Substitute for 155 Lapua Scenar?

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I used the 155 scenars in a 308 for a couple seasons, mostly from reading that campfire thread. I wasn't really thrilled with how they worked. Now my sample size wasn't very big, 5 deer was all. But I had several long runs and overall slow kills. Some people swear by them and that's great, but I've went back to other bullets

OP
L
Any thoughts on which of the listed bullets might perform best at close range? My next hunt will likely include shots at under 100 yards in timber. Given my barrel twist, was thinking of using one of the 168s.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts on which of the listed bullets might perform best at close range? My next hunt will likely include shots at under 100 yards in timber. Given my barrel twist, was thinking of using one of the 168s.
I can't debate the great effectiveness of these match bullets at long range. The proof is there. Close range elk hunting is what has given me pause with match bullets. I'm concerned that the velocity could be too high at such close ranges?

ElPollo

WKR
I can't debate the great effectiveness of these match bullets at long range. The proof is there. Close range elk hunting is what has given me pause with match bullets. I'm concerned that the velocity could be too high at such close ranges?
Did you read this thread and the concerns people have about Scenars or did you just comment on what you believe? If the latter, what is your motivation for using a forum like this? I personally think of Rokslide as an information source that challenges dogma.

ZAR EC

FNG
I used .338 250gr scenars for a few years at at around 2700 fps MV. On game up to 200lbs (Warthog, Impala, bushbuck) they penetrated 1/2 way through chest cavity before upsetting. They didn't kill nearly as quickly as I would have liked. On larger game in Wildebeest/Zebra/Kudu class they were perfection and always excited with large wound channels. In summary they performed poorly on smaller game but extremely well on larger game. Not 155gr .308 but some data which corroborates the slow upsetting of Scenars. I shot around 70 head of game according to my notes before switching to 230gr ELD-X which proved to be far better killers across all game weight classes

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Did you read this thread and the concerns people have about Scenars or did you just comment on what you believe? If the latter, what is your motivation for using a forum like this? I personally think of Rokslide as an information source that challenges dogma.
Yes, I read every word. I'm not into spreading untruthful info either. In fact your results with scenars and that of others leads me to think scenars are NOT nearly as effective as some other threads on 24hcf has portrayed. Maybe I should rephrase what I said earlier. I've no doubt that match bullets like tmk and eldm ARE EFFECTIVE on game, especially at MEDIUM to LONGER distances. Form and others have demonstrated this at length. Where I get hung up is not knowing how match bullets like tmk and eldm perform specifically at SHORTER distances (<100 yds). Is this not a valid question? On any given day, I can encounter elk at 25 yards to as far as my ability allows. Currently I tend to favor Accubonds. If the suggested bullets perform well terminally both up close and at distance, then I'm willing to try them out for elk.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
That is a valid question. But all match bullets are not equal. Some are tougher than others. In this case, we are discussing one that is not going to explode at short ranges. If you want specifics on the TMK at short ranges check out the 223 thread. There are several kills in there that are sub 100 yards.

For me, those super close shots are rare, but I have no concerns using a TMK or an ELDM at sub 50 yards. That said, I avoid shooting shoulders and most raking shots because I am expecting a bigger wound cavity. I’ve not used the accubonds, but a friend does. The results he gets with that bullet in a high-speed 270 magnum are a lot like monos.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
That is a valid question. But all match bullets are not equal. Some are tougher than others. In this case, we are discussing one that is not going to explode at short ranges. If you want specifics on the TMK at short ranges check out the 223 thread. There are several kills in there that are sub 100 yards.

For me, those super close shots are rare, but I have no concerns using a TMK or an ELDM at sub 50 yards. That said, I avoid shooting shoulders and most raking shots because I am expecting a bigger wound cavity. I’ve not used the accubonds, but a friend does. The results he gets with that bullet in a high-speed 270 magnum are a lot like monos.
Thank you for that info. I will likely give the 168-178 tmk or eld-m/x a go for elk. Fyi, my own experience with four bulls being harvested... 3 with 30.06 180g NAB / 180g Fed TBBC and 1 with 300WM 200g NAB. All 4 elk taken <125 yds. Only one 180g NAB and TBBC were recovered in the offside hide. Others were pass throughs. I don't aim for the shoulders myself if I can help it. Although the wound channels were not very impressive, all 4 animals were down within 30ish yds. or so. So bonded performance has been satisfactory for me at close range. But I've no experience with them on longer shots yet. I know it's a lot to ask a bullet to perform at all ranges near to far. So I'm always open to a better mousetrap! Back to the reloading bench!

OP
L
Based on input here...I couldn't resist the sale at Scheels, so I also bought some 168 TMKs. I look forward to sending a few downrange, and hopefully witness their effectiveness myself.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I know you ended up switching, but for anyone else that's been looking for 155gr Scenars, Brownell's just got some in. I just got a stock notification email for them. https://www.brownells.com/reloading/components/bullets/scenar-l-bullets/?sku=749015503

My 30-06 loves them, but I haven't found the grail load for my .308 Win. I've also gotten sidetracked from them with all the talk of the TMKs--I've got 168s and 175s that I haven't tried yet.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge fan of the 155TMK in the 308. They shoot seriously well out of my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. My handload is 2600fps with an ES of 9 and is superbly accurate. No question, they'd be my first and last choice of bullet.