Stone Glacier Sky packs 2014

Great photos of the SG under a big load YK. I'm glad your Dad got a big bear, that's a trophy of a lifetime. How far overall did you have to hike with that big load?

The more I see feedback like this, the more I think the Sky 5100 is the pack for me.

I am still on the fence with a Kifaru or a SG. I would like to hear why those of you that feel like the SG is for them feel that way. Why the SG over a Kifaru?

Ironman8

WKR
I am still on the fence with a Kifaru or a SG. I would like to hear why those of you that feel like the SG is for them feel that way. Why the SG over a Kifaru?

When the Nomad came out it, the modularity and options it offered made me really look hard at it, and I really do like it still. For me though I can get the modularity and options that I like with the Nomad (just approached differently by the SG Sky pack), yet in a lighter, less expensive, less complicated/more streamlined (IMO) package.

Note that I'm only speaking to the layout of the pack design. I don't have hands on time with either of these packs so I can't comment on anything more than what I can gather from pics and reviews.

16Bore

WKR

I hate pockets, pods, and add on bags. Haven't fondled either, but like it simple. Had an Eberlestock that lasted 15 minutes once I started messing with the "wings". I'd rather sort with stuff sacks and dry bags than have pockets. Lid for quick needs and one bigger zip pocket suits me fine.

tttoadman

WKR

I am a big fan of simple. My old pack back is a single bag with 1 long vertical pocket on each side. The Kifaru seemed too busy for me. By the time you added all the grab-its and other add on's, it seemed to push the price and the weight over the SG.

My number one feature is the continuous 2" belt. I have the belt loaded with all of my daily stuff. The Kifaru didn't have the 2" belt going all the way around the side. I bought the solo before the sky packs came out. I am not certain I wouldn't buy a solo today over a sky pack. The top load seems simpler and more usable "to me".

The only thing I would like to see Kurt make is a top lid that will attach to a solo. After looking at a sky pack lid in person, it looks like a guy could hook the sky lid onto a solo using the 2 unused connectors at the top. It looks like you always have 2 unused connectors depending on whether you have the load shelf expanded or not. It needs to be waterproof material. I say this because on light rain days, I put a 10L dry bag over the top as a "rain hat". It is quick to pop on and off compared to a full cover, and the only thing you really need to worry about in a light rain is the top of the bag.

Thanks for the replys guys. Those are my same reasons for looking at the SG packs. I had a Icon 3000 and loved it. I got the 5200 and did not like all the straps and side pockets. I then got the Ultra and sent it back because of the belt. I did love the pack though, really wanted to keep it but just couldnt do it. I will say the nomad is actually the reason I am still on the fence. I like the idea of putting a big bag in the center and then having easy access to gear with the pockets. And a Bikini with the nomad and a sack would come in at about 5lbs 1oz. Thats at 12.8oz for the large sack. Use a lighter one and you are still under 5lbs. I hate picking one pack over another.

Ironman8

WKR
If you treat the load shelf in the SG like you would the middle section of the Nomad, the flexibility is pretty much a wash. That's what I was referring to earlier when I said that they both offer the same flexibility but in different ways. I also have some weights written down for each system that I'll post up later. Not that one pound really matters a whole lot, but I believe that was about the difference between the two with the SG being lighter. It's also cheaper.

jmez

WKR

I'm in the same boat and still deciding but leaning toward the SG Sky 5100. I tired out a SG Terminus last year, and currently have a Kifaru T1. Used and Eberlestock Blue Widow for three years.

Haven't gotten my hands on a Sky but the addressed/fixed the issues that concerned me with the Terminus. I was iffy on the belt. With the added lumbar pad it was ok for me. I like the belt on the Kifaru much better, now that SG has the three piece that should be a wash. The lack of access other than the top lid, this was a deal breaker for me. I don't like reaching around blindly in a three foot long bag trying to find something. Those were my only issues with the pack.

The Kifaru is nice but the lack of any sort of functional load compression system on a high end pack without purchasing a $20 add on kit rubs me the wrong way. Not sure if it was an afterthought or just a way to increase the price, either way , I don't like it.

I like the load shelf function on the SG. I like the compression system on the SG, right out of the box you can put a load anywhere you want it and keep it there. As the T1 comes heavy loads fall to the bottom of the bag and it sags pretty low, they also shift a lot, esp coming down a steep hill.
The two packs are essentially the same size. The SG is over 1.5lbs lighter, it is cheaper and is desingned to compress into a more functional day hunting system. Both carry weight well. I can't compare the heavy loads with the new SG belt to the Kifaru belt but with the wrap belt 100lbs was as good as one could expect.

