Suggestions for a recoil shy rifle

OP
The Fat Coyote
The 6 CM is still at the top of my brain list
The 223 is also super enticing but if I am going to be stuck to a single type of bullet that might be hard to get, that will be a bummer. I checked out the DRT website and alot of their stuff is sold out :( I do like that they sell in bulk however

180ls1

WKR
The 223 is also super enticing but if I am going to be stuck to a single type of bullet that might be hard to get, that will be a bummer. I checked out the DRT website and alot of their stuff is sold out :( I do like that they sell in bulk however

Make sure you can get your hands on the 6cm stuff as well.

If you cant or don't feel its worth the effort, a 6.5c and good brake will have 40% of the recoil of your current setup and be widely available. That is still a MASSIVE improvement.

wesfromky

WKR
6arc might also be worth looking into for ammo availability. Not quite the range of the 6cm, but less recoil. Ruger has a couple of the gen 2 ranch rifles in it as well. One reason to go with 6mm over 556 is there are some states that won't allow 5.56, but do allow 6mm.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I started with an older 270, and did okay. I was able to keep myself settled enough to make good first round shots, but I struggled to get back on target quickly. Never really looked forward to shooting it.

I bought a 6.5CM to replace it, and it is better, but I definitely catch myself anticipating the shot after a few rounds.

As a result, I just bought a 223 to get more effective practice time. My kids will use it to hunt this fall, and I probably will too for at least one deer. Maybe next year a suppressor will be on the menu.

The Guide

WKR
6arc might also be worth looking into for ammo availability. Not quite the range of the 6cm, but less recoil. Ruger has a couple of the gen 2 ranch rifles in it as well. One reason to go with 6mm over 556 is there are some states that won't allow 5.56, but do allow 6mm.
Not much for lead free offerings in the 6ARC right now. I have both a 6CM and a 6ARC and the 6CM carries its velocity 100 to 150 further than the 6ARC does with the same bullet. The 6ARC is a great cartridge if you aren't required to use lead free only.

Jay

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

You are already recoil sensitive, therefor your greatest effort should be in reducing recoil as much as possible and making the system as shootable as possible.

Even the 77gr LRX is good for 400 yard shots from a 223.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You are already recoil sensitive, therefor your greatest effort should be in reducing recoil as much as possible and making the system as shootable as possible.

Even the 77gr LRX is good for 400 yard shots from a 223.
The 95 LRX are California Coastal Blacktail and Hog Slayers without a doubt. No experience with the 77's but if they perform like the 95's they are excellent killing bullets.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
How's it going Rokslide. Before I start I just wanted to say I love this forum. I have learned a ton from this place and appreciate all the info that gets passed through here. Ok so first off, about me, I am mainly a bowhunter, started with target archery and then got into bowhunting. I learned to shoot a bow good by starting with bows that were easy to shoot (low holding weight/draw weight) and slowly worked my way up. My experience with rifles has been the exact opposite. I currently own three rifles, a 270 from the 70s, wood stock, no recoil pad that my dad gave me and (2) 300 Win Mags that were gifted to me by a good friend and uncle. I can shoot the 270 the best, even though it kicks the hell out of me. The win mags i can shoot but my groups suck.
I have finally saved up enough money to purchase a rifle, it will be my first purchased rifle, needless to say im stoked. I plan to get a bolt action of some kind and I am curious what you guys would suggest caliber wise for a recoil shy shooter. I am a short guy with a small frame and I would like to get a rifle that I can learn to shoot with the least amount a recoil but still have a decent hunting rifle for california blacktail.
The longest I have shot a deer is right under 400 yards with the 270, so that is about the maximum yardage I am comfortable shooting at.
So parameters (not hard parameters) would be 400yard and under deer rifle with the least amount of recoil possible.
I am interested in the 6.5 Grendel but friends have told me to forget about it.
I like the 243 but my dad has told me to forget about it.
The 6.5 Creedmoor sounds awesome but if the recoil is similar to the 270 it will be on the high side for me.

What do you guys suggest? 223 with 77 tmks? I am all ears.
Get an AR in 223, 22ARC or 6mm ARC. Build it lightweight and with an adjustable stock. Done.

CA compliant ARs suck but it's a hunting rifle. He could make it a straight pull even.

Currently in the same situation and did the tikka thing. Interested in the DRT ammo, hopefully I can find a pig once I get some to add to the 223 megathread.

I have been a 223 fan boi since before it was cool. 😉 I also grew up deer hunting with a 243. This year will be the first time I ever hunt deer without my trusty 243. I got myself a new 6.5 Creed for something different and to allow my wife to hunt with the .243. I do not enjoy shooting my .30-06, it hammered the piss out of me as a young teen and it's just not an enjoyable experience since.

All 3 would be fine cartridges for you. I would vote 243 or 6.5 Creed just incase you get the urge to travel and hunt, since .22 cal isn't legal everywhere for big game.

I am also am enjoyer of the 6.5 Grendel. But I would skip it personally, unless you reload. Decent bit of factory ammo but reloading really opens up it's potential IMHO.