Stupid Savage rifles….

WCB

WKR
I have around 10 Savages...ZERO issue what so ever. Never had a cycling, feeding, or extraction issue even in the 25 Walking Varminter. All my guns are 2016ish and newer. Hundreds of rounds through all of them most used in normal hunting conditions, heat, well below zero, rain, sleet, snow etc.

As far as the Accu Trigger my groups don't seem to mind it or any animal I've killed with it. Once I coached my wife a bit on shooting hers a she loves it now. Take up all the slack right away. I don't even notice the first part of the trigger at all. Just gather it up and get to the actual trigger then it is just like any other trigger. Turn mine all the way down instantly and are 2.3-2.5 pounds.

I have a number of savages for the kids. All shoot very well but have had feeding issues with a couple. Seem sthe detachable mag gets lose and the bolt does not pick up a case. If you remember to put pressure on the mag it seems to feed better. But thats something you should not have to do. Also have had a few weak ejections.

Over all cheap gun that shoots well. I tell the kids stay come and feed it slowly and it will work. I dont think I would take it on a hunt of a lifetime because of these small issues

OP
Newtosavage
I have a number of savages for the kids. All shoot very well but have had feeding issues with a couple. Seem sthe detachable mag gets lose and the bolt does not pick up a case. If you remember to put pressure on the mag it seems to feed better. But thats something you should not have to do. Also have had a few weak ejections.

Over all cheap gun that shoots well. I tell the kids stay come and feed it slowly and it will work. I dont think I would take it on a hunt of a lifetime because of these small issues
tweaking the feed lips on the mags seems to take care of that. Not hard to do with a normal set of pliers. Every ADL and BDL setup I've ever owned had feed issues. My Howas were the worst. Might as well have been single shots for all practical purposes. Kimbers are rough feeding. My Ruger 77 CRF's had to be cycled slowly. Only rifles I've never had feed issues from were Tikkas with the poly mags. Every other brand/type has needed tweaking.

TheHammer

WKR
Similar to his response. I agree with most of what has been said, for me it’s aid in the shot process. I’ll never have anything besides a 2stage trigger assembly from now on. My 110s have forced me to sell all the normally recommended rifles on this page as I feel they are a better shooting rifle and fit better than any thing else I’ve owned… only one I had an issue with is one of the original ultralights in 28nosler, that one didn’t shoot.

BCD

WKR
Rescued a Savage priced way too low from a LGS and here’s what it did on its maiden voyage….

Really just bought it for the stock and action, but figured I'd shoot it before I pulled the barrel.

Zero load development. Dang.
Where did you find one at that price??

OP
Newtosavage
Where did you find one at that price??
Sporting goods store near Bangor, Maine. On the rack with a lot of Brownings and CA's and other $1k+ rifles. I guess they figured it was cluttering up their rack. LOL Guys didn't even flinch when I asked about the price. Practically new Model 110 with the new style stock. Total no brainer. Figured I'd throw a new barrel on it but now I'm not so sure! ha, ha. (nah, I will. :D)

BCD

WKR
Sporting goods store near Bangor, Maine. On the rack with a lot of Brownings and CA's and other $1k+ rifles. I guess they figured it was cluttering up their rack. LOL Guys didn't even flinch when I asked about the price. Practically new Model 110 with the new style stock. Total no brainer. Figured I'd throw a new barrel on it but now I'm not so sure! ha, ha. (nah, I will. :D)
Do you know what they normally retail for? I'm looking for a 6.5 light kicking rifle to get me through hunting season as I am having shoulder surgery in late November and I don't have a good lighter recoil option than a 30-06 and 308 currently.

KenLee

WKR
Do you know what they normally retail for? I'm looking for a 6.5 light kicking rifle to get me through hunting season as I am having shoulder surgery in late November and I don't have a good lighter recoil option than a 30-06 and 308 currently.
You can find the 110 Apex Hunter on Gunbroker at less than $500 with a decently usable Vortex Crossfire II scope.
Shipping charge is probably borderline robbery though.

OP
Newtosavage
You can find the 110 Apex Hunter on Gunbroker at less than $500 with a decently usable Vortex Crossfire II scope.
Shipping charge is probably borderline robbery though.
Yup, that's a good route to go, or for even less money, an Axis in 6.5 will outshoot most customs and cost you less than $400. The newer Axis stocks are a vast improvement over the old ones too.

BCD

WKR
Yup, that's a good route to go, or for even less money, an Axis in 6.5 will outshoot most customs and cost you less than $400. The newer Axis stocks are a vast improvement over the old ones too.

I'm reluctant to buy an Axis. I did buy one for my son and it is a tack driver but the bolt is extremely sloppy and the magazine falls out at times.

TheHammer

WKR
I'm reluctant to buy an Axis. I did buy one for my son and it is a tack driver but the bolt is extremely sloppy and the magazine falls out at times.
What is your budget? There are several 110 options and variations. You need to figure out if you need an adjustable comb or not as a few of the 110s do not off this. And once you realize how important comb height is to consistency, it’s hard not to have that option.

Guys that bash savage rifles are the same guys that owned every Nickelback album in college but bash them to sound cool around their friends.
I'll have you know that I've always wondered why people felt the need to bash Nickelback. Was bummed when i had to work the night they played at the fargodome back in college.. I have a similar confusion about people who like savages.

KenLee

WKR
I'll have you know that I've always wondered why people felt the need to bash Nickelback. Was bummed when i had to work the night they played at the fargodome back in college.. I have a similar confusion about people who like savages.
I'm so old that I have no clue who or what Nickelback is

OP
Newtosavage
I'm so old that I have no clue who or what Nickelback is
Feel fortunate you don't know. :D

The 110 XP packages are the best value, even if you don't need the scope. I've bought them before just for the stock and action. The XP's have an adjustable length of pull but not the adjustable comb height. I like the standard comb height, and I always want to cut weight, so the XP stocks suit me just fine.

Pull the flapper off the trigger, and it makes them not so annoying
That is a good idea, I don’t like their triggers at all, but if it weren’t for the little blade, I probably wouldn’t mind it.

My wife has an ultralite in an xlr that’s a really good shooting rifle, prior to that she had a lightweight storm that was just as accurate, but I still prefer tikka after trying many different rifles… like savage, they are not much for looking at, but functional, and both have lots of aftermarket support, but I like the action and triggers on tikka

I think savage offers the best bang for your buck, and do appreciate what they produce… and that price is hard to beat, or impossible to beat for a new rifle.

Unckebob

WKR
Ok. So I agree. Mine shoot well too.

But help me get the dang thing to cycle well.

I’ve tried the aftermarket bolt kits on two rifles. Still not reliable extraction (unless forceful pull back it hangs up).

For a hunting rig I’m not complaining, but compared to some others it’s rough.

Seriously open to some thoughts on how to improve.

work the bolt hard and it should extract fine.

Last edited: