Stove other than lightweight options in SO tipi

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone is running a stove other than the lightweight titanium options in their tipis. I have a 6 man and already have a medium titanium stove. But really find myself using the tipi more truck style camping where the lightweight isn’t such a big deal. But I still really enjoy the stove. Anyone use a different type of stove. Heavier, little bigger, holds heat a little longer and less expensive? I’ll use the titanium version with my LBO and when packing in.

Last edited:
I use a Guide Gear stove when truck camping and are relatively pleased for the price. Holds heat decently and burns much better than expected…can usually get through the night with only 1 or 2 stokings. $200 all in with accessories.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Riley stoves are alot of outfitters choice. Not sure whst size for a six man, Probably a colt. Burn long and have hot water tank options as well.

hunt1up

WKR
I used a titanium stove for several hunts and always found myself cussing when it came time to assemble and disassemble that thing. I know they have their place but it's not my cup of tea. I've been planning on buying one of these England Stove Works stoves for our 12 man tipi. American made and they look pretty robust. Price is right. I've never used one though.

Or this one from US Stove:

Edit: Reviews on that US Stove are mixed. It is much lighter weight and thinner material than the England one I posted first. Different price point so maybe the US is still serviceable, but the quality appears to be much different between the two.

Last edited:
My boys and I used a Mr Heater Big Buddy with a 20lb propane tank last fall in a Redcliff in single digit temperatures and that worked fairly well.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
My boys and I used a Mr Heater Big Buddy with a 20lb propane tank last fall in a Redcliff in single digit temperatures and that worked fairly well.
I’ve been thinking of going this route too. But the nostalgia of the wood stove (although a pain at times) is hard to beat! Buddy heaters are definitely practical though

jjolg

FNG
What type?
I have the xl without the glass window as my only concern was that having issues rattling around the back of the truck. I purchased some 45s to make positioning it in the tipi a bit easier but overall I enjoy it

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Someone turned me onto the Winnerwell Fastfold Titanium Tent Stove and it seems like a decent option. It just folds flat and doesn’t look like there are any bolts or whatever to assemble it and it appears to hold heat a bit longer. I don’t have one and have only researched it but that’s what I’m seeing so far so it might be worth taking a look at

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Someone turned me onto the Winnerwell Fastfold Titanium Tent Stove and it seems like a decent option. It just folds flat and doesn’t look like there are any bolts or whatever to assemble it and it appears to hold heat a bit longer. I don’t have one and have only researched it but that’s what I’m seeing so far so it might be worth taking a look at
Will do. Seems like they were a little spendy last time I looked but I do like the fold design and they might have a stainless steel option

Four Dog Stove: Ultralight I-DX
$850.00

These stoves are built to last
-Welded titanium construction
-Double layered bottom
-Baffled fire box
-Folding legs
-10 lbs.

The only thing I didn’t like is the stove pipe. So, I ordered a Seek Outside stove pipe and used that instead.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Four Dog Stove: Ultralight I-DX
$850.00

These stoves are built to last
-Welded titanium construction
-Double layered bottom
-Baffled fire box
-Folding legs
-10 lbs.

The only thing I didn’t like is the stove pipe. So, I ordered a Seek Outside stove pipe and used that instead.
Interesting - haven’t heard of them but will check it out. Little pricey though but would be curious to take a look at the design

*zap*

WKR
I use a Kni-co trekker. USA made, $200 with pipe but I had to buy some more pipe for height. 22 gauge cold rolled steel. Works fine for me, hold quite a bit more than my so medium without taking up too much room. I added a few elbows since that picture so I can set it off to one side a bit more.....I think that makes a difference. See next post.

20221222_164522.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Kni-co trekker. $200 with pipe but I had to buy some more pipe for height. 22 gauge cold rolled steel. Works fine for me, hold more than my so medium.
Yah - that’s more what I’m looking for. Love the seek outside medium stove I have. But don’t need to use it when truck camping and weight is not such a big deal. Good to know on the Kni-co option

*zap*

WKR
bass pro/cabelas may have that in stock, I got mine at KCK cabelas and it had a dent so I got 15% off...the extra pipe and shelf I got from kni-co and the elbows I got at a local hardware. The local hardware pipe was not as good as what kni-co sells.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the knico. It's what I use in my cabelas alaknak tent. The camp chef stoves from cabelas are also a good option.

poboy2214

FNG
Any issues with it at elevation? I’ve got one but I’ve heard mixed reviews once you get over 8000’ and I’ll be around 9500 this fall?