For my needs/wants I think the SG will be a better fit. I am still undecided. Not sure if I'll keep this Kifaru or not. Need more time with heavier loads before I decide.

Eagle

WKR
Finally put in my order for a Sky 5100 this morning. I had a Kifaru Duplex frame with the DT3 bag in 2012 and used that pack a lot, but always had lower back pressure/pain issues and the belt caused me to have bruises on my hip pointers that lasted for a few months. For whatever reason, the Kifaru did not fit me well and the belt that most folks rave about was not comfortable, even had the pack originially fitted by Aron when I picked it up from Kifaru, so there wasn't an issue with stays or anything, just not for me. Through talking with Kurt, who has been an incredible resource any time I've had a question, I feel confident the Stone Glacier won't give me the same problems I had with my Kifaru. I almost bought a solo last year, but decided to hold out and see what Kurt would have for this year, and I'm glad I waited. Looking forward to getting my hands on the pack and giving a full break down on how it works for me after the problems I had with my Kifaru.

I just received my Sky 7400 last night and did a little testing with the 3 piece belt. Very comfortable and the pack layout and design is just simple and effective. I love the streamline look and feel of this pack and will be testing it more this weekend with big loads and various climbs. Kurt was absolutely great to deal with and helped answer a ton of my nit-picky questions. If you read the history of the SG packs, it explains a lot about how their compression system and design evolved.

I finally got my Sky 5100 to go with my Approach and Solo. No time to type up a long in-depth review-bottom line-the Sky 5100 might be the perfect "all around" pack. The bivy mode/combined with the front zip is flat out awesome. It is so versatile that it may put my Solo out of the game! :)

It has been a long frustrating road for me to find the pack(s) that I am ecstatic with. For whatever it is worth, I have the Krux frame, suspension, the approach, solo, and the Sky 5100… and I am done pack shopping.

To be perfectly honest, I ended up with a spare brand new Solo from a buddy, that feels the 5100 is going to cover all the bases. Not the best sales pitch, but I am selling it through the classifieds if someone is looking for just a 3000ci.

LJ Buck

WKR
I just purchased the Sky 5100 after giving KUIU it's last chance on a pack. I am done with spening all the $ on packs that cant handle a load. Cant wait to get the SKY 5100.

I received my Sky 7400 the other day. Got around to loading it up with 105 pounds with the 3 piece belt and it rides very nice. I personally prefer the 3 piece over the single belt. The Sky layout and compression system is flawless. I love the width of this pack and the simplicity of it all. Plus....it's comfortable as can be. My only downside is that my skinny waist only had about 4 inches between the big tri-glides on the hipbelt and the hip belt pulls were not usable. Not a huge deal though, the belt tightens easily anyways and hey....I saved a little bit of weight. I had the 105 pounds of bagged salt (comparable to boned out meat consistency wise) inside the bag and would imagine that with the load shelf mode, it would have stayed just as solid. To me, a stable load is a safe load and more efficient load.

I received my Sky 7400 the other day. Got around to loading it up with 105 pounds with the 3 piece belt and it rides very nice. I personally prefer the 3 piece over the single belt. The Sky layout and compression system is flawless. I love the width of this pack and the simplicity of it all. Plus....it's comfortable as can be. My only downside is that my skinny waist only had about 4 inches between the big tri-glides on the hipbelt and the hip belt pulls were not usable. Not a huge deal though, the belt tightens easily anyways and hey....I saved a little bit of weight. I had the 105 pounds of bagged salt (comparable to boned out meat consistency wise) inside the bag and would imagine that with the load shelf mode, it would have stayed just as solid. To me, a stable load is a safe load and more efficient load.

Kurt might trade you for a smaller belt. I had to swap a buddy for his large as the XL fit me like you described.
I agree with your findings. These packs are it man! I am SO happy to have completed my quest for my perfect pack.

charvey9

WKR
A few field photos of a SG 7400 under heavy weight.

Not sure what that pack weighed, but 150+ would be safe. 9' 10" Kodiak, skinned in the creek so it was soaking wet. Wasn't fun, but it worked, and I didn't have any bruising or pressure points.

A frame pack would have been nicer to strap the hide too, but once we got it on it was solid.

Yk

Nice! Jealous. I haven't even seen a bear yet this spring.