Stove other than lightweight options in SO tipi

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Any issues with it at elevation? I’ve got one but I’ve heard mixed reviews once you get over 8000’ and I’ll be around 9500 this fall?
Mine works reliably at 9,100 but doesn't at 10,000 in an enclosed space. It helps if the unit gets fresh air, but that can defeat the purpose. A battery powered fan behind it pulling in fresh air through a crack in the door also helps. My cousin using the same system (buddy heater with 20lb tank) was less reliable at 9100 until he was giving it fresh air. I think the low oxygen cutoff sensor must vary slightly between units.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

I use a knico Alaskan in mine when we're truck camping or pulling sleds. It will go 8 hours on a load of wood and is great to cook on

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I use a nuway 4000 propane stove in my 8man with a 30lb tank. A 3" titanium stovepipe from lite outdoors fits perfect and saves a ton of space when packed vs a traditional pipe.

Instant heat, no stoking, no gathering and processing wood, no smoke, no sparks. A 30lb tank will run a long time.

Downsides are transporting a big heavy tank, and once you run out of propane, you can't just go in the woods and get more. I'm tempted to pick up one of the UL ti stoves to have as a backup in that situation, given they wouldn't take up any space in the back of the car.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I use a winnerwell nomad medium in my cimarron on rafting trips or truck camping.
I love the window, and the wings for drying stuff out.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone is running a stove other than the lightweight titanium options in their tipis. I have a 6 man and already have a medium titanium stove. But really find myself using the tipi more truck style camping where the lightweight isn’t such a big deal. But I still really enjoy the stove. Anyone use a different type of stove. Heavier, little bigger, holds heat a little longer and less expensive? I’ll use the titanium version with my LBO and when packing in.
Will 2nd the Gstove suggestion. Incredible workmanship and built like a tank (you can stand on it). Side racks fold in and double as a hand carrier (also make excellent toast when folded in). Lots of accessories (oven, water heater, etc.) and a clothes dryer that fastens to the very solid pipe with arms that fold out out to dry clothes. Have been using one now for several years after using a heavier and much bulkier Cylinder stove. This is like a mini-cylinder stove. We used it in a 12-man SO and it worked great.

Curious what the OP went with?

I experienced a kni-co trekker this fall in a 6 man tipi. Sold me on stoves. I’ve since bought 3 Kni-cos. Alaskan. Packer. And trekker.

I hunt from a boat and though I also own two titanium stoves, I believe the Kni-cos will get more usage.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Actually still using the seek titanium but also have used a propane heater. Lately my hunts have been closer to home or out of the back of my truck. But still planning on getting something different at some point.

mtbn

FNG
I recently bought the airtight, steel, Little Dog stove from Four Dog Stoves for the same reasons you are looking. I've used it several nights now in my Ellis 12x12 Praire tent and really like it. Burns longer than my Riley bullet model and no sharp edges.

Actually still using the seek titanium but also have used a propane heater. Lately my hunts have been closer to home or out of the back of my truck. But still planning on getting something different at some point.
I think that Kni-co packet would be great. 12.5lbs. It’s a little longer so longer wood lengths work.

What I’ve learned is you need more than one stove. For different purposes.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ran my two dog stove in my redcliff as was car camping. Worked like a charm to burn 🔥 you out of there. This stove I normally run in my wall tent and is 20 yrs old and will outlive me🤣 we had two cots and limited gear with extra 🥃 burn time about 4-5 hours

Attachments

• IMG_4455.jpeg
    IMG_4455.jpeg
    658.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 20