Stretching program?

I've been paying for a monthly subscription to "Pliability" (formerly known as ROMWOD). Are there any similar stretching routines/programs that are free on YouTube instead?

180ls1

WKR
I am sure there are but I don't know of any so I cant help there.

But, I've done yoga classes. They are free at my local gym if you're a member. Something to look into as I felt they were helpful and you have someone correcting/helping you. I probably should start going again.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from hot yoga. Lots of stretching in there. Feels like a good supplement to rucks, kettle bells and squats prepping for the mountains.

DanimalW

WKR
Has anyone really benefited from a stretching program? If so, how? Serious question. It’s time consuming, so I normally just choose exercise.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for something I can do at home, as I often do my stretching routine as my last thing before bed.

I have a 10 minute or so routine I do every morning on a yoga mat. I have had back issues in the past but since I have done this routine (which is several things from yoga lessons combined with stretching) my back issues are gone knock on wood. Good way to get the day started....

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone really benefited from a stretching program? If so, how? Serious question. It’s time consuming, so I normally just choose exercise.
I've benefited tremendously. Huge improvement in my range of motion, especially in my hips, ankles, and shoulders. I know tons of old dudes who can't hardly touch their toes and get "frozen shoulder" symptoms and other issues with mobility. I believe if they would've spent their life incorporating regular stretching, their quality of life would be better today. The benefits of regular stretching cannot be argued with. Of course exercise as well. I'm a crossfitter and a runner. I also shoe horses for a living, which is physically demanding. Regular stretching has changed my life.

Last example, I used to deal with IT band issues and lateral thigh numbness when hiking with a pack, especially a heavy pack full of meat. A stretching routine in the off-season has helped eliminate that issue.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Typically will stretch post resistance training to help with soreness but nothing I'd call a "routine". The thing that I've done is a mobility routine prior to lifting. Plug in "DeFranco Agile 8" to the internet and it should pop up. It's seemed to make my sock installs have less strain and grunting.

rclouse79

WKR
I usually don’t hand out this information, but I am feeling generous. I have never enjoyed stretching but needed to do something when I started getting low back pain tied to my tight hamstrings. I started propping one leg up on my sink and stretching forward for two cycles of my sonic care tooth brush and the other leg for the other two cycles. Now I do it without even thinking. I went from being able to touch mid shin to being able to touch my toes and no more back pain.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I usually don’t hand out this information, but I am feeling generous. I have never enjoyed stretching but needed to do something when I started getting low back pain tied to my tight hamstrings. I started propping one leg up on my sink and stretching forward for two cycles of my sonic care tooth brush and the other leg for the other two cycles. Now I do it without even thinking. I went from being able to touch mid shin to being able to touch my toes and no more back pain.
Video please?

ODB

WKR

Not sure how old you are but flexibility as you age will really help prevent “stupid” injuries like stepping wrong, small trips, little pulls and tears from random events.

I’ve always seen flexibility as distinct from strength. Take a look at the Golfer Gary player for an example of how important stretching is. He’s always been a huge proponent of it.

*zap*

WKR
stretching can be very good for you. Try a few stretches and see what you can/cannot do....pike, pancake stuff like that...if you cannot even get close than why not?
It may take a while to become proficient but imo it will be worth it if you keep consistent. I started some stuff months ago and am expanding on it constantly.
Do not forget to stretch/strengthen the psoas group.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Stretching also releases endorphins. My kid, well, that’s too long a story to tell, but when she was small we would intentionally stretch her muscles and compress/decompress her joints. It would help relax her, especially at bed time. We called it a “squeezy” and it made a big difference in getting her settled.

DownDog yoga app. Its a paid yearly subscription. I think $20. You can customize a yoga routine. Stupid user friendly. If you wanna focus stetching then tomorrow switch to strengthening your lower back, it takes a couple seconds to change the routine.