Stone Glacier Sky packs 2014

muleman

WKR
For the guys that have run this pack, what have you had to do to get it "dialed in"

For me I only had to the initial sizing. I used the Krux frame and Approach bag last year to haul a Mtn Goat, two elk, and a mule deer. This was all with the one piece belt.

I changed to the three piece belt, belt pulls and added the Sky 7400 bag. I just got back from a week of backpacking with the 7400 and three piece belt. I did find that after having to carry a second persons pack, who was struggling. That I needed to adjust the belt pulls so I could tighten the belt more without hitting the belt pulls.

I have found the Stone Glacier to be one of the easiest packs to get fit to me.

tttoadman

WKR
For the guys that have run this pack, what have you had to do to get it "dialed in"

I was fortunate enough to get fitted at Schnees when I bought it. I am going to make an adjustment to raise the belt a little higher on the hips to see if I can avoid some slip when packing heavy. Whether that works or not, I am kicking around getting the 3 PC belt.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 5100 with 3 piece belt. To get it dialed in, I put around 30lbs in it so there was some weight to get the right fit. Then it took some adjusting the shoulder straps up and down with the Velcro to fit your torso size. When you get the hip belt at the right spot, just try some different heights on the straps to see what feels right. You can adjust the foam in the hip belt as well. I usually mess with stuff a bunch at first then get it to where it's perfect. This pack is pretty awesome and is very comfortable now that I have everything set up. I've been out with heavier weight (80lbs+) and it's still feeling good so far.

At first, I was skeptical about the hook and loop attachments. But now, I wouldn't want to be without it. The first thing I did was I watched Kurt's video to get an initial set up.
Then, I loaded the pack close to 30 lbs and took it into the field. I have the 3 pc belt and while in the field, I experimented with the extra strip of foam. I started with it in the middle, hiked for a couple miles, then moved it to the very bottom and repeated the process. I tried it at the top, middle and at the bottom. For myself, it seems to work best at the very bottom.
I felt like I had the shoulder straps at the correct height, but it seemed to be sitting too far towards my shoulders. I removed the straps, kept them at the same height but angled them in a little towards my traps. After that process, I felt as if the pack was dialed in. The amount of adjustability on these packs are pretty amazing. I'm a small guy and in most cases, I can't get a pack to fit me correctly. I believe this SG pack can fit a wide range of body sizes/types.

Ryan K Sanpei

I did almost exactly like S2 Bowstrings did, except I just put a 40 pound bag of salt into the pack. Angling the shoulder straps a little bit really made the pack ride superb. The hook and loop attachments are awesome and work well.

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same, just watched the video and adjusted with about 30lbs in the pack. I think I have made one or two minor adjustments since then. I have just added the 3 piece belt and cannot believe how awesome it is!

Buckman

WKR
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The reason I asked this question, was I have a T-1 and can't seem to get the fit right. I have adjusted the crap out of it and can't get the shoulder straps to lay right. May have to try harder or maybe try a Stone Glacier.

Tanner

WKR
I'm loving the 5100. The big center Zip is great, and that 3 piece belt works wonders for us skinny dudes.

Tanner

jns9661

FNG
anyone have any tricks to making the xpac material quieter where the v in the frame behind your head is. Sometimes it gets noisy but only in that spot. not that noisy but you can here it.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Received my Sky 7400 last week and have been out half dozen times with 65 lbs. The shoulder harness is wayyyyy better than my MR 7500. The 3 piece belt is ok, it doesn't sag, but I get sore hip bones. Would be nice to have a little more padding there. I put rectangular fabric bandaids on and it helps. Adjusted how the hip belt pulls (more from the back) which helps a bit. Overall nice pack. Looking forward my first scouting trip in July.

