will be much easier to shoot than it is with 150's
If you reload, Hammer makes 85 gr. bullets for the 270 so an 85 gr @ 3000 fps out of an 8# rifle will generate 10.5 foot /pounds of recoil. Same rifle with a 150 gr. is 19.1 ft/#- nearly half as much recoil.
For many years our "kids" rifle was a 270 with light for caliber Barnes monos. Lots of dead elk and deer with that combo.

So whatever cartridge you choose, look for the lightest bullet available. Hornady makes some "lite" ammo in certain cartridges, don't know if they have monos though.

BigNate

WKR
You're going to get a bunch of recommendations based on other people's limited experience, so consider the options carefully.
You may find a youth size stock to be more comfortable. I'm not small but one of my boys has a model 7 that is a shorter LOP stock he got when he was young and it's fine for me to shoot although a little short. Stock fit is critical for felt recoil. An ill fitting stock will add to felt recoil, where a proper fit will tame it substantially.
Starting with rifles that recoil, and don't fit you well, has likely gotten in your head. You are quite likely to be anticipating the recoil which is never good.
Here's my recommendation. Get a proper fitting stock on a .243, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, or 6mm Creedmoorish type, use light bullets for a bit. If you get a muzzle brake be sure to wear earpro. A brake will reduce recoil but add muzzle blast. The muzzle blast can also contribute to recoil sensitivity.
Get used to the gun shooting from sitting or off a bench before going prone. Prone puts more recoil on the bony part of the shoulder if not positioned just right.
The .243 with proper bullets works fantastic for deer and antelope, coyotes, etc. I know people who use one for elk even. You don't need bigger.

After you get the 6mm fitted to you, copy the setup and restock the .270w.

I am interested in the 6.5 Grendel but friends have told me to forget about it.
I like the 243 but my dad has told me to forget about it.
Get a 6 Creedmoor or maybe 6 ARC. No offense but your friends and dad have no idea what they're talking about. To acquire more money for it, use the 270 without a recoil pad to physically assault the people who gifted you the 300WMs until they give you their wallets.

Assuming you don’t reload I would say 243 is your best bet for finding lead free factory ammo. 6.5 cm is still a bit stout for recoil and 223 with lead free isn’t going to be ideal. The 223 really seems to shine with frangible lead bullets. All the other great options like 22 cm 6arc 22arc are going to be lacking lead free options without reloading. My advice without knowing your budget is to buy this exact setup:
If you find that the compact stock is to small it’s very easy to sell/swap for a regular tikka factory stock.