Stretching program?

I've never been very flexible, but was incredibly surprised with how much my flexibility (and range of motion) improved with the MTNTOUGH Foundation Minimal Gear program.

The YouTube account Yoga with Adriene is pretty good. She has a bunch of different videos that focus on different things like lower back, shoulders, neck, etc. and other general practice ones too. I sit at a desk most days so I feel much better after doing those. My flexibility greatly improved when I was doing them consistently too

DanimalW

WKR
Not sure how old you are but flexibility as you age will really help prevent “stupid” injuries like stepping wrong, small trips, little pulls and tears from random events.

I’ve always seen flexibility as distinct from strength. Take a look at the Golfer Gary player for an example of how important stretching is. He’s always been a huge proponent of it.
40 - I do semi-regular stretching, but I’ve never realized any noticeable gains in flexibility from doing. So I’ve always wondered if it actually did anything for me or not. Maybe I’m just not doing it right.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
DownDog yoga app. Its a paid yearly subscription. I think $20. You can customize a yoga routine. Stupid user friendly. If you wanna focus stetching then tomorrow switch to strengthening your lower back, it takes a couple seconds to change the routine.
This sounds like the one I'll check out first

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds like the one I'll check out first

Not criticizing you—do whatever you want of course. But I do think paying for a subscription for a stretching program is pretty pointless with all of the resources you have easy access to online and through YouTube. You don’t even have to know what you’re doing, just look up some videos and free programs and if you do them correctly and consistently you will see a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Stretched today...hang x3 also.

It can be surprising how much those two things can tire you out.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I usually don’t hand out this information, but I am feeling generous. I have never enjoyed stretching but needed to do something when I started getting low back pain tied to my tight hamstrings. I started propping one leg up on my sink and stretching forward for two cycles of my sonic care tooth brush and the other leg for the other two cycles. Now I do it without even thinking. I went from being able to touch mid shin to being able to touch my toes and no more back pain.
Been doing this for a few days now. Super easy to squeeze in a few minutes of stretching this way.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I usually don’t hand out this information, but I am feeling generous. I have never enjoyed stretching but needed to do something when I started getting low back pain tied to my tight hamstrings. I started propping one leg up on my sink and stretching forward for two cycles of my sonic care tooth brush and the other leg for the other two cycles. Now I do it without even thinking. I went from being able to touch mid shin to being able to touch my toes and no more back pain.

Seriously, I do this too! Genius!

7mm-08

WKR
Turned 65 this year and started stretching regularly in my 50's due to back pain associated with riding a desk and stress. Over those 12 or so years I've been stretching weekly, I've come to believe that taking a day to stretch from my previous five day/per week workout regiment (three days aerobic, two days anaerobic) has been a good thing. Now two each for aerobic and anaerobic and one to stretch is a good formula into maturity (if I'm not there already). Runner's hamstrings and back stiffness issues arising out of excess sitting benefit from the stretching for sure. I think a yoga routine might be in my future as well (after I start to heal up from a very recently reattached bicep tendon).

Fullfan

WKR
Google David Goggins, man is an animal, untra marathon runner, former Navy Seal.
Stretches for 2 hours every night

Has anyone really benefited from a stretching program? If so, how? Serious question. It’s time consuming, so I normally just choose exercise.
You’ll see more benefit as you get older. If I don’t stretch I have pain from plantar fasciaitis and some other misc things. I only spend about five minutes a day on it so probably not doing it right, but it still helps.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Google David Goggins, man is an animal, untra marathon runner, former Navy Seal.
Stretches for 2 hours every night
I'm familiar with David Goggins. He is an animal for sure. I respect some aspects of what he's about. Other aspects, I think his priorities are out of whack.

Not criticizing you—do whatever you want of course. But I do think paying for a subscription for a stretching program is pretty pointless with all of the resources you have easy access to online and through YouTube. You don’t even have to know what you’re doing, just look up some videos and free programs and if you do them correctly and consistently you will see a difference

Variety is the spice of life, right? I've got no skin in the game but the DownDog app works for me because i can display the app on my TV, I can get different yoga programs everyday of the week depending on what l need to focus on instead of having to sort through a hundred advertisment youtube videos. $10-20 for the year should be affordable to everyone and you don't get commercials. Trade offs right?