Stuff overheard at the range or local gun shop

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
The archery range can be just as entertaining as the rifle range… especially as we get close to bow season.

Anyone remember that “wildernessmaster” guy on here? The dude claimed to be special forces and the shit he would post was unreal.
Had a guy come in the shop asking for a "used rubber" for his peep. The whole place erupted.

CorbLand

WKR
Yep every Sportsmans warehouse in the country has one of those guys. Ours had a guy who claimed…

He rode a pedal bike across the Ho Chi Minh trail during Vietnam

Was shot out of a torpedo into Vietnam

Was personally asked by the president to interrogate saddam Hussein

Sole survivor of 7 helicopter crashes

Pulled the engine out of an old corvette on the side of a road by his bare hands to swap it

The list goes on and on and on.

I always told the other guys who worked there that one day he will die and we will see him on the news going over all of his accomplishments and the joke will be on us 😂
You a recovering member of a sportsmans hunting associate club as well?

About 2 years clean at this point but sometimes I get the itch to go back for the opportunity to provide exceptional customer service to the general public or the discount...

svivian

WKR

About 2 years clean at this point but sometimes I get the itch to go back for the opportunity to provide exceptional customer service to the general public or the discount...
Yep gift bar and camping for this guy for too long. Loved the discount and spiffs but eventually I got a big boy job.

nobody

WKR

Same bro, they’ve cleaned house at the one here and fired everyone and now are contacting all the previous “good employees” trying to hire us back. Still not paying worth a darn, and idk if my mental health can take any more of it…

svivian

WKR
Same bro, they’ve cleaned house at the one here and fired everyone and now are contacting all the previous “good employees” trying to hire us back. Still not paying worth a darn, and idk if my mental health can take any more of it…
I remember my raises used to be minimum wage getting increased 🤣

CorbLand

WKR
Yep gift bar and camping for this guy for too long. Loved the discount and spiffs but eventually I got a big boy job.
Same for me except the last ~4 years I was at the gun counter. Giftbar was the best for spiffs. I think I was just over 9 years when I turned my card in.
Our store lost the store manager, half department managers and about all the long time associates in roughly one year. Its horrible. 2 years and I have only stepped foot in there about 5 times.

Harvey_NW

WKR
The gun counter guy telling customers that the parallax adjustment is just a side focus and doesn't really matter, then suggests Vortex. Also doesn't know the difference between Picatinny and Weaver, "that's just the brand".

Listening to guys at the range try to explain MOA or MIL when they clearly don't understand it themselves.

Listening to spotters tell a shooter scope adjustments from single shots and wasting boxes of ammo chasing their tail around target and end up "good enough".

Lead sleds.

A Desert Storm Army vet that can hit a quarter at a grand with an open sight M16.

308 is the best long range caliber.

Watching a guy with a Barrett looking uber-long range big magnum shoot circles around a USPSA target at 500 yards pack his shit and storm off after I hit it 4x in a row as fast as I could rack and squeeze with my wimpy little 6 Creedmoor.

And the ever classic "1/4 MOA all DAY"! :ROFLMAO:

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Was at Sportsmans Warehouse last night to get a phoneskope and couldn't find the display, ask someone on the floor and they told me to ask at the gun counter. I tell the guy behind the counter I need a phoneskope for my Swaro spotter and he walks me down to the cases of rifle scopes and says confidently "any of these should work just depends on how much you want to spend, do you have a set of rings to attach your phone?" I used to feel bad for online shopping and utilizing my buddies FFL but they sure don't make it easy to spend money locally.

Spoonbill

WKR
I was at a public range and saw a guy hand his pregnant wife an mp5 clone and then told her to hip fire it. Same guy then pulls out an AR-10 with no scope or sights and starts shooting at a 25 yard target. After ten shots he made a comment about getting the gun on discount at work and how he needs to take it back to get it fixed since its not accurate.
I quickly packed up my guns and left.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Lead sleds.
I admit to owning one, and having used it when I didn't know better.

A work colleague the other day mentioned he has and loves his. I couldn't help myself and mentioned it can wreak havoc on your scope, and you should know how well it shoots against your shoulder, not locked in a sled, etc. It wasn't a productive conversation. One more reason I need to read Meditations more quickly.

KenLee

WKR

A work colleague the other day mentioned he has and loves his. I couldn't help myself and mentioned it can wreak havoc on your scope, and you should know how well it shoots against your shoulder, not locked in a sled, etc. It wasn't a productive conversation. One more reason I need to read Meditations more quickly.
If you don't load the sled down with weight, it's fine to get a rough zero. I swap to open rack or tripod to fine tune. If a scope breaks on an unweighted sled, its a blessing cause it was gonna break anyway.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm guilty of doing pretty much everything Rokslide shuns, lol. 20 years ago I thought a 30-06 with a 180gr was the minimum needed to hunt mule deer, I "zeroed" with 3 shots every year, used a lead sled, gutted deer in the field and drug them back to the truck whole and hunted the rest of the day and thought they tasted like crap because they eat sagebrush. The learning curve has been steep!

It wasn't a productive conversation.
Happens all the time now. I try to refrain from commenting on ANYTHING unless asked. :ROFLMAO:

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I'm guilty of doing pretty much everything Rokslide shuns, lol. 20 years ago I thought a 30-06 with a 180gr was the minimum needed to hunt mule deer, I "zeroed" with 3 shots every year, used a lead sled, gutted deer in the field and drug them back to the truck whole and hunted the rest of the day and thought they tasted like crap because they eat sagebrush. The learning curve has been steep!

Happens all the time now. I try to refrain from commenting on ANYTHING unless asked. :ROFLMAO:
Ditto on some of the same. I still have three rifles that are gathering dust and for which I have loads of ammo I purchased, but I'm too lazy to take pictures or take them to the LGS for consignment.

I strive for not commenting on some matters - EVEN when asked.