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Ryan,
There are several adjustments we could make to try and alleviate the pressure you are feeling on your hip bones. Depending on how much distance you have between the tips of the foam on the belt, we could swap you out for a longer belt to offer more coverage. Feel free to email or call and I will help however I can.
Thanks,
Kurt
[email protected]
406-531-7506

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan,
There are several adjustments we could make to try and alleviate the pressure you are feeling on your hip bones. Depending on how much distance you have between the tips of the foam on the belt, we could swap you out for a longer belt to offer more coverage. Feel free to email or call and I will help however I can.
Thanks,
Kurt
[email protected]
406-531-7506

Kurt,
When the belt is tight (size medium) the tips of the foam are 1-2 inch away from touching the buckle, so a longer belt would be to big. The pack is comfortable and I probably need to toughen up after a long winter here in Alberta. I don't backpack much during the winter months. Thanks for the support and I'll contact you if the problem persists.

ctdad

FNG
Kurt,
When the belt is tight (size medium) the tips of the foam are 1-2 inch away from touching the buckle, so a longer belt would be to big. The pack is comfortable and I probably need to toughen up after a long winter here in Alberta. I don't backpack much during the winter months. Thanks for the support and I'll contact you if the problem persists.

I had a similar problem and Kurt helped me adjust the pack and now I don't have this issue. I would call him. It was definitely worth my time. My hip pointers were badly bruised from the pack a very minor adjustment and now it doesn't bother me there at all.

justin262

FNG
Not the best example of how to pack a sheep out with a Sky pack but I wanted to say how impressed I am with my Stone Glacier pack. I shot this ram at 9pm and butchered and loaded him on a small cliff edge in the dark. I could of packed this bag better for sure and got the horns attached more securely but I was ready to get back to camp asap. Got back to spike camp at 5:30am. The pack took a beating getting down a pretty gnarly waterfall chute that took 3-4 hours to navigate. I've packed sheep, caribou, moose, deer out with my Barneys external frame in the past and my new stone glacier will be the only pack I'll use from now on.
1htEmUyl.jpg

Not the best example of how to pack a sheep out with a Sky pack but I wanted to say how impressed I am with my Stone Glacier pack. I shot this ram at 9pm and butchered and loaded him on a small cliff edge in the dark. I could packed this bag better for sure and got the horns attached more securely but I was ready to get back to camp asap. Got back to spike camp at 5:30am. The pack took a beating getting down a pretty gnarly waterfall chute that took 3-4 hours to navigate. I've packed sheep, caribou, moose, deer out with my Barneys external frame in the past and my new stone glacier will be the only pack I'll use from now on.
1htEmUyl.jpg

great ram! what range?

i just sold one of my barneys and got a sg sky 7400 but only after i just packed my ram out a couple weeks ago. hopefully ill get to try the sg on a goat here soon!

jherald

WKR
DSCN8538.jpg
Not a Sky bag but a Terminus with a Sky lid. A photo after about ten miles burned at that point. They are excellent packs and for my body and fit, have been the best pack for me so far.

The curve in the sky lid really wraps around the top of the pack and keeps stuff on top. The compression straps were handy to help strap on a game bag with cape, crocs sandals and other stuff. I've got all the meat in the load shelf here and have the compression straps sucked up tight around it all. It held solid.

Kurt is great to speak with and really knows about packs and packing. I'll be adding a 3 piece belt for next season and an access bag so I don't have to get all "gypsy" with stuff strapped to the back of the pack.

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
Not the best example of how to pack a sheep out with a Sky pack but I wanted to say how impressed I am with my Stone Glacier pack. I shot this ram at 9pm and butchered and loaded him on a small cliff edge in the dark. I could of packed this bag better for sure and got the horns attached more securely but I was ready to get back to camp asap. Got back to spike camp at 5:30am. The pack took a beating getting down a pretty gnarly waterfall chute that took 3-4 hours to navigate. I've packed sheep, caribou, moose, deer out with my Barneys external frame in the past and my new stone glacier will be the only pack I'll use from now on.
1htEmUyl.jpg

Is that the 5100 or 7400 Sky Bag?