Stone Glacier M7 Pant and Jacket Review, By Jake Potter

jbwright

WKR
Bump - also interested if anyone has experience w/the M7 set or had a chance to use it in fall/winter '21. Strongly considering this as my late season pant. It's really hard to beat an outer w/side zips btw. Feel like that gets overlooked and has offered tremendous utility on long hikes just being able to dump heat.

@Jpott3 I'm more familiar with the Sitka and Kuiu lineups. Any chance you could compare the SG m7 to something in one of those lineups?

Last edited:

jlpoe

FNG
This jacket and pant set looks perfect for my late 4th season elk hunt in Colorado but would also like maybe some other opinions on comparable brands before I pull the trigger, specifically Kuiu and Sitka. Anyone have opinions?

also, anyone have any coupons or codes for Stone Glacier, it’s a bit pricey but feel they could be worth it. I already own a recently purchased SG Sky 5900 pack with the Xcurve frame and absolutely love it.

thanks in advance

How did you find the sizing on these pants??
I ordered a large for my 34" waist and they fit great as a primary pant over a base layer. I haven't tried them on over a regular soft shell pant but I don't think that's how they're meant to be used. It would have to be extremely cold to use them in conjunction with a regular pant.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also curious how the M7 jacket compares to the jetstream. I have the M7 and its super nice but noisy. The M7 is fully waterproof and windproof and I thought the jetstream was only water resistant. Thought of trading off my M7 for the Sitka if its quieter and rain proof.

sr80

WKR
I ordered a large for my 34" waist and they fit great as a primary pant over a base layer. I haven't tried them on over a regular soft shell pant but I don't think that's how they're meant to be used. It would have to be extremely cold to use them in conjunction with a regular pant.
Do you find the legs to be fairly baggy or are they more streamlined?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also curious how the M7 jacket compares to the jetstream. I have the M7 and its super nice but noisy. The M7 is fully waterproof and windproof and I thought the jetstream was only water resistant. Thought of trading off my M7 for the Sitka if its quieter and rain proof.
I’ve had the Jetstream for a few years and picked up the M7 this year. The Jetstream is a little quieter than the M7. I loved the Jetstream because it’s windproof and it does good in light rain/snow, but found myself no longer taking it after getting the M7. It’s also nice not having to carry my rain gear as it’s all in one with the M7. I don’t have a comparable piece from Sitka to the M7, but I don’t see myself needing to buy something else. The M7 is a very well thought out piece of gear and is perfect for me when it’s wet and cold out.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the Jetstream for a few years and picked up the M7 this year. The Jetstream is a little quieter than the M7. I loved the Jetstream because it’s windproof and it does good in light rain/snow, but found myself no longer taking it after getting the M7. It’s also nice not having to carry my rain gear as it’s all in one with the M7. I don’t have a comparable piece from Sitka to the M7, but I don’t see myself needing to buy something else. The M7 is a very well thought out piece of gear and is perfect for me when it’s wet and cold out.
does the M7 feel as warm as the jet stream?

rgd

FNG
Jake just finished up his latest review on a couple more cool-looking pieces from Stone Glacier. Check it out to see if it has a place in your clothing arsenal.

Stone Glacier M7 review
Jake - Nice review on the M7 Jacket. I see that you wear a large. How tall are you and what do you weigh? I am 5'11 175 and am trying to decide between a large and a medium. If I were to go with a medium, do you think it would be too tight with insulation layers? I have tried on the large and it's pretty big, with long sleeves but I would have no problem with several insulation layers underneath.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Jake - Nice review on the M7 Jacket. I see that you wear a large. How tall are you and what do you weigh? I am 5'11 175 and am trying to decide between a large and a medium. If I were to go with a medium, do you think it would be too tight with insulation layers? I have tried on the large and it's pretty big, with long sleeves but I would have no problem with several insulation layers underneath.

Hey man thanks! I’m 6’ 190 I would get a large so you’ve got room for insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgd

FNG
I tried that in the pants and it was too big. I am definitely a medium in the pant. The Jacket is only offered in Medium or Large... The KUIU brand rain gear Mediums are too small for me to wear with insulation and the large KUIU fits me well. The Stone Glacier large is really long in the cuffs and a little bigger than I would like and I am wondering if the Medium is the way to go in Stone Glacier. I hate ordering on-line and returning and going the whole process, but I might just try both and return one.

Medium/Large is only in pants I believe

You’re right my bad. I’m around 5’ 9” and 175lbs. I wear a Large in both Sitka and Stone Glacier out wear tops. I don’t mind them being a little roomy. The medium is more constricting than I like for an outer piece.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6' 185lbs and the large jacket fits perfectly. Sleeves are long but it's designed that way for glassing. They can be secured shorter with the velcro wrist straps.

schmalzy

WKR

I’m same size and got the large. I’d like to try a medium but happy with the large. It’s still cut athletically and I can fit layers underneath and not feel like I’m drowning in it.

Really like the jacket.

sr80

WKR
im 6`1 195 and wear a large m7, and large in all sg tops. I feel like the medium would be better suited for this guy. I can still layer a puffy under my M7

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
im 6`1 195 and wear a large m7, and large in all sg tops. I feel like the medium would be better suited for this guy. I can still layer a puffy under my M7
I'm 6 even and 200 pounds, 47' chest and I went with a 2xl to make sure I could fit a puffy and heavy weight hoody under and it's perfect. it's a slim fitting jacket in my opinion so with just a shirt and the jacket it still fit fine due to the trim fit on the sides. Hope this helps